Are you a ‘fixer’?

by jeanniebeanz 23 Replies latest jw friends

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Are you a ‘fixer’ or a ‘buyer’?

When I was a little kid, I mean from about four-years-old, I was fascinated with what made things ‘tick’. Mom knew better than to leave me alone without something really interesting to figure out. We would go to the second hand store and I’d get a clock or a radio or an old turntable for a few pennies because it didn’t work anymore. I’d take it home and proceed to take it apart piece by piece. I was absolutely intrigued with making it work again. Fully 90% of the time I succeeded.

Sometimes, mom would bring me her jewelry box to sort out. She had a lot of long chain necklaces and they’d get tangled. She’d try to get them untangled but make it worse. I’d sit there and look at the knots for a few minutes without doing anything. Then, with just a few twists and turns, the entire knot would relax and fall apart. One of the few things that I used to do that she seemed to appreciate was to figure out those damn knots for her.

This has carried over into my adult life. I’m a fixer. If something does not work, people bring it to me to figure out. My friends often bring me a toy or gadget that was supposed to be ‘assemble at home’ and dump it in my lap. Unfortunately, I will sometimes spend way too much time in ‘making it work’ rather than toss it in the junk heap and just buy a new thing.

I also love puzzles. All kinds of puzzles; game puzzles, puzzling people, puzzling problems, puzzling animals that no one else wants. The challenge of fixing the unfixable is a major adrenaline rush for me. I’ve taken dangerous horses that were on the way to the slaughterhouse and turned them into show animals that have sold for as much as $10,000.00. The more lost the cause, the more hooked I am.

I’ll look at a problem from all angles. Something that will frustrate the hell out of me is when people refuse to look at something from a different angle so that they cannot see an obvious answer. Makes me want to scream.

In business or life, people are often amazed at how easy it is for me to fix a complicated issue, but at the same time I cannot seem to grasp some of the most basic principles that are so easy for other people.

Why is it that some of us can look at a very complicated puzzle and just see the answer, but cannot remember to make sure that the socks we are wearing match? Or, we can close an elusive and complicated business deal, but cannot seem to remember to turn off the bathtub spigot before flooding the bathroom?

So, are you a fixer or a buyer?

Jeannie

• Ellie
    Ellie

You sound like my boyfriend, hes a fixer too, infact my house is constantly cluttered with other peoples junk that he is fixing for them.

His mum told me how when he was a kid he made an actual working lawn mower out of mechano, also a device for switching light switches on and off.

Its quite a talent actually and hes saved people so much money, and it keeps him out of trouble.

To his horror I'm the opposite, if it doesn't work buy a new one, thats my motto,

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

raised a fixer, and still a fixer. father is a compulsive fixer.

fixers rule!

TS

• kls
    kls

I like fixing things and if i can't i will rig up a way for it to work ,maybe not the best but it does work . I find things all over the house that i use to make or fix things like my closet door in my bathroom which didn't have one . Everyone told me it was a odd shape and nothing would fit unless i hired a carpenter to have it special made to fit . Well i measured and went to a lumber store and made to best closet door and it fits perfectly.

My mind is always working on changing something ,fixing something and how i should go about it .

• JH
    JH

Although I'm not rich I like buying stuff.

I like new stuff

• kls
    kls

Although I'm not rich I like buying stuff.

I like new stuff

Hey Rat , how bout some tooth caps for them fangs of yours . How do you eat ?

• JH
    JH
    How do you eat ?

Usually tuesday night is garbage night, and rat has lots of garbage cans to eat from.

• kls
    kls
    Usually tuesday night is garbage night,

Hee hee ,,,,sounds yummy

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

My father was the Uber Fixer. He was like Dr. Frankenstien with our lawnmower, he kept that thing alive way past what was natural. I like to buy, but when it needs assembled I love to put it together, and without the help of the instructions. Resorting to the instructions is like a personal sign of weakness.

• luna2
    luna2

I admire fixers, but I'm not much of one. I can put kit-type stuff together okay, I can program my combo VCR/DVD player, I can install DSL on my computer (easy type stuff that has directions), but I don't often try to repair old stuff that has stopped working.

My bedroom window airconditioner just crapped out and I have no intention of taking it apart and trying to fix it. If it doesn't cool off this evening (we have thunderstorms now), I will sleep in the livingroom. LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit