Transit officials describe signs to look for in terrorists-Gotta see this

by ohiocowboy 10 Replies latest social current

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Read the highlighted part below, and you will see who officials are saying are possible terrorists....Having been on Public Transportation, to me it would descibe 75% of people riding, especially now in 90 plus degree heat. Could statements such as the one below cause someone to get attacked, or worse, who happens to be sweating more than others, or is wearing too much cologne? Could such generic statements cause mass hysteria, something that officials want to avoid? Yes, we need to be aware of the situations around us, and need to be on the lookout, but it seems like we could get some better indicators of who is most likely to actually be a terrorist.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--transitsecurity0726jul26,0,1822623.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork

U.S. transit officials urge riders to be more vigilant

By DEVLIN BARRETT
    Associated Press Writer

July 26, 2005, 3:29 PM EDT

WASHINGTON -- Subway and commuter train riders must take a greater role in their own security to help thwart a London-style transit attack in the United States, officials told Congress Tuesday.

Transit security officials from New York City, Los Angeles, and the nation's capital, stressed the importance of low-tech solutions, like asking the public and transit workers to be on guard for suspicious behavior.

"The most important technology that is out there, right there today, is the human element," said William Morange, head of security for New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which operates the city's subways, buses, and commuter trains.

New York subway and bus riders are being told to look out for passengers with clenched fists, or who are sweating profusely, or reek of excessive cologne _ all possible indicators of a suicide bomber."It's very important that our customers and our employees are fully made aware of their surroundings, and that's something that falls on us," Morange told a House Homeland Security subcommittee.

High tension in New York's streets and tunnels was dramatized Sunday when police surrounded a double-decker tour bus after a company supervisor reported male passengers looking suspicious. Mayor Michael Bloomberg has since apologized for the handcuffing of the five British tourists, and urged emergency callers "to exercise common sense."

After Tuesday's hearing, the head of emergency response for Los Angeles' transit system said he believed a London-style terrorist attack was "inevitable."

"I and my colleagues already believe that terror cells are here," said Paul Lennon of the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Authority.

Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., who chaired the hearing, said he supported additional funding for technology and training, but did not want the government to repeat the overspending mistakes that followed the 2001 terrorist attacks.

But another Republican, Rep. Dave Reichert of Washington, a former sheriff, said it was time the government did more to pay the everyday salary costs for police forces who assign officers to anti-terrorism work.

"They feel like ... the federal government has let them down," said Reichert. "We need help in providing personnel, especially when it comes to the metro systems."
  • kls
    kls
    New York subway and bus riders are being told to look out for passengers with clenched fists, or who are sweating profusely, or reek of excessive cologne _ all possible indicators of a suicide bomber.

Swell , just swell ,so if you close your fists you are suspect and if you are hot and a person that sweats alot you are suspect, if you happen to splash to much cologne on in the morning you are suspect. You make the mistake of doing all these ,you maybe a terroist.

Can you imagine how scared a person will be to close their hands or afraid to sweat ,or in the back of their minds ,, " did i put to much cologne on this morning "

Who was it again that is causing terror

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Yes, it seems that soon everyone will be paranoid of each other. Also, I fear that there will be so many calls made to 911 about someone sweating, or someone who smells to much of cologne, that if someone is actually seen with wires attached to them or something that really points to a terrorist, they may not be able to get through to emergency services, or could be delayed.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Don't use the transit system if you're going on a first date...you could be "profiled" as a terrorist...

Dang...

u/d (of the wishes a meteor would land on OBL..class)

• kls
    kls

Or someone taking the law into their own hands and hurting this innocent person. I know that yes maybe some terrorist may have had these things but come on , these things could be anyone any day. This sounds so scary and i can see nothing but bad coming from this .

No subways here in Wisconsin and now i am glad.

• kls
    kls

Not speaking to U/D till he comes back to his rootsUncle Who Dat , where are you?

• upside/down
    upside/down

I can still fling poo with the best...

Just wait till it's in the Olympics...

u/d (of the monkeys uncle class)

• kls
    kls
    I can still fling poo with the best...

• upside/down
    upside/down

Okay... is this better?

u/d(of the dapper monkey class)

• talesin
    talesin
    Could such generic statements cause mass hysteria, something that officials want to avoid?

OC

What is the best way to control people? Fear and ignorance. Any thoughts?

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit