End of the World Near?

by love2Bworldly 32 Replies latest jw friends

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I am wondering how many people out there still believe that in the next 100 years or so that this world/earth is going to be destroyed?

My husband is a Christian, and sometimes he is obsessed with world events in the Middle East and he thinks one day soon all the Christians are going to be raptured away to heaven while the AntiChrist rules here on earth. I am extremely uncomfortable when he talks about it because it reminds me of the JWs.

Any thoughts out there?

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Due to my advanced age, the end of my world is now closer than it ever was. Tomorrow will be even closer.

DY

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

well, i think we are headed for an ecological disaster and energy crisis in the future. life will change, but certainly not end. and it probably won't be sudden either, but over some period of time. it's speculation of course. but there is data available that suggests we are in a bad spot ecologically.

• Daunt
    Daunt

I feel the same way. Climate wise we are very close to a ecological disaster, but it will take a lot for us to actually be wiped out from it. Me personally I don't really care when the world will end, I care more about not increasing it's arrival.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy
    well, i think we are headed for an ecological disaster and energy crisis in the future. life will change, but certainly not end.

This disaster may be brought on if the Endangered Species Act is nullified. I hear that many land owners are complaining about the ESA because it limits when they can do with their land (as in alter the landscape), and they also claim that many of the 'endangered species' are now plentiful and not threatened.

So, what would happen to the environment if this act were lifted? The only forests we'd see would be in national parks,

• Daunt
    Daunt

Sad but true sonnyboy. I'm trying to write to my legislators and other people in power to see a good focus on climate and how to help it. It is a very serious problem, summers are becoming unbareable. It's hard to stay outside longer than 10 minutes, and let's not even get to the thousands of species that have become exitinct around the world. We really need to act as a human race. I'm going to buy the first hydrogen car on the market eh.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I remember in the mid-70s/early 80s, how scientists and other knowledgeable people used to say mankind wouldn't make it to the year 2000 if things kept up as they were back then.

Here we are pushing 2006.

DY

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

If anything, I think one of these days one of the countries lead by extremists loonies will release a nuclear device towards a target or a harmful biological agent, thus knocking mankind back to the stone age.

Just an exaggeration, of course.

DY

• greendawn
    greendawn

Christians have been expecting the second presence or coming of the Christ since the days of the apostles and todays churches unlike the JWs they wisely do not try to set dates for it.

When it will come we can't say at present even by approximation I suppose when the signs appear they will be really out of the ordinary and the world will definitely know it.

• undercover
    undercover
    ...we are headed for an ecological disaster and energy crisis in the future.

I definitely agree about the energy crisis. I think it's gonna get scary sooner than we all think.

As far as the ecological disaster, I'm not sure how much of a disaster that would be. A disaster for us maybe, but the Earth would recover much better than humans will. Not that they wouldn't but the way of life that we know would change drastically. Maybe man would learn something and would make imporvements on the way it exists with the Earth and its other inhabitants. If that were to happen, that would be a good thing in the long run for everyone and everything involved. Our way of life would change but then, life is an ever evolving exercise anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit