144,000 on The Simpsons

by sixsixsixtynine 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

In last nights episode of The Simpsons, Homer goes to see the movie "Left Below", and subsequently becomes obsessed with the rapture. When they show an equation he's working on to determine when it will come, one of the numbers is 144,000!

Do any other religions besides the Witnesses and Adventists use that number?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I think that was, in part, a jab at the JWs for their many failed prophecies of the "END".

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

i think some newagers use the number of 144,000 for those who will ascend, or something stupid like that.

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

In Gillingham, Kent there was a a building called Jezreel Tower. I've been desperately trying to find any conformation on t'internet but from what I can remember it was built by an apocalyptic cult to house 72 men and 72 women (144) during a second flood. This was around the turn of the 19th C I believe. It was never completed and ironically the site was on the way to the KH I use to go to.

• lawrence
    lawrence

I believe in past studies the Waldenses and some Anabaptist splinter placed emphasis on the 144,000. This Anabaptist "sect" also were pre-Adamites, believing that there were other creations and this Adam was one of many "attempts."

• jillbedford
    jillbedford

Being from Knoxville, (it was an episode, we are so proud....)and being a Simpson fan, I think this was a specific jab at JW's.

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    I think this was a specific jab at JW's.

Yeah, I thought it was too.

Remember the episode where Marge got a new doorbell, and was excited to see Witnesses coming to the door? But before they ring the bell, one asks the other "Do you ever think that maybe we're wasting our time, and should go get real jobs?" Then they throw their magazines on the ground and walk away!

• sweet tee
    sweet tee
    "Do you ever think that maybe we're wasting our time, and should go get real jobs?" Then they throw their magazines on the ground and walk away!

ROFLMAO!!! Great quote to use when the witlesses come to your door !

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

So. I wonder who in the Simpsons writing department has had experience with JW's?

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

Oops, I Just noticed that someone already started a thread about this yesterday.

D'oh!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit