Think of the Children.

by Daunt 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Daunt
    Daunt

I've seen a lot of posts lately about children and their sexuality and this subject has always kind of touched me the wrong way, because it was hard for me to get a definitive answer for it.

The children today hear sexual content many times out of the day. I was never specifically worried about this since I am one of these young ones and it hasn't made me a raging ignorant sexual deviant anytime lately but it is something to consider. There isn't much solid sexual education going around these days. Bush's campaign for Abstinence only education has horribly fail while undereducating kids about sex (you can get AIDS from tears what a load of crock). So I would just like to see other people's views about our children's sexuality and ways to help them out on a grand scale.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Hi, Daunt! I'm the mother of an 11-year-old girl and a 9-year-old boy, and Chris and I firmly believe that children should be taught, preferably by their parents, about sex. We have always just answered their questions as they noticed the difference between boys and girls, taught them the difference between "good touch" and "bad touch" and emphasized the need to be mature in years and mind before starting a sexual relationship. We've told them how babies are made, but they really don't want details. Jennie is starting to go into puberty, so we've had lots of girl talks (she still thinks boys are yucky, though), and, as a consequence of her mood swings, Jackson's gotten an education about girls too. He's very good at walking on eggshells and knows that certain times of the month it's not safe to leave chocolate around because Mommy will eat it. He wants to be a daddy but not right now since he's pretty sure it's a big responsibility.

I'm sure once boys cease to be yucky we'll have some, um, spirited discussions on the subject of boys and sex.

Nina

• Daunt
    Daunt

That's so sweet cruzan. That "spirited discussion" comment made me laugh out loud litterally. Your parenting is a prime example as to how parents should handle their kids with regarding to sex. Very nice.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I don't see anything wrong with preaching abstinence, but safe sex needs to be preached as well. Just telling kids not to do it is plain stupid in my opinion. There is always going to be curiosity and experimentation going on so they need to know how to protect themselves. Details are importatnt and options should always be stressed.

Damselfly

• Daunt
    Daunt

Well there's nothing wrong with expressing abstinence to be a great way to keep from getting pregnant and the sex issue over all, however, my main problem is how many folks went through this course. They made it abstinence only, no mention of contraceptive, no mention of any way to suppress those urges inside of you, and many ways just straight out lied. That's very dangerous to society which has been proven throughout this modern abstinence only sex campaign. However me personally I would put abstinence high on the agenda, because feeling pressured to have sex I feel should be criminal. However, suggesting that there are no alternatives instead of abstinence is criminal also imo.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I agree with you Daunt. It should be presented as an option, but the other side ( precautions to take ) needs to be stressed as well.

It's the Libra in me, I like things to be equal and balanced.

If I have children, they will have all the information they need from a young age.

Damselfly

• damselfly
    damselfly

This booklet is handed out to kids in my local school system with their parents written consent.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/ohp/publications/Sex_A_Healthy_Sexuality_Resource.pdf

I have not read it thru, so I can't offer an opinion. But it caused a stir for it's extensive information on safer sex, sexual assaults, pregancy etc. Maybe some of the parents will want to bookmark or print it for future use?

Damselfly

• Daunt
    Daunt

It caused an stir? That should be congradulated not brought down. I think ima read this one and try to get it implemented into my school if it's good.

• damselfly
    damselfly

The stir probably made it more interesting to the teens, forbidden fruit and all that. We have a liberal community mixed heavily with strict religious groups so there was good debate for a while in the papers.

Hope it's of some use to you.

Damselfly

• Dustin
    Dustin

I can't believe how little I knew about sex growing up. I think it's very important to make sure the kids know how to protect themselves. You can preach against it all you want, but that usually doesn't work except to make them more curious. Better to tell them the facts and have them take precautions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit