Other ex-cult Internet boards?

by philo 11 Replies latest jw friends

• philo
    philo

Sharing with the ex-Mormons, I thought I'd surf for other cults message boards. What did I find? Nuffink.

Are we two communities alone in ex-cult cyber space?

philo

• Englishman
    Englishman

Philo,

Try this one! http://www.ezonemag.com/cgi-bin/disc/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Off+Topic+Discussion&number=16&DaysPrune=20&LastLogin=

See! Even fellows who follow this weird activity have their serious side. My kid brother posts here, see if you can spot him.

Englishman.

..... fanaticism masquerading beneath a cloak of reasoned logic.

• philo
    philo

Thanks Englishman, I spotted your bro, posting with what I think must be your family's entertaining way. But I quickly homed in on a discussion of something boring...Yes! There really are others who have read 'Naked Ape' by Desmond Morriss out there, and are willing to discuss it! LOL

What judicial action do you think they will take, when they find out I'm not an electric aero-modeller. It starting to worry me already. Perhaps I can palm their elders off with my prototype water rocket with pneumatic-actuated parachute deployment system (in development).

philo

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I know that there's one for the International Church of Christ. I looked up information on them when a co-worker was being love-bombed, so I could give her some good info on them.

They not only have a support board for ex-members, but they also have set up "safe houses" where those trying to get out of the cult can stay and begin recovery.

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

RH Woman and Philo:

Here's a site for people who've excaped the International Churches of Christ:

http://www.exicoc.org/

I was involved with them twenty years ago. It was ghastly. Seven years later I got sucked in by WTBTS. The control dynamics i.e. fear, intimidation, reducing an individual's ability and/or willingness to think outside the box, etc. are remarkably similar. How is your friend doing now?

I'm sitting here just feeling..... gross

I will get a brain... I WILL!!!!

lauralisa

It's only water from a stranger's tear (Peter Gabriel)

• mpatrick
    mpatrick

www.beliefnet.com has a discussion forum for just about every religion possible.

The Mormon board is hopping over there, but the JW board is dead.

• philo
    philo

Thanks RHW and Laurelisa. Mpatrick, I occasionally post on the XM board, in what way do you mean hopping?

philo

• mpatrick
    mpatrick

I just meant there was alot of posting, mainly by x-Mormons. It reminds me alot of this board.

The JW board only has a couple postings a day. I would love to see some action over there-(www.beliefnet.com) since there are a many individuals from all religions that read postings just out of curiosity.

People usually come looking for reasons why JWs don't celebrate holidays or why they are knocking on their doors. Some of these postings don't even get a single response.

If anyone here would be interested in visiting, it would be a great way to educate individuals about the "truth" of JWs. I try to do my best, but sometimes I don't know how to respond. There are many educated ones here that would be of help!

mpatrick

He does not believe who does not live according to his belief.-Thomas Fuller

• philo
    philo

:People usually come looking for reasons why JWs don't celebrate holidays or why they are knocking on their doors. Some of these postings don't even get a single response

Point taken.

:The JW board only has a couple postings a day

Actually there are normally at least a page-full of new post per day. My impression is that the XM board is similar (or a little faster) than ours. But I'd like to get some hard stats from the managers to compare.

Maybe we'll next tangle on the XM, what's your handle there?

philo

• mpatrick
    mpatrick

The reference to a couple postings a day was for the www.beliefnet.com Jehovah's Witness discussion forum

mpatrick

He does not believe who does not live according to his belief.-Thomas Fuller

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit