God’s Hero[s]

by Norm 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

I do not think it's arrogant to be wondering why a supposedly loving God choose to kill men, women and children while calling faithful some characters who did things any Jehovah's Witnesses would be Disfellowshipped for (or sentenced by the world itself, in the case of Samson and others.)

How can a fair God say "Thou shalt not kill" then have all these people wiped-out is just beyond my understanding. And yes, I do think it's important to understand before blindly beleiving. God from the Bible seem to have two distinct personalities...the vengeful, violent one, and the one who is called Love who gave is own son to save humanity.

• sixsixsixtynine
  • Norm
    Norm

A very interesting book by the title:

The Bible Unearthed : Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts

Is available on Amamzon and other book stores. I highly recommed reading it. You will change your view of the Bible forever after reading it. Here are some comments you can check up:

http://www.atheistcoalition.org/docs/bible-unearthed.html
    http://www.rense.com/general18/bible.htm
    http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/article.asp?ID=2554
    http://www.bibleinterp.com/commentary/Finkelstein_Silberman022001.htm

Norm

• Rex
    Rex

You said: >What did God’s spirit influence Samson to do? Let us find out: *** Rbi8 Judges 14:1-2 *** 14 Then Samson went down to Tim'nah and saw a woman in Tim'nah of the daughters of the Phi•lis'tines. 2 So he went up and told his father and his mother and said: “There is a woman that I have seen in Tim'nah of the daughters of the Phi•lis'tines, and now get her for me as a wife. >Well, apparently God made him think about, and (gasp) want sex because he wanted to marry, not to a fine Jewish woman, but a Philistine woman. God had apparently for some reason seen fit to endow Samson with “great strength”, one of the way’s Samson used this ability was to be cruel to animals, apparently something greatly admired in those days: The problem with your reasoning here is that you seem to assume that all that Samson ever did was under the influence of the Holy Spirit. Any first year student of biblical history can tell you that God did not indwell any person CONTINUALLY until after the cross of Calvary. Much like any of us ex-JW, you assume things that are not true, leading to a errant conclusion. I'd encourage you to actually take some courses in biblical exgesis and hermeneutics before you attempt to critisize the book that you so love to bash. Have a nice day! Rex

• Rex
    Rex

Hi Lilicurly, >I do not think it's arrogant to be wondering why a supposedly loving God choose to kill men, women and children while calling faithful some characters who did things any Jehovah's Witnesses would be Disfellowshipped for (or sentenced by the world itself, in the case of Samson and others.) Who determines our ultimate lifespan and how we die, if not by commision then by ommision? When it comes to that kind of subject, God has his providence and will that overarches all other concerns. He sees the 'big picture' and is omniscient and omnipresent. God cannot, by the very defintion, be a self-limited spirit as JW's teach. God is not in any obligated to do what we think is right and best. In fact, He only assures Christians of His divine providence. "All things work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose." Rom. 8.28. There is no assurance like that for the ones who will ultimately oppose and die eternally due to unbelief (John 3.16-20 tells us why some beleive and some will not). A study of the bood of Romans will help you get the theology right to begin with. Try a good study Bible then look online for resources and books available. Even within the principles of predestination there is room for man to choose life or death (when it comes to eternity). Don't assume that the immortality of the soul is false.... >How can a fair God say "Thou shalt not kill" then have all these people wiped-out is just beyond my understanding. And yes, I do think it's important to understand before blindly beleiving. God from the Bible seem to have two distinct personalities...the vengeful, violent one, and the one who is called Love who gave is own son to save humanity. This subject is too in-depth to give any good answers here. I may be able to point you the right way if you choose to pursue it through a private e-mail. I can recommend some good apologetics works if you are seriously searching for answers. God Bless you and keep you. Rex

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    He [God} sees the 'big picture' and is omniscient and omnipresent.

Dear Rex, if you have even the slightest clue as to what your above statement implies, then why, oh why Rex, do you continue to support the diminutive and limited concepts of God put forth in the Bible? If you really feel that God is "omnipresent", why don't you get your head out of that damn book and look within your own Being??????

Since God is here now, and available (omnipresent), why embrace second, third and fourth hand gibberish? Why not go direct to the Source?! Why? Why? Why? Is it the presence of God you love, or your silly beliefs about a god? Beliefs handed down and written by a bunch of old farts who themselves had little or no clue.

To speak of an infinite God, and yet continue to place great emphasis on words in a book is like stuffing your face with a menu and ignoring the platters of food.

Anything that is true, real, and actual, is not to be believed, but rather LIVED. If God really IS "Omnipresent" and thus INFINITE, then dear Rex, what does that make you? Who/what are you, really? Just beneath all that you believe yourself to be, what is here - already?

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit