Data Protection Act - a question

by tabbycat 12 Replies latest jw friends

• tabbycat
    tabbycat

Hi there everyone. Very nervous about being here, even though I left years ago. I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. When I was a JW I was 'counselled' a few times (shortly prior to leaving), though I was never publicly 'reproved' (? can't remember the various jargon) etc. My status now, I assume, is 'inactive', as i have neither been disfellowshipped or disassociated myself. My question is whether or not I can request copies of any documentation regarding the 'counselling' I received under the UK data protection act? And if so, to whom should I make this request and will the fact i have requested it be made known publicly (or to anyone other than the specific people I request the info from)? If anyone can enligten me, I'd be most grateful.

I have many more questions, but i think i'll put them forward one-by-one! Thanks x

• rebel8
    rebel8

Hi tabbycat, and welcome. No need to be nervous. Most of the people on this forum are really nice, not rabid/demonized/insane "apostates" like the WTS claims, LOL!

I'm not DFd/DAd either. Just stopped going to meetings and in FS.

I can't answer your question about the law. However, I have seen the secret elders' manual and it says you can request that they remove all records of you ever being a JW from the congregation. You would probably be considered to be disassociating (DAing) yourself though.

• tabbycat
    tabbycat

Hi Rebel8, thanks for your reply. I think you're probably right about being disassociated if I ask for records to be deleted, but what I really want is to see what was written! I think I'm entitled to ask for that info, but it may well spiral into an Orwellian drama if by asking I am deemed to be acting suspiciously! (Even though I've been 'out' for over a decade...)

• Scully
    Scully

Hi Tabbycat and welcome!

I highly doubt that any records are kept of "counsel" given by individual elders. There may be something if there was private or public reproof, but given that all JWs are "ministers" part of that is the admonition to keep "building up one another".

More importantly, if you have been inactive/faded these past 10 years, why would you want to risk them getting in your business again? You know what they say about letting sleeping dogs lie.... and really, what they say about you on the basis of something that happened 10 years ago or more has nothing do to with who you are today. No doubt you've moved on with your life and have a measure of happiness that does not involve them or their opinions of you. I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of even contacting them again.

Cheers, Scully

• rebel8
    rebel8

In the US, religions can do pretty much as they please with little/no interference from the government.

I seriously doubt they'd actually expunge their records anyway. They'd probably just say they did and then save them anyway. I've been out for over a decade too and am sure it would cause a big scandal if I asked for the records. I have relatives still "in" who would undoubtedly be interrogated.

Another idea I've heard people use....if you have an elder friend from an out of town congregation, you could have him request your records and say you moved.

When you feel comfortable, I'd love to hear your story and what brought you to the forum. We all have interesting stories to tell. All different kinds of people come to this forum...people who are in the process of leaving, some recently left, some left a long time ago, some spouses of JWs, and the occassional active JW (which gets interesting).

I left after graduating high school, once I had enough money to move out of my mother's house. My life was put at risk many times throughout childhood because my mother refused blood and preventative/emergency care for a serious health condition. I left because of realizing the bad things about the religion. Later I put myself through college, became a psych social worker, and treated some JWs who were sexually abused by fellow JWs. That was really eye-opening. Scary.

I had a serious conflict w/my mother at the beginning of this year, and it spurned me to find a forum to vent on. It was very therapeutic. When I was a social worker, I made notes for an emotional recovery book for ex-JWs. I got them out and published it. I made a web site too. So that's my story. :)

• core
    core

You would need to write to the cong you were last in requesting any and all information they hold on you - they will charge you a fee (£20 I think - cant remember exactly) and also will charge for copies sent - what u will get will only be Publisher Record Cards but as they are not held for over 7 years u likely will get nothing - on records of any judicial or semi-judicial meetings/counselling - there will be no records - nothing written will be retained and the UK branch will have no record/knowledge of what happened.

Let sleeping dogs lie

• tabbycat
    tabbycat

Thanks Scully, Core and Rebel8 for your kind replies! I suppose you're right - i should just leave it. I too have relatives 'still in' and would hate for them to be involved in any 'unpleasantness'.

I am anxious to stay anonymous at this point - I'm sure you can all empathise with why that's the case. However, my story is basically this: I was 'born into' the JWs and left when I was in my late teens. I found it very difficult to leave, but felt I had to. Despite moving on majorly still feel I have 'issues' that I'd like to resolve somehow. My mother and sister were JWs and still are but my father wasn't (and still isn't). It feels like a big breakthrough to even post on this site...

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

You would need to write to the cong you were last in requesting any and all information they hold on you - they will charge you a fee (£20 I think - cant remember exactly) and also will charge for copies sent - what u will get will only be Publisher Record Cards but as they are not held for over 7 years u likely will get nothing - on records of any judicial or semi-judicial meetings/counselling - there will be no records - nothing written will be retained and the UK branch will have no record/knowledge of what happened.

Thats absolutely dead on because my Brother did all that when he da,ed,i assume you are British?

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Oh yes i see from your opening post you are

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

You can ask to see any documentation that relates to you as a data subject; this doesnt mean anything that mentions you in passing but any documents which relate to you personally such as a record card; if a formal record has been kept of counsel provided to you this too could come within the provisions set out in the DPA.

Normally when you make such request the recipient can request an administration charge of £10.00 for their trouble and this should be paid when you make such request to avoid delay; the respondent then has 42 days in which to respond.

I have a template letter which can be used if you are interested? PM me if you are.

DB74

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit