Think of the Children.

by Daunt 13 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

That's what I believe, because when those hormones start buzzing all thoughts of abstinence fly out the window! Even though Chris and I were upright, virtuous pioneers when we were dating, it wouldn't have taken much for us to now have a 22-year-old child. Which is a scary thought! So, while protection isn't no-holds-barred permission, it's nice to have back-up just in case.

And if Jennie turns up pregnant one day, or Jackson says oops, he's about to become a daddy, well, then we'll deal with it. Everybody makes mistakes, but a baby is a precious thing and will always be welcome. However, the biker dude who gets her pregnant will have to answer to Chris first and then, if there's anything left of him, to ME!

Nina

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

When my kid was in school, going through several of these "educations" (ie, sex, drugs/alcohol, gangs, etc.) he said the adults came in and talked about how it all was so baaaaaaad. They never talked about what's good--kids have to find that out for themselves. And then, maybe, they say later, "Oh--now I understand." But lots of times, they experiment, don't get "caught" and go on thinking this is just one more instance of adults trying to keep the good stuff to themselves.

I don't know if you actually could do something in public schools today that honestly discussed the allure of drugs, let alone sex, but it sure made sense to me at the time.

• Daunt
    Daunt

Our goal shouldn't be to stop them from doing drugs. That's just as fanciful as hoping that none of them will have sex. It's going to happen. The best way to keep the numbers down and to have individuals think reasonably about them is to teach them about it reasonably. I think folks keep in their mind that we should stop them from having sex. That won't help anybody. We need to teach them about it and let them make the decision on their own because they're going to make it on their own anyways, better to have all the information about it before diving in.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    Our goal shouldn't be to stop them from doing drugs. That's just as fanciful as hoping that none of them will have sex. It's going to happen.

Your wrong and I'm living proof, we should be teaching kids that drug use is wrong and bad for them.

I will agree with you on providing kids and teens with information on bc and vd while still telling them abstinence is the only real 100% safe way to avoid pregnancy and vd. The Bush administration is wasting our tax dollars focusing only teaching abistinence.

DL76

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit