No... I wasn't mind controlled

by Zoos 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Zoos
    Zoos

THOU SHALT NOT STAY AT A HOTEL THAT IS NOT ON THE ROOMING LIST

Work prevented me from attending our assigned district (regional) convention so I arranged my schedule to attend in a different city/weekend. I know that's not a problem, brothers and sisters do it all the time. What had me praying for forgiveness was when I picked a random hotel near the convention center, not knowing whether or not it was a Watchtower approved location.

Turns out it was - but they had no more Watchtower blocked rooms available. I took one anyway.

Nadab and Abihu. I couldn't get the picture of those men being destroyed for offering up illegitimate fire before Jehovah. Oh how I beseeched Jehovah to forgive me for staying in that room, thinking all weekend how I'm probably wasting my time here because God HATES people who do not follow the direction of the faithful slave.

Sheesh!

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Did you pay less?
  • jhine
    jhine

Please say that this is a joke .Really?-approved hotels!, no it must be real cus you just couldn't make it up .That is a new one on me .

Jan

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    Well, at least tell us you didn't watch any non approved hotel blue movies?
  • Sail Away
    Sail Away

jhine, this is no joke. The last hotel on the recommended lodging list that I stayed in was a hell hole, I was afraid for my safety, and my locked car was broken into and robbed.

The list would be posted on the "information board" (horrors if you said bulletin board). We would have to stand in line at the end of the meeting and copy down hotel names and phone numbers. No one was allowed to make a copy of the list. Then you couldn't call until after ten the next morning, and often had to speak to the person in charge of reserved blocks of rooms. The phone number was often busy, and by the time you got through the rooms were all gone. Then you had to wait for the next list to be posted.

I had a UBM and had to manage driving two young children to distant rooms, often an hour away. The rooms were no cheaper. Back in the day we had to send a deposit check in the mail. Now I understand there is a special website set up for reserving recommended rooms at the JW rate which is often not a bargain rate at all. It's all about the organization making money off the rank and file. Somehow all the elders families that I knew stayed in the nicest, closest rooms on the list. 

Mind controlled much? Absolutely! 

• jhine
    jhine

Sail Away , thanks for clarifying that . After I had posted I thought about it and realised that my post sounded ,well flippant for start , and this was your lives and it wasn't funny . The feelings of guilt described in the OP are horrendous . I couldn't believe what I was reading and just posted my first thoughts .

Jan

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters
    Too true, SailAway! I remember all that and those stupid hotel lists & instructions for calling and booking... I also followed the org's instructions "just so" and would feel terribly guilty if I missed a step or didn't follow things correctly.  Such a collosal waste of time, resources and energy!!
  • Zoos
    Zoos
    konceptual99: Did you pay less?

I have no idea how my rate compared to the prearranged rate. I just paid the rack rate for a walk-in.

jhine: Please say that this is a joke

No joke. I felt wierd getting a room outside THE ARRANGEMENT.

jhine: I thought about it and realised that my post sounded ,well flippant for start

I didn't think it sounded flippant. You're fine.

• Zoos
    Zoos

They really hammer obedience to the rooming arrangement at the local meetings leading up to the convention. They emphasize that obedience in little things means obedience in bigger things.

Here I was disobeying a little thing. How the heck was I supposed to survive Armageddon?

Again... Sheesh!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

To clear your conscience, you should book a room on the approved list this year, but not attend the WT crapvention.

Or you could attend and break some different rules, like:

• Save lots of extra seats, then argue with the attendants when they try to take them.
    • Use more paper towels than you're supposed to.
    • Walk around the stadium talking to anyone or nobody, during the session.
    • And, of course, dress immodestly. Like for a dude, wear a short skirt that also shows lots of cleavage (as displayed by Benny Hill, below). And high heals that are an invitation to a fall and ensuing lawsuit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit