POLL!!!!!! I need your opinion!!!!!

by JV 53 Replies latest jw friends

• The Chuckler
    The Chuckler

If you put a hat infront of them while they do it, people might think they are busking - a nice little earner ;)

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

If they're immigrants and just moved in, how about trying to befriend them first? maybe they'd appreciate making some new friends.

They perhaps don't realise that they are causing a nuiscance - especially if they haven't realised you work a graveyard shift. They probably think that its a perfectly reasonable time of day to practice with minimum annoyance to the neighbours when its obviously not ok for you.

• willyloman
    willyloman

Sure, it's perfectly fine, on two conditions:

1. It's a piano

2. The kid moves it himself

• JV
    JV

Damn you sad emo!!! why do you have to take the high road???? Meh, I'll just ask them to start later round 3 pm.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

sorry - I must be getting sensible in my old age! Once upon a time I'd have just done what you suggest - hoof up the volume on my most unorthodox music!

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Are their parents at home when they play? If they are, how can they tolerate it? If they're not, than ask them to serenade their parents when they're home. Or go the 3 p.m. route.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    one is playing the flute, the other is playing the trumpet.

Cool, so the instruments are easily portable. Encourage them to take the instruments to the wide open spaces of a local park (this idea came from someone I know who took up the violin while living with a roommate in a tiny San Francisco apartment). That way they'll get scenery and privacy at the same time. You might sweeten the deal by kicking in a dollar or two for bus fare occasionally.

And as they improve, passers-by will say nice things about them

gently feral

• talesin
    talesin

Yah, I would talk to them about it, and ask them to do it after you get up.

There is an ordinance here as well, no noise from 8 am to 11 pm.,,, BUT unreasonable noise is still against the law any time of day,,, and band practice counts. I know, my ex-roommate was a right-on bitch who used to call the cops on our nice neighbours all the time. They would only practice two or three hours a week, and she had no reason to be so miserable, she was just an angry addict.

So, if they are unreasonable, you may be able to put a stop to it that way, depending on your city by-laws. Hey, if they are reasonable, you could end up making some really good friends. BONUS!

tal

• La Capra
    La Capra

There is the whole theory of the right to quiet enjoyment of one's property. Most cities and counties follow this notion and if there is music, television, loud yelling, etc., the police will make the courtesy contact and explain it to the offenders. To broadcast publicly requires a permit for the noise. Do these children have a permit to have daily concerts? If you are annoyed by it, trust me, everyone else in the neighborhood is too. There is only one thing worse than a beginner wind instrument player, it's multiple beginning wind instrument players.

The morning to evening noise ordinances usually have more to do with incidental noise, such as construction, yard equipment, etc., not playing the radio, television (or musical instruments) too loud. Since this would probably be rememdied by their practice indoors, if they don't cooperate then they obviously are asses.

Shoshana (whose mother would only let her practice flute before mom got home from work....)

• tabbycat
    tabbycat

JV, sorry to be intolerant, but working hours/shifts etc don't always conform to city byelaws, and loud noise is seriously annoying to me (I write). I wouldn't like it if I was your neighbour. Having said that, I wish my parents had encouraged me to be musical! How about soundproofing?!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit