Are you a Chatty Cathy around strangers?

by Maverick 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I'm with DB - I've started surprising myself talking to strangers on public transport or in shops etc. I don't usually start it off but I've started responding warmly and sweetly. I can't believe what a nice warm feeling I get when I do - its like I've done something amazing each day, just talking to people. And not striking up fake conversations with people so I can count time and try and convert them.

I say everyone give it a go - you get some really nice responses and you feel like a much better person for it. It feels good to be human some days!.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Give ya a clue as to what my answer is: In my HS Yearbook, my StudyHall Teacher wrote that he hoped my jaw wouldn't wear out before I turned twenty-one! LOL! I often say I should move down south as I am way too friendly for the northerners up here.......

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I am a very open person, Mav and sometimes get the same icy response. More often though, people seem very delighted by my warmth, sincere interest in them and my humor.

I live in Southwest Michigan now. This is a very quiet, polite, conservative Dutch culture. I like the quietness, but I miss the warm, open, gregarious characters of the south. I had someone tell me, I was at work in retail, that someone they didn't know told him his/her life's story recently. I told the customer that often people need a caring listener. They need to reach out and to connect with other people. That it never bothers me if someone tells me something personal or shares his/her problems or sadnesses. I told him that during my evaluation at work, I was told that I have a lot of empathy for our customers and that they like that.

I wish sometimes that I could be a little less open, but more so, I wish that people could be more open and comfortable with each other.

It's a difference in personality and culture, quiet politeness or open friendliness.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Another thought: you don't know what someone else is going through. I have heard of people who were suicidal, especially lonely elderly people, who thought no one in the world cared about them any longer. Then they spoke to someone caring on a crucial day and changed their minds about killing themselves.

I have had people be kind to me(especially teachers and dance school teachers), show sincere interest for me and it made a difference, even years later when I was feeling sad and worthless. Because of those people, I decided to never miss an opportunity to be uplifting to someone. You could help save someone's life by showing some kindness and warmth. You can add light to people's lives.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Thanks for the imput! When I was in London we took the river tour and the captain of the boat was just standing on the rail watching the tourists load on. He looked totally bored and depressed, as I walked up to the gangway I asked him if we were having fun yet? He looked a bit surprised but after a second he said, "You bet!" Then I noticed this fellow start smiling and joking with the people as they got on, he was in fact having fun! My GF would give me looks...all you guys know what looks I'm speaking of...when I start cracking wise with people. My feelings about that....Too Bad!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Then I noticed this fellow start smiling and joking with the people as they got on, he was in fact having fun!

This is exactly what I mean. It's like the song lyric, "When you're smiling, the whole world smiles with you." Bad moods are contagious. The good news is that good news and goodwill are contagious, too. Maybe if you explain this to your gf, she'll understand a little better. We don't have enough friendliness in this world these days. People have become overwhelmed with the pace and the bad news. Don't let her discourage you, Mav or you'll be one more sourpuss and the bad mood infection will continue to spread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit