WELCOME HOME POLE !!!

by EvilForce 21 Replies latest jw friends

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Hey Pole...welcome back. How was your trip to Boston? What did you end up doing for fun?

You retort about JCannon on the other thread was hilarious....LOL

• kls
    kls

Pole was gone ? Where did he go ? I always miss something Hi Pole ,welcome back

• skyman
    skyman

Welcome back. Hope JCannon likes you back also.

• Pole
    Pole

Hey EF,

It's really nice of you to start this welcome thread. I feel a bit embarrassed as I always shy away from public attention :-).

The Boston trip was a great experience. I got some really damp weather at first, but towards the end of my stay the skies cleared up. I can't really imagine how people stand all this humidity there though. Almost like in the Mediterranean countries.

As for sightseeing - I did the whole "freedom-trail" thing. Funny how everything is 'freedom' in Boston. Freedom trail, freedom ships, freedom popcorn (though not exactly free:). I also stepped into the Chinatown area. I stayed in the MIT area so I got a chance to see much of the MIT (including the museum) as well as Harvard.

As for shopping I got an Ipod, but I'll probably have to give it to my younger sister as soon as she sees it :)

Thanks for all the tips.

The overall impression of America was rather positive. The society in the Boston area is really hyper-multi-cultural for someone arriving fresh from Eastern Europe. I mean I've been in many different places before, but never had I seen so many new immigrants in one place. And Burger King tastes much better in the US than in most of Europe :).

The only funny thing was that some even very bright and well educated Americans suffered from the one-directional cultural transfer between the US and the rest of the world. Kind of confirming my stereotype :).

P.S.

My comments on JCannon are 100% serious. Check his posts from around a year ago. He is a textbook example of paranoia. :) You just have to love him for that!

Pole

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I did just read thru a bunch of his old posts....good god what a fruit loop. But even delusional fruit loops are welcome.

Glad you had a good time. One of America's weaknesses is that because it is so large and diverse many people never get a chance to spend time outside of the USA to get a proper perspective on how other's view the world. Hence part of the reason you see the various debates on politics here on JWD and other forums.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Pole, you were just down the road from me and I didn't even know it! I'm glad you had a nice time in the US, and especially New England. Boston is an amazing city, if you've got the time to wander about. My honey and I occasionally get down there for the best Chinese food in the world, and to walk around Harvard.

Welcome home!

• Pole
    Pole

kls,

Thanks for the welcome - you're a sweet monkey :).

insomaniac,

It's a pity you missed my Boston thread. Would've been nice to meet you! And yes - Harvard is really nice - much nicer than the MIT area, isn't it?

Pole - of the 'still recovering from the visit to the John Harvard Pub' class

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hey Pole,

welcome back. you're a computational linguist, aren't you? were you at MIT for a conference?

• chrissy
    chrissy

Welcome back...

Glad to hear you had a great time.

Chrissy

• greendawn
    greendawn

Welcome back, judging from your username I thought you lived in Poland.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit