True Bethel Story

by drahcir yarrum 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

I arrived at Bethel in December of 1968 on a cold night. I had the taxi drop me off at the old Columbia Heights building. The door was locked so I knocked and was reluctantly allowed in by another Bethelite. After waiting in the lobby for more than an hour an assistant from the Home servants office finally showed up to help me find my room. He looked over a list and finally said that I'd be rooming with a black brother from Mississippi who happened to be of the "annointed"
    Can you imagine how I felt? Arriving at "God's house", full of awe and I'm rooming with one of the annointed. WOW! I thought I'd be writing Watchtower articles pretty quickly. Now me being white and rooming with a black also gave me an attitude that I was going to be a real diversity champion as well.

When I arrived at my new room, my new roommate was sitting on the edge of his bed reading his bible. He seemed completely uninterested in his new roomie.

Things went pretty well for a couple of days until one night, my room mate woke me up and asked me if I had been smoking cigarettes. I was incredulous. Why would he ask me that? He said that upon entering the room late a couple of nights earlier, he could smell cigarette smoke in the room and was smelling it now. We had common restroom facilities on each hall, so during the night when nature called you had to leave your room. I assured him that I didn't smoke and perhaps he smelled cigarette smoke from the street below. He didn't seem convinced.

A couple of days later after breakfast I returned to my room to pick up my coat for the walk over to the factory and found a written invitation to meet with George Couch, the home servant, at 10AM. I had no idea about what, but I dutifully walked back from the factory for my 10AM meeting. I waited in the outer office for a while and finally was invited into Couch's office where my roommate was already sitting in a chair by his desk. Couch wasted no time in telling me that my roommate was accusing me of smoking cigarettes. (A disfellowshipping offense) I think, at that moment, the whole accusation was so absurd to me that I laughed about it. Couch, as I recall thought the matter was much more serious than I did. In the course of examination and cross examination, Couch asked my roommate if he ever actually saw cigarette smoke in the room, since he had also accused me of smoking while he was sleeping. He responded that he had not. When Couch pressed him as to how that could be, my roomie said that he suspected that I was smoking in the closet and blowing the smoke into my suitcase and trapping the smoke therein. At this, even Couch laughed. He sent us back to work and when I returned that evening, I was assigned to a new room in the Margaret Hotel building.

After a few weeks, I learned that my anointed ex-roommate had been asked to leave Bethel. No explanation was given. Now the area of Brooklyn Heights around Bethel is an area of old brownstones and a residential area where many homosexuals live. Several weeks later, I saw my ex-roommate walking hand in hand with two other men outside the St.George Hotel. I think at that point I could have used a cigarette.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Ha ha, maybe this man was a flaming homosexual.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

• Isis
    Isis

drahcir yarrum,

That is a wild story to say the least. How long did you stay at Bethel after that?

Isis

• roro
    roro

Another True Bethel Story-

I lived in the 107 Columbia Heights Bldg. They called in the boys dorm because there were no married couples because the rooms did not have bathrooms. It was also the home of a good number of NPG's due to the common showers. Now you may be asking what is an NPG? This stands for Non-Practicing Gays. Every morning the NPG's would go to the showers early and pretend to be reading or working on a talk while they were waiting in line for the shower. Then when their turn came up and they were right by the entrace to the shower area and they could watch the young men get undressed. They would say to the person behind them that they just wanted to finish up this one part so that person could go ahead them. Earning them some more viewing time. They would also shower on different floors so as to try and throw people off. Now before there are any cries of sexual discrimination let it be known that I do not have any issues with gays I just thought this story would be amusing to some.

Roro

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

Isis:

I stayed almost 2 years. I got engaged while on vacation and when I returned to Bethel I said, to hell with it, and turned in my notice to Nathan. He sent back an nasty letter telling me he hoped my marriage commitment meant more than my Bethel commitment to stay for four years. I stayed married for 11 years. So in my book it's:

ME 1
    KNORR 0

• Isis
    Isis

drahcir yarrum,

That was so rude for him, (Or anyone else for that matter), to try and compare the commitment of getting married to that of Bethel. He was just iritated to loss the free help. I would say your scoring is correct.

Isis

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

roro:

The NPG's were not even known about, at least by me, when I was at Bethel in the late 60's early 70's.

I do remember something interesting about New Years Eve 12/31/69 when my Bethel roommate burst into our room with a bottle of champagne and declared "Now we're in the decade of THE END!" Gee, I guess Witnesses really did believe the bilge from the society, in spite of the GB's protestations that they never really meant anything by the 1975 date setting.

• joelbear
    joelbear

I love good Bethel stories.

I had an interesting roommate while at the Farm. He had a lot of problems with the demons and would wake up a lot of nights hollering for Jehovah.

I had another roommate that was constantly stealing my food. I think he also wore my clothes when he thought he could get away with it. He told me it was understood at bethel that anything that came into the room was common property.

I think I've told the story about the time when the Home Overseer of the Farm came marching into my work room demanding to know why a bethel towel had been used to clean up a dirt spill and screaming for all to hear that I might have to pay for that towel. I should have known right at that moment what a bogus religion I was a part of.

I was an NPG at the farm, LOL. I could wash my hands for a long time after work in the shower room. I was a typist so I never got dirty enough to have to shower myself after work. I wish now I had met some of the other NPG's. Of course, if I had, I guess I might have become a PG pretty quickly.

hugs

Joel

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Wow, drahcir yarrum, did you know your name spells "Murray Richard" backwards?

Is that TOO spooky OR WHAT?!?! I hope it's not them demons doin' it! they do EVERYTHING, you know- much more than ol' tetra-head himself does!!!

I can't get over my shock that you would have a member of "the annointed" make a false and completely baseless accusation against you. ...or I *would*, if those phonies hadn't been playing the same game for the past 20 centuries.

Keep smilin! It all means absolutely NUTHIN!

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Great story.

Bangalore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit