JW's Getting Positive Media Attention. :(

by Dragonlady76 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    Published Friday, July 22, 2005
    PLANT CITY

Convention Geared To Meeting Needs

People who are hard of hearing, deaf or blind will find their interpretation needs met today through Sunday when Jehovah's Witnesses holds its Godly Obedience convention in Plant City.

The event will be at the Assembly Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, 1904 N. Frontage Road, Plant City. Morning sessions start at 9 a.m., with afternoon sessions at 2 p.m. today and Saturday and at 1:40 p.m. Sunday.

They even got on the local evening news WMOR-TV.

I was surprised to see that the camera crew was allowed inside to take video of the meeting in progress. I thought this would be a big No, No.

DL76

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

It's actually quite common. They ususally issue some sort of press release around the time the convention starts to try to drum up this attention. Filming the baptism is usually a big thing for the news networks too. Mrs. Kwin was on the news when she got dunked. She was quite embarrassed!

Kwin

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Kwin,

I don't remember this being a practice in my circuit. I guess some elders realize the value of positive news for the borg. I was disgusted though, I was drinking some juice and nearly choked on it. Had I known about the media coverage before hand, you would have seen me on the news picketing.

I even thought up of a slogan.... "Silencing Victims of Molestation Is Not Godly Obidience."

DL76

• kls
    kls

When i was in so many years ago and the assemblys were held in our area ,there were press releases on how wonderful it was and how everything was left so clean. I am sure it is the jws that contact the papers for advertisement to bring a wonderous light on what we know to be the evil cult. That is what the cult is best for , lieing and recruitment.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    People who are hard of hearing, deaf or blind will find their interpretation needs met today through Sunday when Jehovah's Witnesses holds its Godly Obedience convention in Plant City.

BLECHHHH!

Isn't that SPESHEL! This is the DC that my superfine-pioneer-elderette daughter is attending!

Isn't it just WUNNERFUL that the WTS takes such care of its "blind and deaf" (soooooo politically incorrect guys ) so that they can take in ALL that spiritual propaganda! How heartwarming.....(barf bag please)

Can't you just SEE them batting their eyelashes in perfection and patting themselves on the back at how simply terrific they are? (shudder)

Needless to say......THEY MAKE ME SICK!!!!!!!!!!!

Someday I'll tell you how I REALLY feel!

Annie

• Mary
    Mary

Actually, I wouldn't consider this "positive" media attention-----it's a pretty basic announcement and what "worldly" person would possibly give a rat's ass when they read that?

I'd say the Witnesses are getting far more bad media attention than good these days, so this item won't make any difference..........

• blondie
    blondie

There are elders that are selected to act as PR people in every large urban area. They routinely work with the media (under the direction of the WTS), providing press releases to the local media contacts. Depending on whether it is a slow news day, there may be camera coverage. In the area I have lived in, it had been mostly just a blurb in the newspaper, maybe an extended column. There were 3 conventions then but only the first one got coverage.

This is pretty standard and it is what silentlambs, SNAP, and other groups do; submit a press release and an invitation to come.

Blondie

• toladest
    toladest

I used to go to that assembly hall. My husband and brothers helped in the construction. It's a beautiful hall. What a waste of space though......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit