It's 98 degrees, put on your suit and go to Yankee Stadium

by IronGland 51 Replies latest jw friends

• TadSexington
    TadSexington

<----- Dodger Stadium, L.A. Late 80's early 90's...

Anyone else remember those shitty umbrellas that had this old school vise-ey clampey thing to secure it to the armrest???

Anyone else have an arse MS for a father that didn't think it was witness-like to let his kids swim in the hotel pool after sitting in the SoCal sun all day? I hope not.

-Tad Sexington

• Rubyvixen
    Rubyvixen

yes!!!!

I remember the umbrellas! The stupid umbrellas and battery powered fans that were supposed to give us some relief...yeah right :D

For the people who asked about my reference to Yankee Stadium in the late 80's and early 90's, no they were not 8 days , they were the 3 and 4 day conventions and absolute torture even then in the NYC heat and humidity...yuck!

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

8 day assemblies?

No wonder the kids turn out angry and resentful.

DL76

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Lets see..these were the worst of them...

Freedom Hall, Louisville KY (1970) Elbow to ebow on the Puritain benches up in the "cheap seats" of a non-airconditioned basketball arena. 5 days with the ever-popular evening sessions that lasted to about 9 pm.

The "Sportatorium"- Ft Lauderadale FL .... What a venue! This is a giant steel covered pole barn that set in the middle of the Everglades. NO AC...NOT nearly enough restrooms. After cooking in a mold filled pressure cooker you got to go stand in the sweltering South Florida sun to line up for a wizz. Nearly every seat was obstructed veiw and the seats were insuferable.

Bonus..all the parking was un paved... I rains hard almost every summer afternoon in South Florida... after 2 or 3 weeks of back to back assemblies the parking was a swamp. All the women would ruin shoes walking in.

The Sportatorium was torn down because of fire code issues in the early 80's... This place wasnt even fit for big venue metal music concerts.

Hialea Race Track- Miami Fla... very nice place... for horse races. Again, South Florida, Summer, outside.

What were they thinking?

I liked the Mid South Auditorium in Memphis Tn... lots of hall way.. the AC was cold and Memphis was a lot of fun at night...(especially for the natives) Fun times for all....

~Hill

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    Hialea Race Track- Miami Fla... very nice place... for horse races. Again, South Florida, Summer, outside.

HB,

Tell me about it, I was there! That place is in no way shape or form meant to be used for long sessions, horse races are short with people being able to dress comfortably and walk from one bar to the other,with a cool beer in hand.

DL76

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

DL 76... di you ever go to the Sportatorium? I dont think a band of Mexican Pirates would host a cock-fight in that dump.

That place is the WORST public building I have ever been in for anything... including Livestock and Machinery auctions.

~Hill

• jillbedford
    jillbedford

I have read all of your wonderful posts. I too was at Yankee Stadium in 1969 and in 1973.

I recall fainting dead away in 1973 and being brought to first aid.

This was all I knew and do not remember this experience as anything but a time we saw all our family and had grateful reunions. The 1973 international convention was the last time I saw my dear uncle, "aposate" now, with all my cousins and grandmother at an assembly. They were appalled at my fainting but I was just trying to sit still and be good.

Moving forward to today, I see this as a little bit of whining. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Those of us who were kids had no choices in the matter but doesn't this opportunity allow us to have open minds and hearts to make other choices for our own families and children?

I do not mean to be disrespectful. I sympathize with all of your pain and bad memories, I was there too.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

DL 76... di you ever go to the Sportatorium? I dont think a band of Mexican Pirates would host a cock-fight in that dump.

That place is the WORST public building I have ever been in for anything... including Livestock and Machinery auctions.

~Hill

LMAO

HB,

No I never attended the Sportatorium, but I will take your word for it. Seems like now adays they are choosing better venues.

DL76

• The Real Edward Gentry
    The Real Edward Gentry

No thank you.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I remember Yankee Stadium (very uncomfortable) in the eighties.

The worst convention was one in Philadelphia in the early eighties. It was so damn hot and we were miserable. There were people there passing out. I went with three older people and we ended up calling it a day and missing Sunday. We headed home instead.

I wondered if the stupid religion realized that when people are miserable at those outdoor venues in the broiling heat of the summer that they get ZERO out of the whole thing. It was a frigging waste of time, resources and energy. The only enjoyable thing out of that whole weekend was seeing the PA country side and going out to eat.

Even when I was still a "believer" I determined to never go to those outdoor conventions again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit