What do you think of Seeker (good or bad)?

by Seeker 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker
    Seeker

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my call for comments. I read them all, and appreciated them all, even the negative ones or the ones that had suggestions for improvement. I will consider your words carefully.

For the record, I did not post this in a moment of depression, or felt a need to be built-up. I had not just been in some posting war and needed to cool off. In fact, I wrote the original post in a very dispassionate frame of mind. I really was just curious. It seemed that in recent days almost every post I made was to express an opinion contrary to the rest of the thread. It felt as if I was scolding people, to be honest. As Pork Chop said, I can come across a bit self-righteous at times when I'm convinced I am right. So I was beginning to wonder what I was doing here, to be honest. If all I was going to do is contradict everyone, what's the point? Might as well go where people think the way I do.

However, I don't really mean that, just that I was wondering exactly how I was perceived. As JanH said, my true persona doesn't really show in here (even my chat persona is only one side of me). And I'm hardly posting nearly as much as I used to, and because I have been-there-done-that and then some, I tend to be a little short with someone who posts yet-another-defense-of-something-that's-been-totally-discredited. It probably does seem patronizing at times, but there is a long history there that newer ones may not be aware of.

Similarly, Rex made a valid observation that based on what I write, it probably doesn't seem I've investigated much religious thought. He's right, based on what I write you couldn't tell. That's because I rarely comment on religious posts, simply out of lack of interest. Nevertheless, I'm quite familiar with his beliefs, having investigated many different forms of Christian and non-Christian religions after I left the JWs. It just doesn't show here because I don't take part in those discussions. As I said, the persona you see here is only a little bit of Seeker, the real man behind the posts. There are a few of you out there who have a clearer picture of me, as I really am away from the board. I'm glad to say that I get along with every one of you, and count you as close friends.

So thanks again for your thoughtful responses. I will think about what you said.

P.S. AlanF, of course I have big toes. Why do you think the ladies luv the Tigger so much? ;)

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

seek, i'm a little late on this thread, but just wanted to give ya a hug and say hi! i'm very glad i've gotten to know you (even just the few sides you show online) i've read your stuff on h2o and was glad to see you posting over here too. like others have said, i've found your posts to be rational and well said. and it helps that i tend to agree with you! lol

love ya!
    harmony

• riz
    riz

Seeker,

I think you are precious. Even tempered and articulate.

riz

• Larry
    Larry

Seeker - Thanks for being there when I left the Borg, you and all the folks helped me get through the ordeal. Just as I was helped by your subtle and direct efforts I'm sure many others were helped as well. You are needed in these domains.

I must admit that I'm surprise you even care what other people think of you. That reminds me of what most Borg members are concerned about - the way things look instead of the why things are. In any event, Cheers to the journey b/c the journey is better than the destination.

Peace, My Brother
    Larry :)

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

(((((Seeker))))),

I think you are already very aware of my opinion of you I think you're a wonderful guy. As has already been mentioned, you are thoughtful, articulate, and very slow to anger. You are also a very kind and gentle man, which has been rare in my personal experience. (Not knocking men here, k?)

Larry said

I must admit that I'm surprise you even care what other people think of you
    The real man behind the fur doesn't base his opinion of himself on other people's judgements of him. Seeker, you are one of the honest people and have an excellent self-perspective, in my opinion.

And apparently, I need to get in line behind Wasa, Tina, and Think!!

Love ya, my friend
    Dana

"Someday we'll find it...the rainbow connection...the lovers, the dreamers and me"

Kermit the Frog
    "Rainbow Connection"

• Seeker
    Seeker
    The real man behind the fur doesn't base his opinion of himself on other people's judgements of him.

Correct, Dana, and thanks for noticing. I can see why Larry was confused. I don't base my opinion of myself on what anyone thinks, HOWEVER I do recognize that I am imperfect and can improve my ACTIONS in certain ways. The point of this thread was to see if people I respected saw certain flaws in my approach. If I can improve, I will strive to improve. I'm not afraid to admit my mistakes.

This is not the same as having a lower opinion of myself. It's like handing a paper to a friend and asking them to proofread it. You are not asking your friend to judge YOU, but to check your WORK for mistakes. That is the distinction.

• ladonna
    ladonna

Hi Seeker,

You have posted after I have made a post on a few occassions and you have made me rethink my ideas or viewpoints at that time.
    At no time have I ever felt you were belittling or putting me down.

What you had to say was in line with all of your posts that I read; concise and kindly worded.
    I have never had a negative thougt about you, in fact I seldom have negative thoughts about any other posters. Naturally some rub our fur a little up the wrong way as we do to them, but in the long run it all comes down to granting a person the right to their own opinion without condemnation.
    This is something you have always displayed.........so don't change...Tiggers don't change their spots...errr...stripes...

Ana

I will defend, to your death, my right to my opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit