Tom Cruise (Scientologist) vs. Brooke Shields (Postpartum Depression)

by Scully 12 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Scully
    Scully

NOT WHAT THEY EXPECTED; MOMS WITH POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION OVERWHELMED WITH FEELINGS OF GUILT, WORTHLESSNESS
    The Ottawa Sun
    Thu 28 Jul 2005
    Page: 28
    Section: Lifestyle
    Byline: BY DARLA CARTER, GANNETT NEWS SERVICE

A VERBAL tug-of-war between actors Brooke Shields and Tom Cruise is drawing more attention to a mood disorder that engulfs some new mothers in guilt, fear, shame and secrecy.

The disorder, postpartum depression, plunged Shields into a dark abyss after the birth of her daughter, Rowan Francis, in 2003, until antidepressants and psychotherapy lifted her out.

"I wasn't thrilled to be taking drugs," Shields wrote in an op-ed piece in The New York Times. "In fact, I prematurely stopped taking them and had a relapse that almost led me to drive my car into a wall with Rowan in the backseat. But the drugs, along with weekly therapy sessions, are what saved me -- and my family."

Shields was responding to comments Cruise made after the publication of her new book, Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression (Hyperion, $32.95).

Cruise criticized Shields' drug use and said there's no such thing as a chemical imbalance and referred to psychiatry as a pseudo-science, drawing the wrath of mental health groups from the U.S. to Australia.

The flap caught the attention of researcher M. Cynthia Logsdon, who recently received a national award for postpartum-depression research.

"Tom Cruise is coming off as a jerk," says Logsdon of the University of Louisville and a women's health nurse practitioner.

But "Cruise is actually doing us a favour -- just in terms of ... bringing up the issue on national TV," she says. "It's very difficult now for people to say they've never heard of postpartum depression, and Brooke Shields' book is actually very good."

Postpartum depression affects about 13% of women in the first year after birth and can happen to anyone, says Logsdon.

Contributing factors can include hormonal fluctuations, such as decreased serotonin levels after delivery, stress and, in some cases, major events coinciding with birth, according to the National Mental Health Association.

In Shields' case, her father, who had prostate cancer, died soon before her daughter was born.

Back home after delivery, "I started to experience a sick sensation in my stomach," Shields writes in her book. "It was as if a vise were tightening around my chest. Instead of the nervous anxiety that often accompanies panic, a feeling of devastation overcame me. I hardly moved. Sitting on my bed, I let out a deep, slow, guttural wail. I wasn't simply emotional or weepy, like I had been told I might be. This was something quite different."

Logsdon says it's not uncommon for women to feel down after giving birth. In fact, as many as 80% of women do, she says. But those women have the fleeting "baby blues," whose symptoms generally subside as the mother's hormones start to stabilize, according to the National Mental Health Association.

Women with postpartum depression experience at least two weeks of symptoms that interfere with their ability to function normally, foiling their relationships and their ability to mother, Logsdon says.

MORE THAN 'BABY BLUES'

The difference between baby blues and postpartum depression is "sort of like the difference between a sprinkler system and a rainstorm," says therapist and social worker Dianne Doyle. "Baby blues is not very intense, and it's (of) very short duration."

Postpartum depression "is very intense, and it interferes with a person's ability to make good decisions, to take care of herself, to take care of her other children, to take care of her infant."

"Mom can't read the baby's cues when she has depression," Logsdon says. "Either they don't give the baby enough stimulation or they give them too much stimulation."

Sufferers may have no clue what's really wrong with them or be too ashamed to admit they're not the perfect mom, Doyle says.

"More women need to know about it, learn about it and look for it in close friends or family members."

Logsdon agrees it's important for friends and relatives to be alert and involved, but she warns symptoms might not be readily apparent to them.

Logsdon stresses the importance of formal screening and referrals of women for appropriate treatment.

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists says obstetrical providers should be aware that postpartum depression can be a significant problem and should screen all patients for the condition, says Dr. Paul Gluck of the obstetrics group and an associate clinical professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Miami.

Pediatricians also should be alert, Gluck says, because they are seeing the mother more than any other doctor during that first year.

REPEATED SCREENING

Logsdon says she would like to see all women screened "at every interaction that they have with a health-care provider" during the first year after delivery.

Sufferers can be treated with medication, psychotherapy or a combination of them.

"Rigorous, published, peer-reviewed research clearly demonstrates that treatment works," according to a statement issued by the American Psychiatric Association to counter Cruise. "Medications can be an important and even life-saving part of a comprehensive and individualized treatment plan."

Postpartum depression "can take a very quick turn," Doyle says, developing into a psychosis, and "that's when mothers begin to start considering taking the life of their child or other children in the home."

There's also a risk of suicide, Doyle says.

"Suicide and certainly homicide become a real risk factor, especially if a woman is in isolation and if she doesn't feel or think that she can confide in someone else."

WATCH FOR THE SIGNS:

Suspect postpartum depression if a new mother has symptoms for at least two weeks that keep her from functioning normally. Signs include:

• Strong feelings of depression, anger, anxiety, panic.
    • Feelings of worthlessness or excessive inappropriate guilt.
    • Inability to care for herself or the baby.
    • Trouble doing tasks.
    • Changes in appetite.
    • Trouble sleeping, even when the baby is napping.
    • Much less pleasure -- or none at all -- from things she once enjoyed.
    • Little interest in the baby or excessive worry about the baby.
    • Fear of harming the baby. (Moms rarely act on this.)
    • Thoughts of death or harming herself, including suicide.
    • Agitation or lethargy.
    • Trouble concentrating or making decisions.

ON THE WEB

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    "Tom Cruise is coming off as a jerk,"

Even if Tom Cruise had some good points against psychiatry, he is coming off a some sort of nut case. What I understand about Scientology, they are no better than any other cult.

Will

• talesin
    talesin

Simple.

Tom Cruise belongs to a cult that doesn't believe that mental illness is real.

Brooke Shields experienced a very real episode of a very real mental illness ... PPD.

He's off in a dream world, she's dealing with her problems.

tal

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    Even if Tom Cruise had some good points against psychiatry, he is coming off a some sort of nut case. What I understand about Scientology, they are no better than any other cult.

Scientology is a brand of wacky that makes most JW doctrine look sane, well reasoned, and perfectly legitimate. One of the fundamental tennants of Scientology is that psychology is nothing more than a pseudo science, and there is absolutely nothing that can or should be treated by ANY branch of psychiatric medicine. Of course, one of the other fundamental tennants of Scientology is that long ago a man from another planet gathered up all the negative inhabitants of his world into giant nets, brought them to earth and placed them on two volcanos and then detonated each group with hydrogen bombs rendering them into atmosphere dwelling souls called 'thetans'.

The problem with listening to anyone who espouses the ideology of a high-control organization is that even if some of what they say actually seems to make sense, it's very difficult to overlook the fact that absolute craziness is being asserted as fact right alongside the things that just may be true. It's like saying 'This book on Egyptian Architecture has some wonderful historical references and fascinating information--if you ignore that the central theme of the book is how an alien race from the planet Xantho 5 were the original builders of the civilization."

• foreword
    foreword

I find that people who have never experienced some mental instability / depression are of the impression that these type of illnesses are not real, just a bluff and the person has to just snap out of it, and voila, the problem is solved. Kind of like telling a person with cancer that their cancer is not real and all they have to do is to tell their brain they don't have cancer and they won't.

I did find Tom Cruise a little arrogant on the issue. Typical cult follower.

• patio34
    patio34

Thanks for that article, Scully.

It seems to me that Cruise's statement to Matt Lauer sums it up:

"You don't know the history of psychiatry, Matt. I do."

As far as Scientology and their wild claims along with some truisms, I would counter that even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

• Quotes
    Quotes

"You don't know the history of psychiatry, Matt. I do."

If only Matt's next question were to challenge the statement and reveal that Cruise has received only misinformation: "Really, Mr. Cruise? Tell me, how and where did you study the history of psychiatry? Have you recently obtained a degree in Medical History, and if so, from which institute? Harvard? UCLA? Or is this more a hobby? What books have you read? Biographies of Jung and Freud?"

In short: Tom cruise "knows" psychiatry in the exact same way that JWs are "bible students".

~Quotes, of the "Risky Business Fan, nonetheless" class

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    As far as Scientology and their wild claims along with some truisms, I would counter that even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

True. But you won't find me looking to that clock to see what time it is...

• Quotes
    Quotes

foreword said:
    ===============
    Kind of like telling a person with cancer that their cancer is not real and all they have to do is to tell their brain they don't have cancer and they won't.
    ==============

The really scarey thing is: Scientologists *DO* believe this

Two years ago I was assisting a friend gather some items on his way into the hospital -- he would die there 3 wks later. He was heavily jaundiced due to esophogeal (sp?) cancer spreading to his liver. (Although we wouldn't know that was the problem for a couple more days; all we knew was that he was, literally, yellow and needed some serious medical attention).

As we walked down Toronto's Yonge Street, past the Scientology recruiting centre, we bumped into a client of my sick friend's (my friend was an accountant). This client was/is a Scientologist; we already knew that.

After asking about my friend's health (due to the obvious problems, severe jaundice is not easy to hide) he said something about "we have something to help you here.... seriously, we can help you HERE...[motioning to the Centre]"

It was all I could do not to laugh directly in his face... no, actually I wanted to punch him. Did he actually think that a session on the "E-Meter" would help? Sheesh.

~Quotes, of the "worst month of my life" class

• Evesapple
    Evesapple
    Contributing factors can include hormonal fluctuations, such as decreased serotonin levels after delivery, stress and, in some cases, major events coinciding with birth, according to the National Mental Health Association.

My husbands father died of prostate cancer exactly 1 week after Matt was born, I had a c-section so I was in the hospital 4 days, Matt came 3 weeks early (I think that was meant to be)....the day we drove home from the hospital we stopped at his father's condo so he could see the baby....the next day he went into hospice care and the following week he passed away....it was awful. However I didn't get medicated until 8 mos later when my baby boy was weaned.....another fluxuation in hormones.... I was also dealing with the fact that my parents (JW)made absolutely no effort in trying to see my boy....so all that coupled with the dreaded winter months....I finally broke down and went to see my doctor. It was absolutely a last resort, due to the fact that, I'm very holistic in taking care of myself, as a personal choice. It was an absolute life saver, it got to a point where I cared about nothing anymore....and apathy is truely the worst emotion. that February was also the month I joined JWD....it was difficult time for me personally. I know that dealing with things holistically is not what always helps, there are other options and for that I'm thankful.

I have since recently weaned myself off the drugs and am feeling great. Tom Cruise is just full of himself. I can respect people's opinions and religeon but when it starts to put down the choices and opinions of others, then they've just crossed the line....those type of people think more of themselves and respect no one else. If anything he's totally damaged his reputation as an actor....and I have a lot of respect for Brooke Shields because she's come out and shown herself to be someone real.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit