Society's position on illegal aliens

by sir82 24 Replies latest jw friends

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Witnesses who are illegal aliens are not allowed to hold special privileges. The reason is because the are violating the law.

Witnesses do not report child molesters in the congregation to the police. Why would they report illegal aliens to ICE? However, in many states, it is a jailable offense to fail to report child abuse. So, I wonder how they get around that?

I used to get a feeling of shame when I booked people into jail and say their Blood Card in their wallet. Now, it doesn't phase me a bit. I booked a pioneer sister in my own congregation for physically abusing her daughter.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My goodness, they have a party platform just as if they were a major political party. No principles stand out. Any principle is muddled by what would term Pharasaic splitting of hairs. Bible principles should be beacons of light. I suppose they never gave a public analysis of why some things are ok and other things are forbidden. I see no meaningful distinctions. If they are part of the congregation, help should be given to clarify and improve their legal status. Of course, that would involve the Society in charity and love.

I heard the Cardinal from LA lecture about immigration issues at the National Constitution Center. His position was clear cut. Help them. Christ helped strangers. Jesus and his family were prob. illegal aliens in Egypt.

• TheUbermensch
    TheUbermensch

Oh please. So tired of the "white people that took native land" arguments. Honestly, it's been over 200 years since that happened, yes it was horrible and they were ruthless, but none of those people are alive anymore (obviously). I've met many Jews in my lifetime, but none of them ever mentioned the Holocaust when someone was talking about Germany. Are the descendants of the Carthaginians still mad at Italians? Are the Egyptians still mad at Greece? No, of course not, because those events transpired and they realize that they are over and done with and there isn't anything anyone can do about it. (Plus, the Americans that are alive today wouldn't be if it wasn't for those ruthless white men.)

Back on topic: My grandmother (which is my exposure to the WTS after basically living with her for most of my child/teenager-hood) is a very faithful JW who views illegal aliens as acceptable, and she HATES discussions about it (my grandpa, retired after 40 years of being an electrician, knows all about the hardships they create in construction, and he LOVES to tell her about it).

Personally, as a resident of Arizona, they've basically ruined this state, so I do not have any tolerance for illegal crossing of the border.

• Bella15
    Bella15

"No religious organization would turn an undocumented person in, and they aren't obligated to do so. This is one of their few compassionate stands, and I'm not willing to criticize them for it."

I know many organizations with this compassionate stand...not to trash the WTC but when the ABC program was in effect to give amnesty to illegal immigrants it took some arm twisting to get the WTC give proof of residency to illegal JWs ... as members of a church the elders could attest that they have been in the country for whatever period of time they have attended the KHs ... actually at the beginning the WTC didn't want to help illegal JWs because the Baptists and Catholics were the ones behind the amnesty program ... so on this issue the WTC could care less about "compassion" ...

• Roski
    Roski

I know a woman who was a primary school teacher in North Carolina. When the subject of JW's first came up her immediate response was to roll her eyes and say that JW's are seen as quite a force in harbouring illegal aliens. This was her first response to the subject of JW's. I was quite surprised when she said this and asked for clarification, but she insisted this was true - suggesting that they actually encouraged people to stay and were knowingly breaking the law. This woman is not anti JW and quite liberal in her thinking. She is also not prone to exaggeration. She worked with these children a lot so would know the situation well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit