Theocracy: When religion has its way.

by Spook 10 Replies latest social current

• Spook
    Spook

http://direland.typepad.com/

The murder of homosexual teens in Iran. Sad and disgusting, yet I have little faith that a bible based theocracy would long avoid similar tyranny and oppression. Indeed, look and you will see that many theocrats influencing the US government would like to see homosexuality outlawed.

Sigh.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Sadly...if "Americans" aren't the perpetrators...no one will scream very loudly.

u/d (of the that's pathetic class)

• Daunt
    Daunt

I feel that most people complain about America's mishaps because it greatly affects them more. But anyways ya that's how it happens. When things aren't based on reason things go array.

• Spook
    Spook

I hear you U/D. One cause of this is that Americans have a great deal more chauvenism and bias than other western nations. I say this after traveling extensively. Many Europeon cultures find it easier to be honest about the impact of their actions.

So, if I cry that the Soviet union engaged in brutal oppression, everyone nods along and I don't have to prove anything. If I say the U.S. engages in brutal oppression, all of a sudden everyone demands a mountain of evidence - and they usually ignore that.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Sadly...the Dubs would do the same thing...if allowed.

u/d (of the hates Fundies class)

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

sad.

there's groups like that in all countries. there are some real morons up here where i live that would do the same thing if they could.

Karl Marx [1818-1883] German political philosopher and economist

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, & the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."

• upside/down
    upside/down

That's it!

It's not my fault....I was an opium addict! (and it must've been "the good stuff")

u/d (of the got the shakes class)

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, & the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people." An elder always told this statement to ridecule Marx. But well it caused me more to think about the Jw's then Marx actually. Anyway is that not one of the big differences between the USA and europe? That in europe (at least western europe) most people are atheists, while in the usa religion still has such a big influence? Danny

• upside/down
    upside/down

while in the usa religion still has such a big influence?

Without media attention....religion is almost dead here too...it's a thin veneer at best.

Turn off your TV and see...

u/d

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

atheists are a real minority in north america, even if the abraham folk don't hold to their religion that well anymore.

(packs bags for belgium)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit