So what was God's address then?

by MidwichCuckoo 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

Big dog

I can't blame them, really. People who seek or invoke god generally start w the application of human or animal paradigms. For instance, the bible writers thought god was a he, a mighty, no, an almighty humanlike being who had human emotions like love, anger, jealousy, favoritism, etc. That he responded to food, sacrifices, prayers and worship offered to him. Humans, in their animal nature, need a god that is strongest, smartest, lovingest, perfectly just, omniscient, all controling. Among animals, the strongest get to be head of the pack, reproduce the most, etc. So, god must be the superlative of anything earthly. A stumbling, second rate, learning god would not do. But, what if 'god' went against all these human ideals?

Jesus is an example of this process, imo. The gospels depict him as humble, mostly meek, hanging w the lower classes and helping out those who were considered as human garbage. Yet later, in paul's writing and the apocalypse, he has been elevated to the second highest power in the universe. Much more acceptable to power worshipping people.

S

Ps, sorry i can't make a big long speach on this. Maybe later.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

S. thanks for the response, very interesting ideas, I'd love to hear the longer version but I get the gist of where you are going with it I think. Again thanks for the response, much appreciated, definitely food for thought.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Why define or pigeonhole "God" at all?

We continually ask questions about God, and about this, that, and the other thing. Round and round we go, asking every conceivable question. Questions which go nowhere because they are actually meaningless distractions from earnestly questioning our own believed identity.

Perhaps if we took the first real step and realized what we actually are and are not -- there would be no more questions.

Could it be that you actually are the ultimate clarity and prize?

j

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

James, I agree trying to pigeonhole God, or anyone for that matter is an exercise in futility. But it does seem to be in our basic nature to question, don't you think? LOL, see, I just did it, couldn't help myself.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Yes, fine, BD. I'm just suggesting to bring the questions home. Redirect them inward into the silent depths of your own Being, rather than outward into beliefs and thoughts, time and space.

j

• Satanus
    Satanus

Bigdog

My ideas are nothing new. They are a mix of a bit of panthiesm and a bit of gnosticism. In the end, the ideal would be for you to see for yourself. Yes, i have seen, not that that means anything for anybody else.

S

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

James, yours is good advice and well taken.

S, I have not done much reading on either of the topics you mentioned, looks like its time for a Google search.

• Mary
    Mary

I heard rumours that He had originally lived in the Dagoba System..........

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

BigDog

I think both Satanus and James Thomas make good points. I fell into the same trap as most Christians or JWs who tried to conceal any deep-seted questions or doubts. Then I was pointed in the right direction by I book I stumbled across, the one I made an amazon link to earlier on this thread. It so helped me 'get' the comments of people like S and JT above.

• Undecided
    Undecided
    Only a tiny bit of the Bible should ever be understood literally, and even these portions have several deeper meanings at the same time, which none of us fully understand.

If the bible isn't understood, what possible good is it to read it and let our imagination try to explain what it says. Maybe God didn't realize our minds aren't capable of understanding all the fuzzy stuff. Oh! I forgot, he provided the faithfull and discrete slave(men like Russel and Rutherford) to explain what we needed to know about his writings.

Why not just make up your own version of the universe, like the bible writers did? One persons explaination is about as true as anothers. In the final analysis we just have to admit we don't know S*** about why we are here.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit