OMG FLAMES... OMG!!! The SPACE SHUTTLE!!!! OMG... Turn on TV NOW!!!!!!

by SixofNine 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon
    Talesin, No matter how much $$$ you throw at the human issues it will never take care of the problems. There will always be those who steal funds, food, and medicine from those whom it is intended to help. And there are many innovative items which have come from NASA's engineers which benefit humankind. That space shield (heat shield) that looks like saran wrap, which was seen wrapped around the London surviving victims from July 7th bombing. Also treatment of diseases in 0 gravity and plenty of solar energy inventions that keep the batteries running in the satellites and telescopes etc.

I think that is a weak argument for justifying the space programme. All those things and many many more could have been developed if the money had been invested in such R&D. To get them as a spin-off is useful but poor value for money.

I don't see what going to Mars really accomplishes for us.

More should be done to improve the institutions on earth and to protect the eath itself ... why go looking for a new home when we have the best one already here?

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

I think you can't really compare the human issues with the money spend on the space program.
    The money issue is not the main factor in the human issues but it is political. There could be easy solutions without spending more money, if we really start caring.
    however, that is idealistic of course.

I don't see what going to Mars really accomplishes for us.

It is the first step on our journey to the stars.
    reaching the stars is essensial for survival of the human race.

why go looking for a new home when we have the best one already here?

Who says? (I'm not talking about mars now....)

• talesin
    talesin

Panda,

I understand where you are coming from. ;)

It just cheeses me off that my government spends so much money on space exploration, and folks on disability can't afford to eat. It annoys me that we place so little value on solving the problems here and now, and continue to trash the earth, when we have the money, we have the technology, to solve the ills of society. I can't get excited about it, especially after the research I have been doing lately about Africa.

I love sci-fi. I love Carl Sagan. I have read his latest book. It's just that I think the priorities of society are skewed. If world leaders really wanted to overhaul the whole economic system, and start changing the world into a global village, it could be done. Unfortunately, greed and avarice rule, rather than compassion and love.

Yah, I know, I'm an idealist! But hey, I am also realistic, and I see how the world works. And I didn't make my comments on Carol's thread to take the joy out of it, as I don't think it is fair to 'rain on someone's parade' when they think something is cool. I made them on six's, which was probably created for that purpose.

take care,

tal

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    It just cheeses me off that my government spends so much money on space exploration, and folks on disability can't afford to eat.

Tal,

I thought you were Canadian. We don't even have a space program and we the most we spent was the 100 million on the Canadarm, which is nowhere in the league of the $1 billion "lost" by the HRDC.

• talesin
    talesin

t_c

I just change my flag sometimes, with an explanation in my profile. I am (happily) Canadian! Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Oy, yes we do! Check it out. lol, have you never heard of Marc Garnier?

tal

• undercover
    undercover

It's all a hoax....

*** The Truth Shall Make You Free (1943) pp.284-285, ch.XXii "THE TIME OF THE END" ***

Man on earth can no more get rid of these demonic "heavens" than man can by airplane or rockets or other means get up above the air envelope which is about our earthly globe and in which man breathes.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    Oy, yes we do! Check it out. lol, have you never heard of Marc Garnier?

We piggy-back on NASA. When Canada wanted to put our spy sattelite in orbit, the Americans wouldn't even "allow" us to do so.

We can always spend more money on the poor, it won't do sh*t. Most poor people should be stuck in mental hospitals. Case in point, when they closed down the Woodlands Institute here in BC, they let all the patients out in the public. And guess what? The poor population increased significantly.

• datingAjwgirl
    datingAjwgirl

If world leaders really wanted to overhaul the whole economic system, and start changing the world into a global village, it could be done. Unfortunately, greed and avarice rule, rather than compassion and love.

Yeah a one world governement, can I get my new tax number imbedded on my forehead.

The problem is not society or governments, is us were flawed, even the best of us.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

http://cmex-www.arc.nasa.gov/VikingCD/Puzzle/Evolife.htm

i think that space exploration is one cultural extension of human evolution. not only will finding other inhabitable planets increase our chance of survival should we nuke ourselves to death, but the possible discovery of other forms of life, even if "simple", would radically change "worldviews" and subsequent policies back here on earth.

but, i also have to agree with Talesin. it's great and all that we can do this stuff, but what does it mean morally if the world we are living in here is total crap in so many ways? does it not hurt the head just a bit to think of all we spend trying to get off our ball of dirt, when there is genocide, slavery and ecological destruction?

of course, NASA is not the enemy. i would prefer to see the same amount of money go to nasa, whilst chopping the military off at the knees (or the neck). or turning all the marines and navy seals into humanitarian aid workers fueled on the military budget. LOL. (let it fly)

TS

• undercover
    undercover
    of course, NASA is not the enemy. i would prefer to see the same amount of money go to nasa, whilst chopping the military off at the knees (or the neck). or turning all the marines and navy seals into humanitarian aid workers fueled on the military budget. LOL. (let it fly)

Well, you know of course that once space exploration becomes more viable, then the military will get more involved. I mean, look at Star Trek...to explore strange new galaxies, but hey, don't forget your phasers and photon torpedoes.

When the settlers moved west...the military was right there to clean out the "savages". Similarly as man moves out into space, if other life forms are found, human military will be there to protect the space settlers...let's just hope evolution makes man a little less hostile by then...or some alien badass might just kick our collective ass.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit