friend of mine with dilemma

by burnthepig 20 Replies latest jw friends

• burnthepig
    burnthepig

A good friend of mine has a coworker who is a witness. They have a good working relationship and are somewhat of friends, at least in that arena. Today at work this woman told my friend that she had something important to discuss, that could not be talked about at work. She asked if she could come to her home, or perhaps they could meet for lunch. My friend is fairly certain that she wants to witness to her. She doesn't want to be rude, and doesn't dislike this woman at all...but she also knows she doesn't want to be a Jehovah's Witness! What is the best way to handle this situation?

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

She should say "I would love to meet you for lunch or stop by your house....however I have a strict rule to never talk about religion nor politics at social gatherings". Watch her reaction.... she'll probably stammer, hymm, haw, etc....

Of course she may still invite her over to convert her since JW's have the truth so discussing religion doesn't apply. Kinda like the "NO SOLICITING" signs.

• Scully
    Scully
    A good friend of mine has a coworker who is a witness. They have a good working relationship and are somewhat of friends, at least in that arena.

Your friend obviously values having a good working relationship with her co-worker, and probably wants to maintain it.

Today at work this woman told my friend that she had something important to discuss, that could not be talked about at work. She asked if she could come to her home, or perhaps they could meet for lunch. My friend is fairly certain that she wants to witness to her.

The fact that she has this "something important to discuss, that could not be talked about at work" carrot dangling in front of her is a pretty clear sign that Witnessing™ is part of this co-worker's agenda. She may have been cautioned about discussing her beliefs in the workplace already, and may want to find a way to do it that will not put her job in jeopardy.

She doesn't want to be rude, and doesn't dislike this woman at all...but she also knows she doesn't want to be a Jehovah's Witness! What is the best way to handle this situation?

Your friend could just say, "I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I've heard from a friend of a friend that sometimes Jehovah's Witnesses have ulterior motives in befriending non-Witnesses, in order to try to convert them to the JWs. I really value our working relationship, and would hate to have that change due to religious differences, because I really have no interest in changing my personal beliefs or discussing religion with anyone. I'd like to get that out in the open right now, so that we have an honest understanding. I don't want you to be disappointed if that is what you are hoping for, and I don't want to damage our working relationship either. I'll leave it up to you to let me know if you're still interested in meeting outside of work under those conditions."

• burnieschick
    burnieschick

Perhaps your friend could drop into conversation that she's had a JW knock at her door recently, which made her feel very uncomfortable and had to politely ask the person to leave as she doesn't share the same views or have any religious beliefs. It's only a small white lie, won't harm anyone and would put her views out in the open without causing any direct conflict with her co-worker. She could even ask her friend if she's had anyone knock on her door recently and judge from her response.

• greendawn
    greendawn

She must keep the jw at a safe distance on this preaching issue, so she can always find a polite excuse to prevent her from trying to spend time to persuade her to become a jw.

Depending on her circumstances she can say I am not interested in religion or I am really contented with my present religion.

• Simon
    Simon

She could tacfully shout out "Leave me alone Dub-head !"

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    She asked if she could come to her home, or perhaps they could meet for lunch.

That is the point where I would get the creeps. She has some "important" thing to talk about but won't say what, then invites you to her house.

That's just creepy.

• Buhdee
    Buhdee

If they are friends, she should just say, "As long as it isn't about converting to your religion. I am happy with my own." No beating around the bush, it's out there plain and simple. No hidden agendas and no control issues.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Budhe,

You nailed it. Upfront. Thier relationship is superficial as it is why take it up a notch. Straight out just say it plainly, "I don't want to talk about my religion or any other." She could always ask her witness co-worker to take her to the most expensive gay bar in town for lunch.

W.Once

• not the administrator
    not the administrator

tell her to say that shes a animal lover and that she seen the jws kicks dogs while they go door to door

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit