Do you think the Watchtower makes up experiences by people ???

by run dont walk 37 Replies latest jw friends

• run dont walk
    run dont walk
    In the May 1, 1988 Watchtower, on page 22, a Witness, Matsue Ishii, recalls her first encounter with the Bible Students in 1928:
    At the back of our house in Tojo-cho, Osaka, there was a house with a sign: "Osaka Branch of the International Bible Students Association." Assuming it to be a Christian group, I visited the house. "Do you believe in the second advent of the Lord?" I asked the young man who came to the door. "Christ's second advent was realized in 1914," he answered. In astonishment, I told him that was impossible. "You should read this book," he said, handing me The Harp of God.
    Yet, what does it say about this in The Harp of God? Beginning on page 235:
    This date, therefore, when understood, would certainly fix the time when the Lord is due at this second appearing. Applying the same rule, then, of a day for a year, 1335 days after 539 A.D. brings us to 1874 A.D., at which time according to Biblical chronology, the Lord's second presence is due. . . . The searcher for truth can find an extensive treatment of this question in Volumes 2 and 3 of Studies in the Scriptures .
    Another long-time faithful Witness, Jack H. Nathan, recalls his first meeting with the Bible Students:
    After the war ended in 1918, there was no work available in England, so I rejoined the army and went off to India as part of the peacetime garrison. In May 1920 the malaria flared up again, and I was sent up into the hills to recuperate. There I read all the books I could get my hands on, including the Bible. Reading the Scriptures intensified my interest in the Lord's return. Months later, down in Kanpur, I started a Bible study group, hoping to learn more about the Lord's return. It was there that I met Fredrick James, a former British soldier who was now a zealous Bible Student. He explained to me that Jesus had been present since 1914, invisible to man. This was the most thrilling news I had ever heard."
    --The Watchtower, 1 September 1990, page 11
    This fellow's recollection is also not supported by the Society's doctrinal history. His own account placed his experience in or about the year 1920, more than a decade before the Society switched their official doctrine of Christ's second coming from 1874 to 1914.

It is not to question the integrity of the people who recall such personal experiences. Surely it was not their intention to confuse the details of their own story. Rather it illustrates the power of repetitious indoctrination over time to distort a person's recollection. But the real question here is how do such discrepancies could get past the editors of the Watchtower. Are their writers and editors so unfamiliar with their own history, as published in their own literature? Or do even those who write the supposed spiritual nourishment from Jehovah, themselves, become subject to the mind alterating effects of their own indoctrination? Otherwise, how can such blatant misrepresentation be defined as anything less than dishonest? Yet does an organization, which claims to speak for the Almighty Sovereign of the Universe, not bear a heavy responsibility to speak the truth? In conclusion, perhaps they have answered the question as well as anyone:

A religion that teaches lies cannot be true."
    --The Watchtower, 1 December 1991, page 7

How could people be giving experiences on the invisible presence of Christ being 1914, when the belief did not start until the 1940's, nowhere in the Harp of God does it state Christ's presence began in 1914.

I remember hearing an experience of a brother who turned down a job at the World Trade Center, to pioneer instead, and of course the following Monday the attacks took place, so Jehovah was protecting him.

Do you think the writing deptartment makes up these experiences ???

Any experiences you heard that made you think it was a little far fetched ???

Could someone please post the original articles form the Watchtower, May 1, 1988 and Sept 1 1990.

• Honesty
    Honesty

A CO (J. Cantwell) once told my cong. from the platform that he personally talked with a Baptist pastor who agreed the WTBTS had the real truth but couldn't teach what the JW's were teaching because he would lose his flock. I believed it before I became a Christian and found out that most Baptist pastors feel sorry for the JW's spiritual condition because they are being deceived to the limit by Satan and his human minions.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS "edits" them.

JWs edit their memories too. That is why some don't remember the 1975 "fervor" and act like only a "few" misguided JWs on the edge promoted the idea.

Didn't they edit history in Orwell's 1984?

Blondie

• Legolas
    Legolas

I don't know which one you want but here's one

A

People Walking in Jesus’ Footsteps

"We walked in the same spirit, did we not? In the same footsteps, did we not?"—2 CORINTHIANS 12:18.

"AS A group, they’re polite, responsible, and do well in school. This cannot be said of other groups." So said the principal of an elementary school in the United States. Whom was he speaking about? The children of Jehovah’s Witnesses who were pupils in his school. Indeed, many have noticed that Jehovah’s Witnesses, including their children, often resemble other Witnesses in certain ways. Over the years it has become increasingly apparent that they are remarkably united as regards beliefs and conduct. So the Witnesses are not difficult to recognize.

The unity of Jehovah’s Witnesses is something unusual in this disunited world. But it is not hard to understand if we remember that all of them are striving to walk in Jesus’ footsteps. (1 Peter 2:21) Such unity was also a characteristic of first-century Christians. On one occasion, Paul admonished the congregation in Corinth: "Now I exhort you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ that you should all speak in agreement, and that there should not be divisions among you, but that you may be fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought." (1 Corinthians 1:10) Paul also gave inspired counsel on how to deal with persons unwilling to maintain Christian unity.—See Romans 16:17; 2 Thessalonians 3:6.

About the year 55 C.E., Paul sent Titus to Corinth to assist in making a collection for needy brothers in Judea and possibly to see how the congregation was reacting to Paul’s counsel. When later writing to the Corinthians, Paul referred to Titus’ recent visit and asked: "Titus did not take advantage of you at all, did he? We walked in the same spirit, did we not? In the same footsteps, did we not?" (2 Corinthians 12:18) What did Paul mean by their walking "in the same spirit" and "in the same footsteps"?

He was expressing the unity that existed between him and Titus. Titus was Paul’s occasional traveling companion, and he no doubt learned much from Paul in this way. But the unity existing between the two was based on something stronger than that. It was based on their fine relationship with Jehovah and on the fact that both of them were footstep followers of Christ. Titus imitated Paul just as Paul imitated Christ. (Luke 6:40; 1 Corinthians 11:1) So it was in Jesus’ spirit and in his footsteps that they were walking.

It is not strange, then, that Christians of this 20th century, walking "in the same spirit" and "in the same footsteps" as Paul and Titus, enjoy an unequaled unity. In fact, the disunity of nominal Christians betrays them as being counterfeit Christians, not walking in the footsteps of the Leader they claim to follow. (Luke 11:17) This striking difference between true and nominal Christians can be illustrated in various ways. Let us mention four.

The

Sanctity of Blood

About the year 49 C.E., the governing body of the first-century congregation sent out a letter that answered the question: Should non-Jewish Christians obey the Law of Moses? The letter said this: "The holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you, except these necessary things, to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication." (Acts 15:28, 29) Notice that among the "necessary things" was abstinence from blood. Walking in Jesus’ footsteps would mean not taking blood into the body either orally or in any other way.

This principle has been flagrantly violated in Christendom by the practice of administering blood transfusions. True, in recent years a number of individuals have become aware of the health hazards of blood transfusions and have refused them for medical reasons. This is particularly true since many have contracted AIDS from transfused blood. But who uphold the sanctity of blood out of respect for God’s law, doing so as a group? When a patient objects to having a transfusion, whom does the doctor automatically think him to be? Does the doctor not usually say: ‘You must be one of Jehovah’s Witnesses’?

Antonietta lives in Italy. About eight years ago she was very sick, and her blood count was so low that doctors insisted that transfusions were needed to save her life. She refused and was opposed by both doctors and relatives. Even her two little boys pleaded: "Mama, if you really love us, take the blood." But Antonietta was determined to remain faithful, and happily she did not die. Still, her condition was so serious that a doctor said: "We can’t explain why she’s still alive." But once an unobjectionable type of treatment was begun, she made such rapid progress that another doctor remarked: "I can’t believe it—you just couldn’t have recovered in such a short time, not even if we had pumped blood into you all day long." Currently, she is a regular pioneer, and her two sons, now 12 and 14, are making fine progress in the truth. Antonietta courageously observed that ‘necessary thing,’ the sanctity of blood. All of Jehovah’s Witnesses hold the same view as they walk in Jesus’ footsteps.

Good

Morals

Another ‘necessary thing’ highlighted in that letter from the first-century governing body was "to keep abstaining . . . from fornication." In his first letter to the Corinthians, Paul enlarged on this, saying: "Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men . . . will inherit God’s kingdom." (1 Corinthians 6:9, 10) Christians help people who wish to serve Jehovah to rid themselves of these unclean practices. Even members of the congregation who get ensnared by them are helped to purify themselves if they turn around and repent. (James 5:13-15) But if any Christian falls into such filthy practices and refuses to repent, a straightforward Bible rule applies. Paul was divinely inspired to say: "Quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator. . . . Remove the wicked man from among yourselves."—1 Corinthians 5:11, 13.

Despite this clear teaching, Christendom is riddled with immorality. Clergymen who water down the divine standards are to blame for this situation, as are those who pay lip service to Bible standards but fail to enforce them courageously in their congregations. Nevertheless, in this, too, Jehovah’s Witnesses as a people walk in Jesus’ footsteps.

Consider Jose, from the Philippines. At 17 he was already known as a troublemaker and a gambler. He was often drunk, was living an immoral life, and frequently landed in jail for stealing. Then he came in contact with Jehovah’s Witnesses. "The study of the Bible completely changed my life," he says. "I no longer drink and smoke, and I have learned to control my temper. I now have a clear conscience, having just one wife. I have also gained the respect of my neighbors, who used to call me ‘Jose, the notorious one’ and ‘Jose, the ghost.’ Now they call me ‘Jose, the Witness of Jehovah.’ My son and my nephew are ministerial servants in the congregation where I presently serve as an elder and a regular pioneer." Jose and millions of other Christian witnesses of Jehovah walk in Jesus’ footsteps as morally clean Christians.

Neutrality

In the long prayer that Jesus offered on the last evening he was with his disciples, he mentioned another way that his followers would ‘walk in his footsteps.’ Speaking of his disciples, he said: "They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world." (John 17:16) This means that Christians are neutral. Rather than taking part in politics or national conflicts, they tell others about God’s Kingdom, the only solution to this world’s problems.—Matthew 6:9, 10; John 18:36.

This principle of neutrality has been forgotten by most members of Christendom, for whom national origins are usually more important than religious affiliations. Syndicated columnist Mike Royko points out that "Christians" have never been "squeamish about waging wars on other Christians," adding: "If they had been, most of the liveliest wars in Europe would never have occurred." That Jehovah’s Witnesses maintain strict Christian neutrality in times of war is a well-known fact. But as footstep followers of Jesus, they are also neutral on social and political issues. Thus, nothing disturbs their remarkable worldwide unity.—1 Peter 2:17.

Their neutrality sometimes brings unexpected results. In the Tsugaru district of northern Japan, for example, elections are taken very seriously. But Toshio, assistant manager in the Finance Department of a local governmental office, refused for reasons of conscience to get involved in the mayor’s reelection campaign. This resulted in his being demoted to a low position in the Department of Sewage. A year later, however, the mayor was arrested and forced to resign because of corrupt practices. A new mayor was elected. When he heard about Toshio’s demotion, he restored him to a high administrative position, and this brought blessings to Toshio’s Christian brothers. How? Toshio explains that it is very difficult to obtain permission to use gymnasiums for gatherings other than athletic events. But in his present position, "Jehovah has been able to use me"—quoting Toshio’s own words—"to obtain the use of such gymnasiums for three district conventions and four circuit assemblies." He concludes: "Provided we remain faithful, Jehovah will open up unimaginable ways to use us."

In

the Home

Another field in which Christians ‘follow in Jesus’ footsteps’ is in the home. The Bible establishes Jesus’ example as the model for domestic relations when it says: "Be in subjection to one another in fear of Christ. Let wives be in subjection to their husbands as to the Lord, because a husband is head of his wife as the Christ also is head of the congregation . . . In fact, as the congregation is in subjection to the Christ, so let wives also be to their husbands in everything. Husbands, continue loving your wives, just as the Christ also loved the congregation and delivered up himself for it."—Ephesians 5:21-25.

Christendom today for the most part ignores this counsel and is thus full of shattered families. Broken homes are common, and parent-child conflicts often go very deep. "The family is falling apart," observed a psychology professor some years ago. Child psychologists, marriage counselors, and psychiatrists have only limited success in holding endangered families together. But Jehovah’s Witnesses try hard to apply Bible principles and are noted for better-than-average family relationships.

Aldemar, for example, was a lieutenant in Brazil’s military police and had family problems. His wife left him and sought a legal separation. He began drinking heavily and even attempted suicide. Later, his relatives, who are Jehovah’s Witnesses, spoke to him about the Bible. He liked what he heard and began studying. Wanting to harmonize his life with the stand of neutrality for which Jehovah’s Witnesses are noted, he requested a discharge from the military. Aldemar and his wife resolved their marital differences by applying the Bible principles that Aldemar was learning. Today, they are following in the footsteps of Jesus, serving Jehovah together as regular pioneers.

Obedient

Because of Love

It is evident that Jehovah’s Witnesses are unitedly walking in the spirit and in the footsteps of Christ Jesus. As individuals and as a group, they are being spiritually blessed for doing so. (Psalm 133:1-3) The obvious evidences of divine blessing on them have motivated multitudes of honesthearted people to act in harmony with the prophecy at Isaiah 2:2-4. In just the past five years, 987,828 have taken the necessary steps for dedication and then presented themselves for water baptism. Lovingly, Jehovah has placed no arbitrary limit on the number of people who can do this before "the great tribulation" strikes!—Revelation 7:9, 14.

As the above experiences demonstrate, the spiritual blessings enjoyed by God’s people are often accompanied by tangible benefits. For example, by abstaining from smoking, by living moral lives, and by respecting the sanctity of blood, they may avoid falling victim to certain diseases. Or because of living in harmony with the truth, they may benefit in an economic, social, or domestic way. Any such tangible benefits are viewed as a blessing from Jehovah, and they prove the practicalness of Jehovah’s laws. But the possibility of gaining such practical advantages is not in itself the main reason for obeying God’s laws. True Christians obey Jehovah because they love him, because he deserves their worship, and because doing his will is the only right thing. (1 John 5:2, 3; Revelation 4:11) It is Satan who contends that people serve God solely for selfish benefits.—See Job 1:9-11; 2:4, 5.

Modern-day witnesses of Jehovah walk in the same spirit as the three faithful young Hebrew witnesses of Daniel’s day. When threatened with being cast into a burning fiery furnace, these said: "If it is to be, our God whom we are serving is able to rescue us. Out of the burning fiery furnace and out of your hand, O king, he will rescue us. But if not [that is to say, even if he lets us die], let it become known to you, O king, that your gods are not the ones we are serving, and the image of gold that you have set up we will not worship." (Daniel 3:17, 18) Irrespective of immediate tangible benefits or consequences, Jehovah’s Witnesses will continue to follow closely in Jesus’ footsteps, knowing that everlasting life in God’s new world is assured! As a united people, they will continue walking "in the same spirit" and "in the same footsteps," come what may!
  • daystar
    daystar
    Do you think the writing deptartment makes up these experiences ???

I doubt they make them up entirely. I think they likely take artistic license and that they pick the most positive ones. (I wonder how many bad stories they have to shuffle through to find one good one?)

• Legolas
    Legolas

Jehovah Does Not Forsake His Servants

As told by Matsue Ishii

FOR nearly a year, I had been held in solitary confinement in a tiny, filthy, flea-infested prison cell in Sendai, Japan. For that whole time, I wasn’t allowed to take a shower or a bath. My flesh was ulcerated, eaten by bedbugs. I was so racked by rheumatism that I could neither sit nor stand. Reduced to skin and bones and weighing less than 70 pounds [30 kg], I was near death.

But why was I there? Why had the authorities banged on my door at five in the morning, June 21, 1939, and arrested me? What had I done? Those were difficult times nearly 50 years ago in Japan. Let me tell you about them and about the circumstances that landed me in prison and about how I survived.

My Early Life

I was born in 1909 in Kure City, Japan, just 16 miles [25 km] from Hiroshima. My parents ran a rice shop and a kimono store. When I was nine, the Spanish flu hit our area, and soon coffins with dead bodies were piled around the crematorium. My elder sister and I caught the disease, and a week later she died. At her sudden death, I began to wonder: ‘Why do people die? What happens to them at death?’

Father was a zealous Buddhist, and to find the answer, I visited various Buddhist temples. I would ask the monks there: "Why do men die?"

"You don’t have to think about things like that," they would answer. "If you continue to rely on Buddha and chant your mantras, you’ll be certain of attaining Nirvana and entering paradise."

When I was 17, I learned about a book called the Bible. I obtained one but could not understand it. Later I started to attend a "Christian" church in Kure City. When I heard that man’s death was the result of Adam’s sin, it made sense to me, and I became a zealous church member.

At that time the opinion often voiced in rural towns was: "Yaso [Christian] religion will ruin the country." As I was the first zealous "Christian" in our area, the townspeople accused me of bringing shame on the town and almost compelled me to leave. My parents were very displeased with me.

Learning Bible Truth

In an effort to make me abandon my faith, Father arranged for me to marry a total stranger, Jizo Ishii, a zealous Buddhist. His elder brother was a chief priest of a Buddhist temple. I was told that although Jizo was not a Christian, he would be understanding about my faith. So I moved to Osaka and at the age of 19 married Jizo, who was a tailor. But contrary to what my father had said, Jizo wouldn’t permit me to attend church.

At the back of our house in Tojo-cho, Osaka, there was a house with a sign: "Osaka Branch of the International Bible Students Association." Assuming it to be a Christian group, I visited the house.

"Do you believe in the second advent of the Lord?" I asked the young man who came to the door.

"Christ’s second advent was realized in 1914," he answered.

In astonishment, I told him that was impossible. "You should read this book," he said, handing me The Harp of God.

To keep my husband from seeing the book, I hid it in a straw bag containing charcoal and read it whenever I could. Each fact struck me like a thunderbolt—only 144,000 are going to heaven; Christ is not a part of a Trinity but is the only-begotten Son of Jehovah, the almighty God; we are living in the time of the end; and the Spanish flu that took my sister’s life was a part of the fulfillment of Bible prophecy. I was convinced that this was the truth I had been searching for.

Eventually, my husband found out that I was reading a Christian book. However, when I took a firm stand for my faith, he began wondering whether something very important was involved and so read The Harp of God himself. I was baptized the following year, March 23, 1929, and my husband was baptized shortly afterward.

Serving as Colporteurs

We closed the tailor shop and dismissed the employees. Filled with joy, we set out in door-to-door preaching activity in Osaka. In September 1929, I became Japan’s second colporteur, as full-time ministers were then called, and my husband joined the colporteur ranks later. Together we covered three quarters of Japan, including Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Tokyo, Sendai, Sapporo, Okayama, and the island of Shikoku. We stayed in each place for about six months, renting an apartment and concentrating on literature distribution.

We used literature that was available in Japanese, such as the books The Harp of God, Deliverance, Creation, Reconciliation, and Government, as well as The Golden Age (now Awake!) and The Watchtower. As colporteurs, we spent 180 hours a month going from door to door. Although we were physically exhausted, our joy in serving was great.

Japanese colporteurs in those days were not reimbursed for their expenses but received half of the money from literature placements for living costs. Life was not easy. A fellow colporteur died of dysentery. While nursing the patient, I too contracted the disease and was hospitalized. When we served in Nagoya, a fire started next door to where we were staying. We ran down the stairs from the second floor with only the clothes we were wearing, barely escaping with our lives. What few belongings we had and the literature for distribution all went up in smoke, leaving us penniless.

When we were serving in Okayama, my husband ran a high fever for days and was diagnosed as having pulmonary tuberculosis. Tuberculosis was usually a fatal disease then. If death was inevitable, we wanted to go to Sapporo on the northernmost island, Hokkaido, to witness where the preaching work had never been done.

In September 1930, we moved to Hokkaido, where I expected my husband to die. Here the air was fresh, milk and potatoes were inexpensive, and my husband’s health gradually improved. Jehovah never forsook us but blessed us with tremendous joy in our ministry.

When we worked in Sendai for the first time, Mr. Inoue, the president of Tohoku Imperial University, granted me a personal interview. He accepted the books I had with me and then escorted me to the entrance to see me off. While witnessing from door to door, I also met Bansui Doi, a famous man of literature, who translated Homer’s Iliad and Odyssey into Japanese. He accepted the book Creation.

Among appreciative recipients of our message was the Miura family from Ishinomori. Hagino, the wife, was 17 years old when she visited our home in Sendai. After spending the night discussing the Bible, she was convinced we had the truth. Soon the whole family moved to Tokyo, where Hagino and her husband, Katsuo, served as colporteurs. Katsuo died as a faithful Witness, and Hagino is still serving faithfully. Their son, Tsutomu, has been a translator at the Japan branch of the Watch Tower Society for many years.

Temporary Bethel Service

In the 1930’s my husband and I would serve a few months each year in the Bethel located in Ogikubo, Tokyo. At the time, there were about 20 workers there. Two noisy presses printed The Golden Age. Jizo and I worked in the Clothing Department. At the change of the seasons, colporteurs would send damaged clothing to Bethel. We washed, mended, and ironed it and then sent it back to them. We even made new clothing for colporteurs. When this work was completed, we would return to the colporteur work ourselves.

One of my cherished memories of Bethel was in connection with the historic convention in Columbus, Ohio, U.S.A., in 1931. A brother had assembled a shortwave radio to receive foreign broadcasts. Turning the dial all day and all night, we tried desperately to get the convention program. In the middle of the night, the voice of the president of the Watch Tower Society, J. F. Rutherford, came across in full force. Immediately a brother started translating. Thus we heard the resolution to adopt the new name, "Jehovah’s Witnesses," and the thunderous applause of approval. Far away in the Japan Bethel, we raised a shout of joy in harmony with our brothers in America. A few minutes later, the radio reception deteriorated, and nothing more was heard. But Jehovah let us be a part of this historic moment.

Witnessing Despite Opposition

During the worldwide depression after World War I, a whirlwind of nationalism and militarism swept Japan. The emperor was viewed as a living god to whom the integrity of all citizens belonged. But we would tell the people: "There is only one God."

"Are you saying that the emperor is not God?" they would reply.

"There is to be a wonderful future brought about by God’s Kingdom," we would explain.

"Do you want a rule other than that of the emperor?" they would ask. Whatever we said, our words were twisted and we were called traitors. The authorities intensified their censorship of our literature, and the frequency with which plainclothes detectives tailed us increased.

Usually once a year, a public talk was held. Even though we had only about 20 Witnesses in Tokyo, about 500 attended the talk "The Fall of Christian Civilization" in the city’s Yodobashi Public Hall. Policemen surrounded the speaker on the platform, and if he said anything they considered objectionable, a voice would boom, "Speaker, stop!" At that the speaker would tactfully refer to a scripture and read it. Since the Bible wasn’t banned, he was allowed to continue.

Arrest and Imprisonment

Almost ten years after we started in the colporteur work, a wholesale arrest of Jehovah’s Witnesses took place in Japan. On that fateful morning of June 21, 1939, I was taken to the police station in Ishinomaki and thrown into a dark detention room that had soot hanging from the ceiling. Soon I was transferred to Sendai and put into solitary confinement. My husband was arrested too, and I lost all contact with him until after the war.

I lay in that filthy cell almost a year and nearly died. Later I learned that during that period the authorities were conducting an investigation of Junzo Akashi, the overseer of the Japan branch. Finally, my interrogation started. "Fling the Bible on the floor and stamp on it," ordered a reviling investigator. Then he showed me the investigation record of Akashi. At first I thought it was a trick.

"Do you believe in Akashi?" asked the interrogator.

"Akashi is only an imperfect human," I answered. "As long as Akashi followed Bible principles, Akashi was used as a servant of God. But since his statements have deviated from the Bible, he is no longer my brother." Alas, Akashi had indeed abandoned the truth!

Eventually, the sentence was given, and I was confined in the Sendai Women’s Prison. Again I was put in solitary confinement. Meals, although meager, were provided. For 30 minutes each morning, I was permitted to take a walk under the surveillance of a woman warden. Once a warden told me: "If times were better, you would be in a position to teach us. Since times are bad, please be patient." I was encouraged by her words.

Meanwhile, Japan plunged into war with the United States, and this dominated the world scene. Toward the end of 1944, five and a half years after my arrest, I was released. In August 1945 atom bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and Japan lost the war.

From Darkness Into Light

My husband and I returned to Kure City and in the postwar chaos eked out a living by running a tailor shop. Old companions were scattered, and we lost almost all contact with them. However, about four years after the war, we heard that missionaries were coming from the United States, and the Kingdom work would be reopened in Japan.

Taking our six-year-old son, whom we had adopted after the war, my husband attended the first postwar assembly, held in Tarumi, Kobe. It ran from the end of December 1949 into the new year of 1950. Since 1939 the Kingdom work in Japan had experienced a ‘dark age,’ but finally we were being transferred into the light!

In 1951 we heard that Nathan H. Knorr, then president of the Watch Tower Society, was scheduled to visit Japan, but we did not know the date. On April 27, 1951, as we were tailoring clothes until midnight, we heard the day’s final radio news. "Mr. N. H. Knorr, president of the Watch Tower, will visit Japan and deliver a talk at Kyoritsu Auditorium," the announcer said. The next day I boarded a train and traveled the 560 miles [900 km] to Tokyo amid chaotic postwar poverty. On April 29, I was sitting listening to Brother Knorr.

I was thrilled to hear the announcement of the publication of The Watchtower in Japanese for the first time after the war. I went home with the newly published May 1, 1951, issue. I can recall no time in my whole life when I felt happier. "Now the work in Japan is officially reopened," I thought, "and just as was prophesied, Jehovah’s work will increase, one will be a thousand."

Since then we have enjoyed full contact with Jehovah’s organization. In August 1951 Brother Adrian Thompson visited us for the first time as circuit overseer. Meetings were started, and the first two special pioneer brothers in Japan were assigned to Kure City. The congregation gradually grew, and my husband served as congregation servant.

What happened to the some 130 Witnesses in prewar Japan? The bad example of Junzo Akashi, the branch overseer, had a traumatic effect on many. A few became his followers, others were scattered, and some apparently died in the persecution. About a dozen remained active in Jehovah’s service, and some are still blessed with a measure of health and are serving zealously.

As my health improved, I served as a regular pioneer for a few years. When my husband was 71 years old, he vomited a massive volume of blood and was rushed to the hospital. The doctors, thankfully, honored his refusal to accept a blood transfusion. Although he recovered considerably, he died six months later. Our adopted son, Kozo, was a special pioneer for many years and is now a Christian elder.

In retrospect, it seems to me that most of those from before the war who excelled in ability and intellect left God’s organization when subjected to great pressure. Maybe they relied on their own abilities. Those who remained faithful had no special abilities and were inconspicuous. Surely all of us must always trust in Jehovah with all our heart.—Proverbs 3:5.

Eventually the "great tribulation" is certain to come. (Matthew 24:21) We may then face trials that dwarf the previous ones. Enduring them may not be as easy as we imagine. But if we truly rely on Jehovah, really love him and cry out in our heart for his help, just as he did not forsake me, he will not forsake his servants who strive to serve him faithfully.—Psalm 37:25.

[Picture on page 23]

I married Jizo Ishii, a total stranger to me

[Picture on page 25]

When Brother Knorr visited Japan in 1951, he served missionaries and assemblies in Tokyo, Nagoya, and Kobe (above)

• Legolas
    Legolas

Trusting in Jehovah Brings Happiness

AS TOLD BY JACK HALLIDAY NATHAN

You have perhaps heard the expression, "Born with a silver spoon in his mouth." Well, when I was born back in 1897, that was almost literally true in my case.

IT WAS the 60th year of Queen Victoria’s reign, her diamond jubilee. Children born that year in England were presented with a silver spoon. The British Empire was in its glory, reaping the benefits of the Industrial Revolution at home and the prosperous trade from thriving colonies abroad.

My grandfather was a Jew, and my father became a Hebrew scholar, well-versed in the Hebrew Scriptures. But my grandmother was the daughter of an Anglican bishop, and because of her influence, my father accepted Jesus Christ as the Messiah. The writings of Charles Taze Russell influenced both my parents, so we never believed in the Trinity or the hellfire doctrine.

During my childhood, horses were still the main means of transportation in England, and there were few horseless carriages, or automobiles. In 1913, because of my love of horses, I joined a horse-transport unit of the territorial army (militia). With the outbreak of World War I, I was transferred to the regular army and shipped to the Greek front, where I contracted malaria. Later, I was sent to the western front in France as a machine gunner and was eventually taken prisoner in 1917 by the Germans.

Finding a Purpose in Life in India

After the war ended in 1918, there was no work available in England, so I rejoined the army and went off to India as part of the peacetime garrison. In May 1920 the malaria flared up again, and I was sent up into the hills to recuperate. There I read all the books I could get my hands on, including the Bible. Reading the Scriptures intensified my interest in the Lord’s return.

Months later, down in Kanpur, I started a Bible study group, hoping to learn more about the Lord’s return. It was there that I met Fredrick James, a former British soldier who was now a zealous Bible Student. He explained to me that Jesus had been present since 1914, invisible to man. This was the most thrilling news I had ever heard. My first urge was to get out of the army. The bloodshed and death of the European war had disgusted me. I wanted to be a peaceful missionary and preach this good news about Christ’s presence.

The army did not agree to release me, however. Instead, they sent me to western India, now Pakistan. While there, I read Studies in the Scriptures, by Charles Taze Russell, and became more convinced than ever that I should respond to the call to preach. I began to have nightmares that left me depressed. In desperation I wrote to Brother James, who invited me to his home in Kanpur. The day I arrived was the Memorial of the Lord’s death. That day had a great impact on my life—I resolved both to remain single and to make the full-time ministry my goal in life.

Back in England

In late 1921, I was transferred back to England, and in the spring of 1922, I was discharged from the army. That summer J. F. Rutherford, the second president of the Watch Tower Society, came to England, and I went with my parents to hear his talk at the Royal Albert Hall, London. Afterward, I was moved to offer my services at Bethel, as the branch offices of the Watch Tower Society are called, but I was kindly encouraged to do some colporteur work (full-time preaching) first. So I quit my job and accepted a territory assignment in the south of England. With no experience, a crown (50 cents, U.S.) in my pocket, and trust in Jehovah, I started my career as a full-time minister. About March 1924, I was invited to Bethel.

The following year, though, I was asked to leave Bethel, and I was devastated, feeling that I was being disciplined for something that I was not responsible for. In that short time, Bethel had become my life. But by putting the problem before Jehovah in prayer and trusting that his will would be done, I was able to carry on joyfully in the pioneer assignment I was given. In May 1926, I was invited back to Bethel, where I remained for the next 11 years.

Brother Rutherford visited England again in 1936 and invited me to go to Canada to share in the Kingdom work there. However, because of a misunderstanding, I incurred Brother Rutherford’s disapproval by revealing some confidential information. I still remember his exact words: "Jack, I can’t trust you. Tear up your tickets!" What a crushing experience! But it was discipline sorely needed, and afterward, with another brother, I was assigned as a pioneer for the next eight months. This privilege of service lifted me out of my despondency, and I learned from the discipline.

Expanded Ministry in Canada

About a year later, during his next visit to England, Brother Rutherford once again brought up the subject of Canada. I was eager for the opportunity and with alacrity accepted an assignment there. After serving a few months at the Canadian Bethel, I was assigned as a traveling representative of the Society in southwestern Ontario. Most of the congregations there were small and needed much encouragement. But what a joy those early years were, despite physical hardships from severe weather conditions and uncertain transportation!

I’ll never forget the warmth and spiritual appreciation of one small native Indian congregation near Brantford. It was wintertime, and the snows were deep, making it hard for my Model T Ford to get through. Nobody was expecting me, and when I arrived, I found that the brothers had gone into the woods for firewood. So off I went to find them, waist-deep in snow. When I finally came upon them, they were surprised, yet happy, to see me. They dropped everything, came home, and arranged a meeting that very evening.

At nearby Beamsville, faithful brothers and I struggled for many months with elective elders and apostates. What a privilege it was to see how Jehovah’s spirit operated to clear up the situation! Trust in Jehovah and loyalty to his organization resulted in many blessings for the congregations during those early years. Many children from those congregations grew up to enter the pioneer ranks, go to Bethel, enjoy missionary assignments, and become traveling overseers. I have never forgotten the joys of staying with loyal Christian families that produced such fine young people. These families became my family, and their children became my children.

Years Under Ban

During the war hysteria of 1940, the work of Jehovah’s Witnesses was put under ban. What a shock! Government-sponsored radio announcements ordered us to hand over to the police our literature, our congregation records, and our Kingdom Hall keys. Realizing the urgency of the situation, I went around to the congregations and urged them to hide their literature and records. The brothers were encouraged to meet in private homes, at a different home each week. In time the congregations reinstituted the door-to-door ministry, using only the Bible. This proved to be a blessing, as all of us learned to use our Bibles better.

Later that year we received a large supply of the booklet End of Nazism from the United States. Getting this banned literature into Canada required great ingenuity. Some brothers picked up hitchhiking soldiers, who sat on the cartons, unwittingly providing cover for the banned booklet. Then one morning in November, between three and six o’clock, the whole country was blitzed by Witnesses who left a copy of this booklet on the doorstep of most homes in Canada.

During those years of the ban, I continued in the pioneer ministry in Canada’s western province of British Columbia. Before the ban, the brothers used a boat when calling on the people in villages in isolated inlets from Vancouver all the way to Alaska. When the ban went into effect, a great deal of literature was on board, so the Witnesses dropped it off with friendly people en route to the port where the boat was to be taken into custody. Later, I took a fishing boat to locate this literature, and then, during the salmon-fishing season, I arranged for the brothers to pick it up from these interested people. In time the literature was brought to Vancouver for wider distribution, camouflaged in the holds of fishing boats.

In late 1943, we received news that the ban on Jehovah’s Witnesses had been lifted. However, it was not lifted from the Watch Tower Society. So we carried on as before, using only the Bible in our house-to-house ministry. But now we could openly identify ourselves as Jehovah’s Witnesses. When the ban started, we had about 6,700 Witnesses; when it was lifted, we were 11,000 strong!

Life as a Traveling Overseer

As a traveling representative of the Society, I covered countless miles during the next few years, working with and encouraging the congregations. In the winter, I accompanied the brothers in a unique vehicle called a caboose. This was a horse-drawn, covered sleigh, complete with an airtight wood stove and smokestack. Often, starting out before daybreak with as many as six aboard, we traveled through deep snow for 20 miles [35 km] or more, calling at farms along the way. The driver had to be alert because snowdrifts could tip the caboose on its side, spilling out the occupants along with the hot embers from the wood stove.

In 1947, I was appointed to oversee the country’s first district, which took in the entire country. I had a circuit assembly to serve almost every week. Assemblies were held in ice rinks, football fields, racetracks, union halls, and community halls. Arrangements for these gatherings required much attention before the program could begin. In 1950, Frank Franske was appointed as the second district overseer in Canada, and later five more of these traveling overseers were added.

Through the years, I have traveled by light aircraft, by fishing boats, by large snowmobiles with track and skis called bombardiers, by snowplanes (vehicles with a propeller behind and skis up front for steering), and by more conventional means—train, bus, and car. Sometimes, in a plane we would skim the peaks of the majestic Rocky Mountains, then plunge headlong into deep hidden valleys to reach isolated groups of brothers.

I have crisscrossed Canada many times. I have stayed in log cabins so cold we could see our breath in the morning and in farmhouses with no modern conveniences. Yet, through it all, I had a great sense of satisfaction, knowing I was doing Jehovah’s work, encouraging Jehovah’s people.

Additional Privileges of Service

For the past 33 years, I have had the privilege of being a member of the Canadian Bethel family, as well as serving as a convention speaker in England, Europe, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and the Far East. In Australia, I met the daughter of Brother James, who had been so encouraging to me in India. Brother James was never a missionary, but he passed a fine spiritual heritage on to his family.

Today I am surrounded by hundreds of young men and women in the Canadian Bethel. The way they use their youthful vigor in Jehovah’s service is encouraging and stimulating. My eyes are dim, but these younger ones read to me. My legs are weak, but they take me along with them into the field ministry. Some ask how I cope with health problems associated with advancing age. Well, for one thing, I study God’s Word every day. This keeps my mind and heart on spiritual things.

Truly, it has been a great privilege to walk and talk with my heavenly Father, Jehovah, for 69 years of dedicated life, 67 of which have been spent in full-time service. I have always found Jehovah to be a loving, compassionate God, forgiving human frailties and giving power and strength to those trusting in him. My hope is to maintain my integrity and loyalty to Jehovah and his organization to the finish, trusting in the promise that in due time I will be united with my dear Lord, Jesus Christ, and with many of my faithful brothers and sisters in heavenly glory.—Psalm 84:12.

[Picture on page 12]

Snowplanes traveled cross-country at speeds of up to 50 miles per hour [80 km/hr]

[Picture on page 13]

During winter, a horse-drawn caboose was used in witnessing on the prairies of Canada

[Picture of Jack Halliday Nathan on page 10]
  • mapleaf18
    mapleaf18

i agree w/ blondie. lots of revisionism and poetic license

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I agree with Blondie. Also, I think that in some cases, like the glowing reports received by hotel managers (e.g., "The Witnesses are the best guests anyone could possibly ask for: well-groomed, behaved, and big tippers."), it's most likely that they simply found a hotel manager who is a Witness and got him to say something like that. Or, the hotel manager was simply trying to secure the group again for the next year.

SNG

• damselfly
    damselfly

Does anyone on the board know of someone who was in the magazines as an example? Or were you yourself?

Damselfly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit