CAN MEN AND WOMEN JUST BE "FRIENDS"?

by Mary 119 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

Unbeliever

The lotion thing is one thing. But, what do you think about a verbal test? It could be really subtle. Isn't that less risky than a physical test?

S

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

They'll be attracted to each other; it's just a matter of time.

My husband and I were the best of 'friends' until one day, while at the beach with a group of peers, he declared his love and admiration towards me. It's been wonderful ever since!

The "love" and "sex" thing will always get in the way of a man and a woman's platonic friendship.

DY

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Maybe they could be platonic friends if the guy is gay and the woman a lesbian. Just a thought.

DY

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

If there is any chemistry or even a chance of mutual attraction or even just one of the two friends being attracted to the other, then I would say NO.

If neither friend is attracted to the other and there is not chance that they will fall in love, then maybe there can be a friendship.

I'd say, from experience, that it's risky business a good bit of the time. I've had guys that were friends think they were falling in love with me. Then I ended up having to keep them at a big distance from then on, if not cut them off completely. Thank goodness I have not fallen in love with any guys that were "just friends."

Now that I think of it, same sex people who aren't gay can fall for each other, too. I've had it happen once or twice to me, that some woman friend of mine fell for me.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Re: CAN MEN AND WOMEN JUST BE "FRIENDS"?

Perhaps Someone should ask this man...

• ballistic
    ballistic

Sorry if that sounded sarcastic or flipant but you have to see the irony of that article in this thread.

My serious answer is... in all my time, I have only known of one man successfully pull off such a friendship

and in that case it was the woman who wanted more.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Sure they can. They are called F*** Buddies

• talesin
    talesin

I think men and women can be friends. It's a matter of recognizing the attraction and feelings that will probably develop, and dealing with them.

When you really get to know someone intimately as a friend, the natural progression is to sexual attraction. That's my philosophy (and my experience), cause I feel that sex is not just a biological reaction, but also an emotional one. When you love someone, it is natural to start to desire them. Choosing whether you want to consummate those feelings is the tricky part. Usually, consummation leads to one or the other wanting more, end of friendship. Constant frustration also, end of friendship.

As GBL says ,,, Always ... well, I agree. There are exceptions to the rule, though. It's happened a couple of times in my life.

Emotional maturity is the key to male-female het friendships. Whether or not you choose to be f** buddies will be determined by your ability to emotionally distance yourself from the act. I have one friend who I love dearly, and over time we found ourselves becoming more and more attracted to each other. We had a talk about it, and decided to keep it at the friend level, instead of exploring the other, as we didn't want to ruin the friendship and both felt it would lead to having feelings that neither one of us was prepared to deal with.

I know men who keep women friends and use them for emotional support, keeping the women hanging on cause they know they are attracted to them. I know women who do the same. It's not a gender-specific behaviour.

As for me, well, I male friends, but yah, I confess that I know that all I have to do is say the word and we can do the deed. It's never worked out when I tried it, though. Sex always ruined the friendship.

Mary, it's only natural ,,,, you two have an emotional connection, and obviously the chemistry is there, even though it was not your intent to fall in love with this man. I understand how you feel, and applaud you for taking the high road. Sorry you are going through this!

xo

tal

• rem
    rem

Sure! Women have no problem being friends and nothing more with me. Hmmm... maybe I'm doing something wrong? :)

rem

• Think
    Think

Very dificult to be Friend with the opposite sex. Sooner or later I feel more romantic atraction. And I noticed this same feeling from the opposite. But it is not impossible to be just Friends. Of course, if you are Jesus Christ . will be much easier.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit