Hi.. I'm also new and wanted some opinion...

by Lynne Y 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• rebel8
    rebel8

Hi Lynne Y, I was like you...my mother became jw and I had no choice.

did you find something else that you thought was true? Or did you left JW because you didn't agree with/ disappointed by JW?

I left because I knew it was a hypocritical organization. There are some sincere individual jws, but many of the ones I knew were nasty, mean people who joined the religion just so they could feel morally superior to others. They were not the humble, loving, non-judgemental people they claimed to be. I knew the WTS was secretive, dishonest, controlling, and destructive to people's lives. At the moment I left, I wasn't 100% positive they weren't god's people (I thought they probably weren't), but I knew for sure I didn't want to worship a god that had people like that, and I didn't want to spend enternity with nasty people like that.

As time went on, I gained courage to examine my own beliefs about god, the supernatural, and the meaning of life....and I found the truth! Here it is: Nobody knows for sure. There is no proof. People try to pretend there is proof, but there isn't. Faith is fine, but pretending it's based upon actual evidence is delusional and serves no purpose. The most important thing is to lead a worthwhile, happy life. That is where meaning, purpose, and happiness lies: in doing the right thing for ourselves and for humanity right now. If there is later found to be evidence that god exists--great! I will have led an upright, meaningful life and will be able to add worship of god to it. I really find it hard to believe that an all-good god would be disappointed in the way I live my life.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Good morning, Lynne. I was never a JW, but I married one.

At 22 it is normal to be exploring your personal beliefs and making them your own. You may be a freak in JW-land, but your independence is normal everywhere else.

I think you are suffering from lack of information. You have been exposed to one belief system and no others. All you have is your mother's word on it that you will die without the Jehovah's Witnesses. I am here to say you will not. And I am betting you have held off baptism for the same reason. You suspect there is more out there.

Don't stop searching now. Keep looking until you find it. Have meaning for your life.

You might want to start with a philosophy course at your local college.

Here's a link that presents a balanced view of many religions http://www.religioustolerance.org/

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

Welcome to the forum Lynne! This is a great place to meet people who've been through what you're going through and get some honest feedback. You could never speak freely to a dub about your doubts and get anything other than the party line. Here you can speak the truth.

I left because I was basically tired of slaving for a bunch of old a** men who didn't give a crap about me. That along with the flip-flop doctrines. It was too much, boring as hell and time to get on with my life. I was in for about 12 years, got baptized right after I turned 17 - no family in so when I had enough I just walked away.

Rebel8 summed up the way I feel right now too:

Nobody knows for sure. There is no proof. People try to pretend there is proof, but there isn't. Faith is fine, but pretending it's based upon actual evidence is delusional and serves no purpose. The most important thing is to lead a worthwhile, happy life. That is where meaning, purpose, and happiness lies: in doing the right thing for ourselves and for humanity right now. If there is later found to be evidence that god exists--great! I will have led an upright, meaningful life and will be able to add worship of god to it. I really find it hard to believe that an all-good god would be disappointed in the way I live my life.

The only thing I would like to add is that I DO believe in God, just not the way it's described in the Bible. That just doesn't make sense to me that God is love and he's so interested in our day-to-day sins but doesn't step in and really help mankind in general due to some dispute with the devil and a test upon mankind. I would rather admit that I don't know than believe in and base my life on a bunch of fairy tales. May as well believe in Santa Claus and the tooth fairy too.

Like it was mentioned earlier, agnosticism is very liberating. Until you find YOUR truth don't sign up for anything. And it's probably best to keep your mother in the dark for now. A lot of witnesses seem to be getting fed up with the GB lately. There are now posters here everyday - some of them active witnesses trying to fade. Your mother may join that bunch ... you never know. Give it time. Don't sever the relationship now by announcing that you think it's all a crock. You're not baptized so you can choose whether to go or not since you're not locked into the GB

• urbanized
    urbanized

Hi, Lynne. Welcome aboard. Please don’t mind this formatting if it all comes out in one horrible long paragraph; its hard to format text in this forum on a Mac. I'm new to the forum myself. Your story sounds kind of familiar to me. I didn't leave the organization until I was 17, but as you know, even that's a late age for an unbaptized girl. Which I was. I was never baptized for the same reasons as you describe, although there was pressure now and then. I wasn't one of those slack JW's or anything, my family was quite serious about it, I think that I escaped a lot of the congregational pressure that a teenager might usually face because of two reasons: 1) my mom died when I was ten, and I think people just felt sorry for me, and maybe expected me to screw up a little and 2) my dad had health problems that didn't permit him to handle anymore responsibility at the Kingdom Hall than serving as a Ministerial Servant, so his status in the congregation wasn't exactly riding on my baptism or anything. Anyway, as to your question of baptism, it's like marriage...if you have any doubts whatsoever, DON'T DO IT. Why would you make a commitment like that when you didn't want to? Of course the pressure to be baptized is immense, but you seem to have handled it thus far. My reasons for leaving? Lost interest, felt dead inside, wanted things that the Society simply would not let me have, it was boring, it was boring, it was boring. Did I find something else? No, not immediately. I had read James Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, and I had decided that like his main character, Steven Daedelus, I didn't care if the confines of religion were justified or not, I was making a choice to defy them, and if that choice meant condemnation then I welcomed condemnation just fine. It was dramatic in my head, but real life kept just going, and surprisingly well. Here is a really brief list of the transition phases I went through for the next 12 years or so (seriously generalizing here)

1. Left what I thought was the truth simply because it wasn’t for me. This meant that I was able to enjoy tons of things that I couldn’t before, have a life with interests, be free, etc. etc., but unfortunately it also meant that every now and then I cried under my blankets for hours because I was going to die in Armageddon.

2. Began to realize that the truth wasn’t really the truth after all.
    This meant that I stopped crying under my blankets, and started feeling better about my life. I stopped feeling eternally doomed and damned and just started to feel normal. Amazing. I could now get serious about college and other things that never felt within reach. I sure didn’t like to talk about my JW past with anyone, however, because now although I felt free from blame for my worldly life, I felt somehow responsible for growing up in a weirdo religion.

3. Finally realized that the truth was not only a lie, but a crazy cult. Once I got away long enough from the cult, I saw it for what it was. This only took about 10 years. In the meantime, did I seek out spirituality of any sort? No, not actively. Most of the time I didn’t feel it was necessary. Sometimes though I felt sore inside for lack of it. My life had meaning though, something that I never felt while part of the organization. In the Org, I only mattered as long as I was a faithful member of Jehovah’s organization, an upstanding young Christian, etc. etc. My hopes, goals and talents meant nothing if they weren’t being used to promote the Org’s idea of God’s Kingdom. Nothing about my personality mattered one bit to anyone in that Kingdom Hall.

Last year I went church shopping for a place I could feel comfortable, get my weekly fix of heavy liturgy (something we all missed out on if we grew up JW) and belong to a community as I was about to graduate from college and leave that one behind. I also wanted to get involved in some church-organized community service. I visited an Episcopal church and I enjoyed it immensely, but I ended up becoming a member of the 2nd church I visited, a downtown Presbyterian church with a kind and interesting congregation. The Presbyterian message meant a lot to me because of many reasons, for one, there is no fiery hell, and that my ex-brothers and sisters, is the one I will never be able to get over. Presbyterian’s do not believe they are the only true religion, they do believe in responsible family planning, they allow all to take part in the communion- I was allowed to take part although I wasn’t baptized! They are not a perfect Religion; I don’t believe there is one. But I felt for the first time ever in my life, that if there was a right place to be in, then I was in it. These people were interested in who I was, they were interested in working hard to make their neighborhood a better place, they were educated, compassionate people of all political persuasions and I fit right in. Just as my Inquirer’s Classes were about to end and my membership was about to officially begin, the Youth Pastor took me out to lunch and asked if I wanted to be baptized. “Adult baptisms show God’s presence in our congregation,” was among some of the beautiful things he said to me concerning the matter. It only took me a few hours to think that one through, of course I did. It felt so different than languishing in the JW’s for 17 years, being told again and again that I needed to make this drastic commitment that meant my very life. Now I am a baptized member of this wonderful Presbyterian church. They don’t monitor my behavior, and they offer me many opportunities to get involved in civic and volunteer life. I could go on and on, but I’m not trying to sell the Presbyterian church to you. What I’m trying to do is show you that I left the JW’s for the wild open, and it was okay. I left and I did feel at times that there was something missing, and it was okay. 12 years later I found something wonderful spiritually and it didn’t matter how long it took me to find it, because in the meantime I found all these other things out about myself, through education, through relationships with friends & boyfriends, and through work.

As far as your family goes Lynne, I could go into that story but this boundless paragraph would drag on and on. Besides, you know your mother best and how you handle that situation is up to you. Sometimes before my dad died, it was worth it to let him talk about Jehovah and the congregation and eternal gloom and doom and even agree here and there, sometimes It was only worth it to steer the conversation to something else. You need to follow your heart and I know it sounds easier than it is but that’s the best way to start things off.

• kls
    kls

Welcome Lynne , and all i can say is some good advise here

• jgnat
    jgnat

Wow, Urbanized. You articulated so beautifully what can be for an ex-JW youth. You found you, and valued yourself enough not to give yourself over to anybody. Bravo. I'm bookmarking your story.

Are you reading, Lynne?

• Lynne Y
    Lynne Y

Thank you everyone for all your wonderful comments!!

And Urbanized, must have took you forever to write that.. heh.. Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

I am still bit confused, since it's not just about a religion but it's about a relationship between my mom and me...

I was never able to tell my friends/co-workers about my religion, and was really ashamed of it.. yeah.. I don't wanna use this word, but I felt like JW was some kind of cult.. who claims to be a christian but doesn't really belong in any category of religion...

I guess I'll have to do some more research and convince myself it's okay to leave JW and eventually tell my mom about it, the hardest part...

heh.. anyway.. thanks again for your posts!!!

Lynne

• urbanized
    urbanized

Lynne, it took me longer to correct the formatting than to write it!! Hats off to you doing honest hard research on the matter. Your religion, your relationship with your mom, it's all YOUR LIFE, and you should be the one making those decisions, even if the harsh environment at the KH makes you feel like the only choices you have are between LIFE and DEATH, you know better. Please come back here for help when you need it. jgnat, i appreciate the nice words. :)

• estrelasb
    estrelasb

This is a really excellent website created by a great norwegian guy:

http://watchtower.observer.org/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SECRETBOOKS

The WTBTS actually brought a court case against him in 1997 for the contents of this site. On that note I think you should dive into it immediately.

I say to you Lynne set yourself free. FIND YOUR OWN TRUTH, find it on your terms and among your own boundaries. At first you may feel lost but this will pass. Life is beautiful in many many ways and lived fully and deeply with your own direction you will feel liberated (I promise).

I was never baptised leaving the borg at the age of 16 (this you can be thankful for, so many, as you will read on this forum, have had the added burden of dfing). No it was not easy but I wouldn´t have it any other way. IT WAS THE BEST DECISION I EVER MADE.

Now I spend much of my time travelling (India, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Mexico, Brazil) I highly recommend it. Don´t waste your time with this cult go see the world for yourself. Peace will come, a gorgeous serenity from just being content with what is. Only you can give this to yourself no one can do it for you and especially not an inflexible org with blood on its hands.

The best of luck. Listen to your instinct and make a decision for your higher good, yourself not others.

As for your mother, there is a strong possibility that she will come round. After a stint of not speaking, my parents and I are on reasonable terms. I make it clear that my interest lies with them and NOT the org they follow. Ups and downs yes but one must respect onself.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Welcome Lynne,

Many good comments made so far. Let me just try a brief stab at it?

I spent 40 years in the 'fog' of accepting Jehovah's witnesses as having the 'truth'. I and wifey left due to finding the following;

1- We were lied to directly by the WTS about matters of scripture as well as ethical matters [some mentioned above]

2- We recognize the Bible as our authority, and with decades of time to finally see it, we saw that the WTS did not

3- There is absolutely 0 proof that Jesus selected any particular denomination as his sole mouthpiece at any time,

4- Even less that he did so in 1914/1918

5- Not a single time interpretation from them has been correct or even close in 120 years

6- They began a vicious campaigne against any clear thinking in the 80's

We are still trying to get the watchtower mindset out of our thinking at times - but we are gaining on that. We are Christians. Free to believe and accept what Jesus stated without it being filtered [and altered] by a religious institution.

I would make just a couple reccomendations to you;

1- Read Crisis of Conscience

2- Read In Search of Christian Freedom

3- Read Gentile Times Reconsidered

Again - Welcome to the Forum.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit