eating disorders in JWs

by girl_interrupted 36 Replies latest watchtower medical

• girl_interrupted
    girl_interrupted

What would the Jehovah's Witnesses have to say about eating disorders? Presumably any kind of mental illness is frowned upon and put down to weakness of the spirit.....I know when I was in it, one sister was severely chastised for having depression....she was told to have more faith in Jehovah and presumably when she did, her husband would stop beating her and sexually abusing their kids which was understandably the source of her depression!!

• Ellie
    Ellie

I dont know what their official stance on this is but I know an elder whos wife is anorexic, she is treated like anybody else in the real world would be, she sees doctors and they encourage her to eat.

• defd
    defd

Presumably any kind of mental illness is frowned upon and put down to weakness of the spirit....

Thats not true. Some of the LATESTWatchtowers an Awakes condone seeking medical help if needed.

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon
    Thats not true. Some of the LATESTWatchtowers an Awakes condone seeking medical help if needed.

The fact that a religion has to tell it's members that it's OK to seek professional help for medical/mental conditions shows them for the control cult they are.

• shera
    shera
    LATESTWatchtowers an Awakes

Go figure...latest...

• carla
    carla

Even if they do seek medical help, wouldn't they be looked down upon for doing so? I would imagine the gossip mill would be kept busy for awhile if someone was depressed and seeing a doctor and taking meds. carla

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Thats not true. Some of the LATEST Watchtowers an Awakes condone seeking medical help if needed.

The fact that a religion has to tell it's members that it's OK to seek professional help for medical/mental conditions shows them for the control cult they are.

This is my beef too mtbattoon. Why do you have to wait for a Watchtower or an Awake to give you permission to take care of your health? Isn't it common sense that when you have a foot ailment, you go to a podiatrist. When you have a toothache, you go to a dentist. When you have emotional/mental issues, go see a mental therapist! Do these people honestly have to wait for a 3rd grade reading level magazine to tell them to do that? "Oh, the WTS says it's okay now, so I'm seeing my therapist later this week."

*shaking head*

Don't get me wrong...I understand most R&F JWs just want to be good and obedient. I guess I'm just sad that they feel they can't do anything without checking the bound volumes first...not the Bible...those damn bound volumes. Those are NOT inspired of God.

• defd
    defd

Carla

Im certain some "friends" would look down on that. But we are not serving Jehovah because of the "friends" are we?

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Even if they do seek medical help, wouldn't they be looked down upon for doing so? I would imagine the gossip mill would be kept busy for awhile if someone was depressed and seeing a doctor and taking meds.

Carla, YES! Taking meds isn't so much the issue - you'll be hard pressed to find a pioneer or elder's wife that isn't on Prozac or Xanax nowadays. But talk therapy is a different issue. How dare we air dirty laundry to complete strangers that are not even JWs!!! Problem is, most of the time anti-depressants don't have their full effect unless combined with the tool of talk therapy.

• defd
    defd

But talk therapy is a different issue.; How dare we air dirty laundry to complete strangers that are not even JWs

You are somewhat correct billy. Yes we do need to becareful of WHO we go to for therapy. If we do there is nothing wrong with it. Just need to becareful of the advice that is given. Thats all. No biggie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit