God says not to go in service....

by riotgirlpeeps 12 Replies latest jw friends

• riotgirlpeeps
    riotgirlpeeps

So this morning since my parents are both very devout witnesses I get a knock at my door, I'm supposed to go with. I'm in my pajamas. Typical guilt trip and mention that ultimately it is my choice, more guilt tripping (last time I checked I was 26 closing in on 27 ironic isn't it how they still don't want to allow decision making). So they leave.

For the last hour or so there has been a severe thunderstorm full of ground and window shaking lightening, and though its now moved on I can still hear it in the distance. So wouldn't you say thats God saying go door to door in that suckas! LOL! I just found the timing perfect.

Riot of the Guilted but still not giving in class

• Legolas
    Legolas
    So wouldn't you say thats God saying go door to door in that suckas!

Funny!!

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Hey Riot.. I just got up from sleeping in, am having a coffee, checking my emails.. ahhh. I can't even imagine throwing on a suit and trying to preach to people about the end of the world. Suckers, indeed.

GBL

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hummm, let's brainstorm how you can bring your parents around to a mature relationship with you. "Ultimately your choice" - what a crock! Do they come by often? Maybe you can be prepared next time. Mentally I mean. The PJ's were a great excuse.

• Have the coffee on. Meet them at the door with two cups, prepared the way they like them.
    • Thank them for coming by to see YOU. You are so happy that they were thinking of YOU.
    • Invite them to come and sit a while, just for a minute or two, won't take long.
    • If they say no, they have more important things to do, say, "Oh, I am sorry to hear that. I guess you weren't coming by to see ME then, were you?" Take the coffee back and tell them they are welcome to come by any time they want to visit with YOU.
    • If they say yes, chat as long as possible about non-JW subjects. If they start in on the guilt trip, thank them for coming by to see YOU, but YOU are not interested in field service that day. Take back the coffee cups and pleasantly send them on their way. Tell them they are welcome to come by any time they want to visit with YOU.

This is fairly subtle, I know, and other methods work as well. Like not answering the door. I like to think up new ways, always, to skin the cat.

It is very important for your growth and theirs to establish a mature relationship with your parents. They must not live vicariously through you. My adult daughter has taught me that very well.

• luna2
    luna2

Good for you, riotgirl. It's good to assert yourself....very cool that you missed being out in a thunderstorm too. LOL

I used to try to guilt my son into going to the meetings with me when he was still living here (and I was still attending sporadically). Actually, it was more so I'd have someone to go with and sit next to than because I thought he would hear one of those scintillating public discourses and suddenly want to get baptised or anything.

• caligirl
    caligirl

Ah, the drive by guilting. Such a pleasant experience!! I remember my Mom doing that to me, but I was 16 and still under their roof. I had stayed up until 3 in the morning, reading, which I did often, and no it was never a witness publication to keep me up. SO when she came in and woke me up to tell me that I should go out that morning, I was decidedly not in the mood, and even her explaining that it was the last Saturday and I hadn't been out yet wasn't about to change my mind. SHe stood there looking at me after arguing for a few minutes and then said " What do you want me to do to convince you to go out. DO you want to see me scream at you, jump up and down and swear at you? Will that help? (I just continued to look at her) She then proceeded to do what I can only describe as a full on Donald Duck immitation, jumping up and down and screaming " Sh**!" at the top of her lungs for about 30 seconds. When she was done, I just said. Can I go back to sleep now? ( I did not go out that morning even after that. But to really appreciate the scene, you have to understand that my mother is so quiet and meek and mild that this was EXTREMELY out of character for her.

Hang in there! Maybe one day they will get the hint that you are a grown up. They still try it with my sister sometimes, and she is 28. They stopped a long time ago with me because I got married and I'm someone elses problem now!

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

Those guilt trips - so easy to buy that ticket! I feel for you.

My parents called us every Saturday morning, right about 9:30, for almost 15 years. "Hi, Why aren't you out in service?" It never occurred to me to ask them why they weren't out in service too.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    I can't even imagine throwing on a suit and trying to preach to people about the end of the world. Suckers, indeed.

HAHA!! I went out this morning in the 90 degree heat!!! It sucked big time!!

However, the universe is in balance because I was sending txt messages to Whyamihere (brooke) and the other apostafest attendees!!!

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Suckers with the exception of you Rich.

GBL

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Hey, we had severe weather earlier today too. Are you from the upper Midwest as well?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit