Am I am Apostate??

by Sushi Crow 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sushi Crow
    Sushi Crow

I know what "apostate" means to most of the world. I am interested in the JW perspective. I grew up a JW, but was never baptised. OK, since I was never baptised, technically I was never really a JW. As I understand it, "apostates" are former *members* of churches/ organizations. I would think that means that I am not an apostate. Unless, of course, the Society has a different definition than most of the planet. Could I please get clarifcation on this?

One more question, slightly off topic. If it turns out that I am technically not an apostate, then I would appreciate it if folks could throw out some ideas for venomous words to use in it's place, otherwise I would feel horribly left out - no other word that I know of currently in use could get across the same intensity as "apostate". The Society may pick up on a new term, if we can get the Pope to vehemently dismiss it or approve it. This is an urgent matter, as my bag venemous words that people have thrown at me is seriously depleted. Thanks.

Sushi Crow

• ballistic
    ballistic

The way I understand it, the JWs believe an apostate is someone who leaves their religion and promotes false teachings which is different to the bibles view - which is someone who leaves Christ. There are many here who are therefore not apostates. Some here, on the other hand, like the term apostate due to its rebellious conotations.

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

This is the definition I get,...both going to my own hard copy dictionary and http://www.dictionary.com :

a·pos·ta·sy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (
    n. pl. a·pos·ta·sies

Abandonment of one's religious faith, a political party, one's principles, or a cause.

As I stated in a recent thread. A person is an apostate depending upon their own individual circumstances.

For example...if a person went along with this crap because they were children but never truly believed and they only went with 'the program' to appease a parent...THEY ARE NOT APOSTATE.

If however, at some point they truly believed and left....they would then, technically be apostate.

If you think about it 70-80% of JW's are apostate because they have left their former beliefs to be sucked into this cult.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think the FDS is tightening things and is getting tougher with faders and those that are intimately associated with the org but never were baptised for the latter they may claim that they must know the truth.

You are an apostate if you seek to challenge any of the FDS ideas and pronounce them wrong. The bad practical aspect of this activity that really worries them is that it puts the unity of the org in danger. That's why "apostates" are immediately expelled.

They could also call you a heretic.

• JW83
    JW83

'Worldly' is still pretty bad! And don't think about joining any of those 'Babylon the Great' religions.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Would I be correct in saying that if one was baptised PRE 1995 (or any other flip-flop issue) and held to those beliefs, one would NOW be apostate? As indeed Russell and Rutherford would be?

ALSO would I be correct in thinking that the baptismal affirmation has been changed from allegiance to God (who NEVER changes) to allegiance to the FDS (for OBVIOUS reasons).

• trevor
    trevor

Sushi Crow

I grew up a JW, but was never baptised. OK

Mmm! This makes you A FENCE SITTER in the eyes of JWs. This is a very common stance for a crow.

The JWs wait for such procrastinators to fall on one side of the fence or the other. My advice is to fly away - a choice they have not considered due to their limited ability to see beyond the fence.

• under74
    under74

I don't know about "fence sitter" Maybe with some JWs but not all. I too was never baptized but raised a JW. Every JW I grew up with stopped talking to me including family members. I'm pretty sure they see me as an apostate.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Oh, I love that picture in your profile, under74. Ha ha, especially that church burning in the background, that`s so funny. "A religion of love" for sure. Is it from a WT or an Awake? JWs are so funny. Pictures like that one (and also pics like the harlot riding the beast with the UN-building in the background) are very revealing of what they think of the the world, how much they hate the world!! Cause that`s actually what it is: Hate! And then they whine about how "they are going to be persecuted" in the endtimes. Every time someone uncovers some scandal, like the UN-thing, or how they cover up for pedophiles on a massive scale, they are the ones being persecuted! Such hypocricy! - and they don`t even see it! That religion sickens me so much, I can`t even describe it.

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Hello Sushi Crow

How many of us, with the knowledge that we now have, would say that JWs are the true religion backed by Jehovah, and that their adherence to bible principles is unquestionable. We must therefore assume that they are not the true and accurate religion that we once thought they were. How then can we who are ex-JWs, be viewed as apostate when all we have done is to see that the organisation that we belonged to was inaccurate - apostate surely is some one who goes against Jehovah, not someone who goes against a man-made organisation.

Kaytee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit