English oral presentation: what are jw's basic beliefs?

by Evanescence 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

Hello everyone!

My english teacher said that we are going to be doing oral presentations on anything we want.

My english teacher religious as well and she knows that I am into religion and that I should do an oral presentation on a religion.

Well I know a lot about Jehovah's Witnesses so I thought I might to an oral presentation on them! :)

So to make things easier can you help me a bit and tell me their basic doctrines like the 144,000 and the jesus on the stake (and why they believe this would help as well)

and please try and answer them as if you are a active Jehovah's witness no "they only believe this because they are brainwashed" business I don't think I can say that in my oral presentation lol (but I will hint though )

Oh and links would help as well I don't know where I can find a list on their doctrines on the watchtower sight.

Thanks

Evanescence

• Etude
    Etude

Evanescence:

I realize that you want information from a positive JW point of view. However, I just got off a thread that proved quite interesting in at least describing their concept of the 144,000. Take a look (http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/95142/1.ashx).

Etude.

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Etude,

You could probably google it and come up with a lot of their basic beliefs. I'll try to give you a neutral list, neither positive nor negative spin on any of them.

1. JWs believe in the imminent end of the world, with only JWs living on endlessly under a government by Jesus Christ.
    2. They believe this current world is ruled by Satan and demons and always has been.
    3. They do not accept blood transfusions even in the face of death of themselves or their children.
    4. They do not vote, salute the flag, nor enter the military.
    5. They claim to scrupulously pay their taxes.
    6. They must actively prosyletize and are evangelistic.
    7. They claim to accept the Bible only as "Truth."
    8. They have different doctrine (no trinity, hellfire, etc.) and are fundamentalists about the Bible.
    9. They do not celebrate any usual holidays.
    10. They administer their own justice system via elders and try not to involve law enforcement in any matters concerning their members.
    11. They shun members as a matter of policy who leave them, including family members.
    12. Their women may not serve in any official manner within their congregations. Their women may not pray publicly nor be a part of their "clergy."
    13. Their men may not wear beards (tho they may wear mustaches) and serve in an official capacity.
    14. They are "ruled" by a "governing body" in NYC and the official publication is the Watchtower, which is their main source of doctrine.

I'm sure there's lots more, but that's off the top of my head. I don't think you should present it either in a positive or negative light--just as an anthropologist would.

Good luck,

Pat

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

http://www.watchtower.org/library/jt/index.htm

This link will take you to the opening page of the brochure - Jehovah's witnesses- Who are they? What do they believe? @ the official Watchtower site. The whole brochure is there. And of course it is the positive witness slant you wish.

Jeff

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Heavenly class: only 144 000 go to heaven : they use the scrip in Jeremiah I think where it speaks of the slave grabbing hold of the Jew (the 144000 are the jew - great crowd the slave) They use the srip in Luke -"I have sheep which are not of this fold" & in John the scrip on the "little flock" then the use revelation 7 & 14 (this is where they get the number 144000)

Earthly Class: The rest will live on earth in a paradise (great crowd) Scriptures are from Psalms - the meek will inherit the earth, Rev 21: 3& 4, Peter 3 speaks of a new heaven & a new earth. This new world system will be ruled under the kingship of Jesus & the 144000 (kings & priests) for a 1000 years. Satan will be let loose on perfected mankind for a final test. Only then will he be destroyed forever in the lake of fire and sulphur.

Blood: No blood transfustions as this is a direct violation of gods' command to abstain from blood, as the very life is in the blood - Acts

Preaching: You must preach the good news of the kingdom as stated in Matt 24. This is a sign of the end and we are living on the doorstep of Armegeddon. All those not associated with this true organistion will be killed at armegeddon & will not receive a resurrection.

Resurrection: of good & bad - the good being those that were obviously JWs' and died before the end. The bad being those that didn't have the opportunity to hear the good news or those that are related to good jw's and have a credit thingie going on.

Soul: There is no soul - man is a soul and the soul that is sinning will die. Your thoughts perish in the very day you die and there is nothing. Animals are souls too.

Celebrations: Do not celebrate birthdays/christmas/easter and a whole other host of holidays as these are deeply rooted in paganism & are considered evil.

God: There is one Almighty God Jehovah, he is the father. There is Jesus Christ who is a mighty god, the sun, he is the redeemer of mankind (though technically that is only if you become a JW). There is gods' active force which is totally devoid of any personality/being whatsoever. You cannot have a relationship with god if you are not associated with his earthly organisation

Gifts of the spirit: Those all died with the apostles. There is no speaking in tongues, no interpretation, no visions, no prophesy.

Faithful and discreet slave: I actually thought this was the governing body, but was proved wrong at my JC when they said it's actually all of the annointed. These receive truths from Gods' spirit, or are directed by Gods' spirit to impart food at the proper time. Initially however this slave was first Russell (one man - but he died & they need some more). They control what is truth and what is not & it's filtered down to us...

If you'd like anything else specific give me a shout as I have the reasoning book and insight to the scriptures - the only literature I've kept since leaving.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

If you'd like anything else specific give me a shout as I have the reasoning book and insight to the scriptures - the only literature I've kept since leaving.

LouBelle - Sorry can't get rid of the red! I did the same - Insight Books and NWT Concordance. Of course I have the CD-ROM for research. My 'theocratic library' is now full of 'apostate' books....LOL

Jeff

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

aaah...right oral PRESENTATION....sorry read that wrong initially.

NEXT!

DB74

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hi E:

You might find the following link helpful too:

http://www.catholicxjw.com/fundamentaldoctrine.html

Jeff Schwehm

www.catholicxjw.com

• Scully
    Scully

Please don't forget that when one is baptized as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, they must verbally agree (by affirmatively answering in the presence of witnesses, i.e., enter a contract) to the following questions:

At the close of the convention baptism talk, the baptism candidates will be in position to answer with depth of understanding and heartfelt appreciation two simple questions that serve to confirm that they recognize the implications of following Christ's example. The first question is:

On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is:

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism.~ Watchtower 1985 June 1 p.30 Subjecting Ourselves to Jehovah by Dedication

This was further clarified the following year:

Approved association with Jehovah's Witnesses requires accepting the entire range of the true teachings of the Bible, including those Scriptural beliefs that are unique to Jehovah's Witnesses.

In other words, once you are baptized, you cannot disagree publicly with anything published by the WTS, otherwise you will no longer be considered an approved associate.

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

Thanks everyone for the replys!

Can someone please tell me what this whole Armageddon thing is all about please!

and about Disfellowship and Disassosiation? and what are these "meetings?" when the elders deside your fate!

And I can never quite understand the link between the jw's and the Watchtower.

Thanks

Evanescence

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit