by sixsixsixtynine 53 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Billy Harvey

;-)

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Six........nine,

I am posting on the fly so I will not be around to respond to this post for a while, but I certainly will look out for your reply.

On the Ellington thread, which incidentally only Terry came close to understanding, you used a 'vomit' emoticon to describe the work of Larry Coryell and made it clear that his guitar playing was distasteful to you. As soon as you did that it became obvious to me that you have either never actually heard of Larry Coryell and were posting merely for effect, or that your musical tastes were quite crude and unrefined. I suspect a mixture of both these elements is the truth.

It could of course be that you have also followed the trail of dysfunctionality laid down by others who disagree with me on principle, just because I am me. Time will whether you have donned the combat fatigues of an 'attack mouse'. I note this as you seem to be trying to amuse readers by introducing my name on this thread without jusitification and that your comments about Coryell followed my admission that he had been one of my teachers in the late 70's.

You seem to recognize some musical names and have mentioned the obvious talents of Hendrix and Clapton. Perhaps you notice their names on this list of guitarist who recorded with this man whose music makes you vomit :

Guitarists John McLaughlin, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Paco De Lucia, Pat Metheny, Al Di Meola, John Abercrombie, Larry Carlton, John Scofield, Kazumi Watanabe, Ralph Towner, and Steve Kahn; drummers Billy Cobham, Elvin Jones, Steve Gadd, Lenny White, Mitch Mitchell and Tony Williams; alto sax player David Sanborn, tenor sax players Pharoah Sanders and Michael Brecker; soprano sax players Sonny Rollins and Steve Lacy, cornet player Don Cherry, trumpet players Maynard Ferguson and Randy Brecker; violinist Stephane Grappelli, keyboardists Chick Corea, Larry Young, David Sancious and Lyle Mays; and bassists Charles Mingus, Miroslav Vitous, Ron Carter, Eddie Gomez, Jack Bruce, Jimmy Garrison, Charlie Haden, Steve Swallow and Tony Levin.

So here is a little test musical test for you. Perhaps you might listen to the Coryell piece that is linked below and explain to the readers why his playing makes you ? Analyse his technique and let us know what it is about his playing that warrants your criticism. I have chosen an acoustic piece to save you criticising any band that he might have chosen to back him.

Please try to use words not emoticons this time and present your critique in a manner that does you some justice.

http://xrl.us/guwe

Lots of cuddles and see you in a while - HS

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

God's Guitar Hero?

Joe Satriani, of course! Next question.

Hillary_Step, you're a big dumb jerk!

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Anyone who has ever heard "A Tear For Eddie" by Ween knows that Gene Ween is the man.

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    As soon as you did that it became obvious to me that you have either never actually heard of Larry Coryell and were posting merely for effect, or that your musical tastes were quite crude and unrefined. I suspect a mixture of both these elements is the truth.

My Dearest Hillary,

Yes, I was "posting for effect" and trying to have a little fun with you by using the vomit emoticon. I found your reply to be a bit condescending, and think my response was more than appropriate.

So, have I heard of Larry Coryell? Yes I have, and am familiar with his work. While I would never call him a "bad" player(as his technical ability is obvious), I find his music/playing very uninteresting. There's little in it that is surprising, original, or "fresh".

Sorry, but the track you provided wasn't able to change my opinion either. Yes, it is a very profesional bit of composition and playing(although whoever engineered it should be ashamed of themselves, as that's some awful acoustic guitar tone), but it just doesn't "do anything" for me. And, I don't think if I had a masters degree in music theory it would be anymore appealing to me.

As far as the list of people he's played with, yes there are some great musicians in that group. The only thing it proves to me is that, yes, he's played with some great musicians. So?

I should add though, that while I love jazz and guitar, there's not much "jazz guitar" that I care for(a few exceptions are: Bill Frisell, Marc Ribot, McLaughlin when he was with Miles, Tommy Bolin, and some of Beck's fusion stuff) so I'm sure that factors heavily into my opinion of Coryell.

Smooches, Matt

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

BTW, I don't care for Eric Clapton's playing at all, and was just referencing the "Clapton is God" saying for laughs.

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    Anyone who has ever heard "A Tear For Eddie" by Ween knows that Gene Ween is the man.

Yeah that song friggin' rocks. Have you ever heard "Rose in the Heather", by Nazareth? I think that's where the inspiration for "A Tear For Eddie" came from.

Isn't Dean the lead guitarist? I can never keep them straight.

Stay brown!

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

James Hetfield is a pretty fine example of a Guitar God.The Blokes stunning.

I sometimes forget theres another Guitarist in Metallica....and he was taught by Joe Satriani i believe!

Dunno if hes been mentioned,but Josh Homme of QOTSA is a very underrated player.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Sixxyy,

Thank you for you note and for toning down your uncalled for sarcasm.

The piece that I linked was recorded in his home studio, pre-engineered, I have it on a master. It was re-recorded for publication I believe in the late eighties on a CD called 'Dragon Gate', I have not heard the finished version. It was not linked for its recording quality, it was linked to show his considerable prowess on the guitar.

You may not enjoy his music, and frankly he is not my favorite guitarist either, but you can recognize his talents very clearly from that piece. I do not think that only what I enjoy listening to is 'good' or 'interesting' music and I hope that you have grown beyond that stage in your own musical tastes as well, as this goes to the heart of many comments on the 'Ellington' thread.

Coryell admitted that his playing took on new depths and dimensions after he went back to music school, and decades after his career was made. That is the point of my post.

Guitarists that I enjoy are people like Alan Holdsworth, imho one of the best rock / jazz guitarists around, Terry Smith, Davy Graham, Pye Hastings, Miller Anderson, Franco Mussida ( PFM's extraordinary guitarist ), Pat Metheny of course, Jan Ackerman ( where is he? ). I have never really been a fan of Clapton or Hendrix, but I do recognize their skill. They were both taught by professionals, incidentally.

The list of those whom he has played with was included for obvious reasons. These are professionals at the top of their trade. They would only play with their peers. Surely you can join the dots on that one? Coryell admitted that his playing took on new depths and dimensions after he went back to music school, and decades after his career was made. For a person with an already established and respected career, the implications of this are important. That is the point of my post.

And, I don't think if I had a masters degree in music theory it would be anymore appealing to me.

I ask again, is what appeals to you 'good' music. Is what does not appeal to you 'bad' music? Is music a matter of personal taste or are there standards by which one can measure quailty? Go back and get the sense of Ellington's words. They have flown right over your head it seems. Look at Terry's post, he is close to defining what Ellington was really saying.

I do not have a music degree, neither did Duke Ellington, I am not a terribly good guitarist - I am too undisciplined, my talents lie in other areas musically . I have never on this board indicated that I was a great player, just a good one player, but I will PM you a link of a Strat solo that I recorded with a UK band back when you were sucking teats.

Best regards - HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

dan,

Joe Satriani, of course! Next question. Hillary_Step, you're a big dumb jerk!

lol...Oh yes, I forgot Joe Satriani and I forgot Zappa too....lol.

Best regards - HS

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

steve howe was quite good too

..and he did the flamenco guitar on queens - innuendo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit