Early Christian Worship

by the_classicist 63 Replies latest watchtower bible

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    Paul made clear he had nothing to do with any other sect of Christians (interpolations aside) and only after 14 years of preaching did he attempt to influence/recruit the leading men of the Jerusalem Jews that had some similarity to his movement. A careful study of the suspected additions and glosses reveals an effort to do this type of revisioning.

With regards to suspected additions, how are they suspected to be additions?

And as a side note, Ehrman comes to the conclusion that there was no concerted conspiracy to revise scripture as so many say. Almost all the additions are non-doctrinal and thanks to modern manuscriptology, we have eliminated most of those additions and revisions.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I'm not sure where you heard that but his book "Orthodox Corruption of Scripture" demonstrates the opposite. There he shows how we can identify dozens if not hundreds of theologically motivated amendments made so late in the tradition that can find them though textual criticism alone.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    I'm not sure where you heard that but his book "Orthodox Corruption of Scripture" demonstrates the opposite. There he shows how we can identify dozens if not hundreds of amendments made so late in the tradition that can find them though textual criticism alone.

If you read my sentence, I said "concerted effort." By that I mean a conspiracy that many, especially neo-Gnostics, allege.

• sir82
    sir82

No, no, no!

How could you all miss the point?!?

The quote from the original post in this thread was written in 150CE!!!

As you know, any and all Christians as of 99CE (1 year after the death of the last of Apostles) were immediately & hopelessly corrupted by Greek philosophy*. How else do you think we can explain how 80,000 or so of the 144,000 were "gathered" in the years 1879 - 1935, (along with additional dribbles here & there between 99 CE & 1879)?

Y'all need to go back to the Theocratic Ministry School or sumthin'.

* Except where their writings, whether in or out of context, seem to back up "current truth". Apparently there were flashes of non-paganism from time to time in the 2nd century church. As the quote from the original post is out of line with the latest Watchtower, we can safely say the writer was as pagan as blue-painted tree-worshipping druid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit