Ugly Clothes is it a rule???

by tattoogrl333 37 Replies latest jw friends

• ReverendRoy
    ReverendRoy

Hey tattoogirl
    Ok, I am really dating my self here...but back when I was still involved (1978-79), not only what I wore caused a problem, but how long my hair was. I was continually counciled about the length of my hair and "modern" clothes. I mean my hair actually touched my collar, what was I thinking........

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

hi waiting,
    To answer your question, the Goodwill and the Salvation Army Thrift Store are one and the same, at least here in Kansas. The D.A.V. is the Disabled American Veterans store. I know of a Pioneer who shops at both of these stores. So does the presiding overseer in the A------ Congregation. I am not ready to give my exact location. But near Wichita we will say.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

So in light of this thread , I'll modify the original thrust and what I was trying to get at in the thread about your tats( this is copied from the other thread, BTW).

TattooGrll, look around at the people in your KH. They may seem like a friendly bunch of eccentrics, but what is the message they're conveying to you? Is it likely that the more time you spend with them, the more subtle pressures will be brought to bear for you to be like them? After all, THEY are all like them! If you continue to do what they want in order for them to accept you, what do you think you will be wearing in, say, three years time? Long dark skirts, long-sleeved, high-necked tops and sensible shoes? As Tergiversator says, will your colourful, cheery tattoos which give you such joy now be a source of shame and regret?

I know I look like I'm just trying to bag the JWs and dig up any negative I can find. I suppose you've been warned that Satan's minions will do whatever they can to prevent you from joining "the Truth". What I'm doing is asking you to wonder if these "free" Bible studies you're doing with the Witnesses come with a hidden price tag, and if, at the end of the day you're willing to pay that price. If, after careful thought and consideration, with your eyes open and fully aware of what's being asked of you, you decide to continue with them, then so be it, and more power to you!

Q: How do you know a Dub loyal to "Jehovah's Organisation" is lying?
    A: Their lips are moving.

• Babykins
    Babykins

Tina,

I had forgotten all about the SUBJECTION thing. Been out for 5 1/2 years now. My grandmother had to conduct the meeting before going out in service one time. There was an unbaptized brother there so she had to cover her head. No one had a hat so she put a tissue on her head. I cant believe I had forgotten all about that until you mentioned the covering of ones head.

Babykins

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

I'll never forget a conversation I overheard between some Bethel workers in the pressroom and the assistant pressroom overseer. He was telling us about his vacation back home and the special talk he was asked to give on Sunday. He said after discussing any problems in the congregation with the elders he decided that the only criticism he could come up with to harangue them about in his talk was that some of the "brothers" wore colored dress shirts to meetings and out in service instead of white shirts. Does this tell you anything about the JW attitude towards dress?

• Tina
    Tina

Hi babykins
    And welcome aboard!!
    The women can probaly recall some of the goofier things we had to wear on our heads in a pinch lol.
    Tissues,yes remember that well :> Once a sis put an open awake on her head-no tissues vailable and using the tp just didnt seem well right lol. The bobble topped winter hats were always a hoot. Just always took away from the dignity of the moment yanno? lol regards,Tina

• larc
    larc

Waiting,

I think you are right about the convention being a dress up occasion. The preferred style of most of the single sisters was a long, flowing, and upscale dress. They were covered but the dresses clung to them, so they could still show off their stuff.

They did wear name tags, so that would account for the fact that they didn't give me much notice.

One a side note, the talks were uneventful and bland. I could only take a few hours of it.

• Vitameatavegamin
    Vitameatavegamin

Where I live, I have noticed the necklines getting deeper and the skirts getting shorter. but, I am not offended. These styles are cute, as long as they dont get too extreme.

Personally, I feel that there is a real lack of dressing these days.
    I see people coming out of churches looking like they just came from a backyard BBQ. I think it is shameful. We should at least show some respect when we do attend the Kingdom Hall or church,whatever the case may be. People today dont seem to place much importance on how they look. There are still occasions where we should have some sort of dress code. I have been to weddings and even some other formal occasions where people have shown up jeans and T-shirts. Myself, I think this is ridiculous.

As Christians, we can at least show some respect when we do choose to worship not only by our conduct, but by how we look as well.

Thanks!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit