144,000 on The Simpsons

by sixsixsixtynine 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

144,000 is in the book of Revelation. It's not as famous as 666, but it is a biblical number. Of course, non-kooky religions generally don't interpret it literally.

• Daunt
    Daunt

I began to clap when I heard the simpsons say that about JWs. I litterally laughed for about a good 6 minutes. Never seen anybody else on tv have that audacity except Family guy when they were singing about Peter getting his new mansion and they sang the line, "We'll stop Jehovah's at your gate (not singing) can I see your pamphlet sir?" And then he slaps him with the pamphlet. I laugh every time i see that episode.

• Justin
    Justin

There is, not a religion, but a school of prophetic interpretation which is very popular with Evangelicals, and is known as Dispensationalism. These folks hold to the belief that, once the true believers in Jesus have been raptured, 144,000 literal Israelites will be converted and spread the gospel throughout the world during the reign of Antichrist. Then, after a period of seven years (known as the "great tribulation") Jesus will return and fight the battle of Armageddon. While I have not read the Left Behind series, I believe it represents this school of prophecy, and therefore the TV program was probably poking fun at their 144,000 rather than the JW 144,000.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

There has been a couple of references to the Jdub on the Simpsons. I recall the time Marge said "I was so bored the other morning I invited some Jehovah's Witnesses in just to talk to and they snuck out when I went into the kitchen to get some Ice Tea"..

Will

• Frog
    Frog

Oh, how very amusing. I'm sure it was an attempt at a p*ss-take on the dubs. I love it when the Simpsons writers do that:)...I especially like that old one where Homer said "if it's the JW's tell them I'm going to put them through the flyscreen"...or something like that hehehaha. I have seen that episode a few times, so when I was staying at my dads and that scene was coming up I made him watch it, I don't think he was terribly impressed lol!

We were learning about being rewarded on cultural competancy in Media studies lecturers this week, I wonder how many non-dubs picked up this reference? Frog x

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    There is, not a religion, but a school of prophetic interpretation which is very popular with Evangelicals, and is known as Dispensationalism. These folks hold to the belief that, once the true believers in Jesus have been raptured, 144,000 literal Israelites will be converted and spread the gospel throughout the world during the reign of Antichrist. Then, after a period of seven years (known as the "great tribulation") Jesus will return and fight the battle of Armageddon. While I have not read the Left Behind series, I believe it represents this school of prophecy, and therefore the TV program was probably poking fun at their 144,000 rather than the JW 144,000.

"Dispensationalism", huh?

Very interesting, thanks Justin

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Just to move things off track a little bit...

I was watching the simpsons last night and the Simpson family were going away to help Homer relax. Anyway they were off to Florida. Homer goes "Florida! America's Wang"

I am still laughing about that. I have never heard that expression before. Its a killer!

'

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

Yeah, that was a good one. Later in the show they get sent to a chain gang in "Six Toe County". lol!

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Dont dispensationalists only believe in prescription medicine?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit