SPOILER * What did you all think of Harry Potter Half Blood Prince?

by Pwned 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I loved it! It is my favorite book of the series. When I saw the cover, and the green light, I figured that meant that either Dumbledore or Harry would die and since Harry couldn't die (at least yet!) I thought it meant Dumbledore. Which is consistent with other mythological stories, i.e. the hero losing his mentor/father and is forced to grow up to face the final trial on his own.

Okay, here's my theory:

• I think Snape made an Unbreakable Vow to Dumbledore to follow his orders, which is why Dumbledore trusts him so much. Dumbledore wasn't pleading for his life, he was pleading for Snape to do what he had to, else Snape would have died. Remember too in The Order of Phoenix, Dumbledore tells Voldemort that there are worse things than dying and that if Dumbledore was struck down he would become more powerful than Voldemort could imagine. I think if Snape was following Dumbledore's orders and is not really a Death Eater, it would explain why he was so furious at Harry for accusing him of cowardice. Despite Snape's fascination with the Dark Arts, I think he really wants nothing to do with Voldemort and was providing Dumbledore with information about him, his movements and the identities of the Death Eaters.

• I think RAB is Regulus Black, Sirius' brother who was killed by the Death Eaters years ago. Remember the locket they found at Grimmauld Place? That is the Horcrux. Harry just doesn't realize it yet. I think the final Horcrux though is not Nagilius (Voldemort's snake), but Harry himself. I think Harry is a direct descendent of Gryffendor (his parents lived at Godric Hall). I think that when Voldemort tried to kill Harry, he inadvertently gave up part of his soul, which is why Harry could "feel" Voldemort's presence; part of his soul was inside Harry. The scar is the final Horcrux. I think this is why Dumbledore was telling Harry that love is more powerful than spells and jinxes; Voldemort doesn't understand love and is actually repelled by it. I think this is how Harry ultimately defeats, and kills, Voldemort.

• I think there really is a spy in the Order of Phoenix which is why Dumbledore told Harry to tell no one except for Ron and Hermione. I think he wanted Harry to have only his friends go on the quest for the Horcruxes but that Dumbledore wasn't certain who the real betrayer was. I think he knew that Harry would need their help.

Hermione is always telling Harry and Ron that you can't apparate and dis-apparate inside Hogwarts. Dobby and Kreacher did several times with no explanation. Anyone know why?

I think it was in Goblet of Fire that Rowling said house elves have a magic all their own and that the spells of Hogwarts don't always apply to them.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

On the whole, it wasn't the most well written of the six, but I did enjoy it.

We knew Dumbledore would have to die, and my husband and I even predicted it would happen at the end of book 6. That said, I was still not quite emotionally prepared for it when it happened (or the specific circumstances surrounding it).

I will say that it would incredibly foolish to believe that Snape's actions were those of a truly evil soul who bamboozled the greatest wizard who ever lived into trusting him. We've got theories coming out our ears, but the common thread in each of them is that Dumbledore knew exactly what was going to happen to him, and that everything that occurred was part of the plan. As any fan of the series knows, things are almost never what they appear on the surface to be.

• luna2
    luna2

I enjoyed this one...the last book was so dark and depressing that I was worried that this one would continue down that path. I'm a sucker for the fun stuff and for watching Harry grow and improve as a wizard. I loved that the Weasly twins are doing so well with their magical joke shop too.

I have a fondness for Snape too. Mostly that's because of the movies. I adore Alan Rickman. He's just the sexiest villan ever. LOL

• Princess
    Princess

• I think Snape made an Unbreakable Vow to Dumbledore to follow his orders, which is why Dumbledore trusts him so much. Dumbledore wasn't pleading for his life, he was pleading for Snape to do what he had to, else Snape would have died. Remember too in The Order of Phoenix, Dumbledore tells Voldemort that there are worse things than dying and that if Dumbledore was struck down he would become more powerful than Voldemort could imagine. I think if Snape was following Dumbledore's orders and is not really a Death Eater, it would explain why he was so furious at Harry for accusing him of cowardice. Despite Snape's fascination with the Dark Arts, I think he really wants nothing to do with Voldemort and was providing Dumbledore with information about him, his movements and the identities of the Death Eaters.

Interesting...you could be right on with that theory. Unfortunately, it will be at least two years before we know.

• I think RAB is Regulus Black, Sirius' brother who was killed by the Death Eaters years ago. Remember the locket they found at Grimmauld Place? That is the Horcrux. Harry just doesn't realize it yet. I think the final Horcrux though is not Nagilius (Voldemort's snake), but Harry himself. I think Harry is a direct descendent of Gryffendor (his parents lived at Godric Hall). I think that when Voldemort tried to kill Harry, he inadvertently gave up part of his soul, which is why Harry could "feel" Voldemort's presence; part of his soul was inside Harry. The scar is the final Horcrux. I think this is why Dumbledore was telling Harry that love is more powerful than spells and jinxes; Voldemort doesn't understand love and is actually repelled by it. I think this is how Harry ultimately defeats, and kills, Voldemort.

Again...interesting. But wouldn't Voldemort try to preserve Harry? Could be an interesting twist if/when Harry destroys the other horcruxes and Voldemort is in the position of having to keep Harry alive in order to stay alive himself.

Hermione is always telling Harry and Ron that you can't apparate and dis-apparate inside Hogwarts. Dobby and Kreacher did several times with no explanation. Anyone know why?
    I think it was in Goblet of Fire that Rowling said house elves have a magic all their own and that the spells of Hogwarts don't always apply to them.
    OK, thanks. I figured there must be a reason and someone here would know.
  • Pwned
    Pwned
    I think Snape made an Unbreakable Vow to Dumbledore to follow his orders, which is why Dumbledore trusts him so much. Dumbledore wasn't pleading for his life, he was pleading for Snape to do what he had to, else Snape would have died. Remember too in The Order of Phoenix, Dumbledore tells Voldemort that there are worse things than dying and that if Dumbledore was struck down he would become more powerful than Voldemort could imagine. I think if Snape was following Dumbledore's orders and is not really a Death Eater, it would explain why he was so furious at Harry for accusing him of cowardice. Despite Snape's fascination with the Dark Arts, I think he really wants nothing to do with Voldemort and was providing Dumbledore with information about him, his movements and the identities of the Death Eaters.

Thats close to what I was thinking. I thought that maybe because of his unbreakable vow to protect Malfoy he had to kill Dumbledore.

• luna2
    luna2

Hrm...do you think Dumbledore will rise from the ashes in the next book, something like his phoenix, Fawkes?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    But wouldn't Voldemort try to preserve Harry?

Yes, but only IF he knew that Harry's scar was a Horcrux. Remember that he didn't intend to transfer part of his soul to Harry. He wanted to kill him. And Dumbledore said something about one commits murder one loses part of their soul. He had already killed Harry's parents that evening. I think Voldemort wanted 7 pieces but only got as far as 6 when the killing curse backfired on him and he was set adrfit without a body. Since he came back in Goblet of Fire, I think he's been too busy reestablishing himself to think about that old project. But if Harry is the Gryffendor Horcrux, the locket is Slytherin and the cup is Huffle Puf what is the horcrux for Ravenclaw? Could it have something to do with Peter Petergrew's missing finger? Was he Ravenclaw?

I thought that maybe because of his unbreakable vow to protect Malfoy he had to kill Dumbledore.

It's possible, but Malfoy wasn't in danger from Dumbledore. Now then when they face Voldemort, Malfoy may be in danger from him but at that point I don't think Snape stepped in because of Malfoy. I think he was acting on Dumbledore's orders much as Harry did later in refusing to tell McGonagall where Dumbledore was.

do you think Dumbledore will rise from the ashes in the next book, ;something ;like his phoenix, ;Fawkes?

I don't. It would be inconsistent with the way Rowling has written the series. So far no one has come back from the dead and in fact she addressed this issue pretty thoroughly in Order of Phoenix regarding Sirius Black.

Now what I could see is Dumbledore returning as a ghost, and helping Harry ala Obi-Wan helping Luke in the Star Wars series. Although I hope they don't do that. I think Harry will have to face this on his own, with his friends, and it will either help them grow up to become heroes or one of them will die along the way.

• Princess
    Princess
    I
    thought that maybe because of his unbreakable vow to protect Malfoy he had to kill Dumbledore.

It's possible, but Malfoy wasn't in danger from Dumbledore. Now then when they face Voldemort, Malfoy may be in danger from him but at that point I don't think Snape stepped in because of Malfoy. I think he was acting on Dumbledore's orders much as Harry did later in refusing to tell McGonagall where Dumbledore was.

I thought Malfoy's order from Voldemort was to kill Dumbledore. Since Snape made the unbreakable vow to Narcissa, when Malfoy failed, Snape had no choice but to follow through with the orders to kill Dumbledore.

Yes, but only IF he knew that Harry's scar was a Horcrux Remember that he didn't intend to transfer part of his soul to Harry He wanted to kill him; And Dumbledore said something about one commits murder one loses part of their soul ; He had already killed Harry's parents that evening ; I think Voldemort wanted 7 pieces but only got as far as 6 when the killing curse backfired on him and he was set adrfit without a body ; Since he came back in Goblet of Fire, I think he's been too busy reestablishing himself to think about that old project; But if Harry is the Gryffendor Horcrux, the locket is Slytherin and the cup is Huffle Puf what is the horcrux for Ravenclaw? Could it have something to do with Peter Petergrew's missing finger?; Was he Ravenclaw?

But Dumbledore said Voldemort needed to keep part of his soul, so the seventh part would be himself. It didn't sound like he could inadvertantly make a horcrux, it was a deliberate action. So, if Harry is indeed the Gryffendor horcrux, Voldermort would know it. Also, Voldemort would have no way of knowing that Harry would be sorted into Gryffendor in the future so it seems unlikely that Harry would be the representative of Gryffendor. Just my thoughts. I'm pretty sure Peter Pettigrew was also Gryffendor, I'll ask Rhys.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    voldemort, Dumbledore, Snape, apparate, dis-apparate, Dobby, Kreacher, Hogwarts, "green light", "Death Eater", RAB, Regulus Black, Order of Phoenix, "Goblet of Fire", Horcrux, "Gryffendor Horcrux", Malfoy

I have no idea what all these words mean.

• Pwned
    Pwned

^^

well you should pick up the first one then, you won't be dissapointed i think

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit