Are you a Chatty Cathy around strangers?

by Maverick 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Maverick
    Maverick

My GF and I just came back from London and Scotland and this came up during the trip. I like to joke and make small talk with the service people and other guests I encounter while my GF thinks this behavior is rude. In all fareness she is from the North, Conn. and only moved to the South a few years ago, while I moved from Mass. to the South over 33 years ago. So I have adopted the Southern openess. Every now and then I'll joke with someone and they act cold and try to make me feel stupid for talking to them but I feel that maybe they just need to get laid or have a high colonic or something. My GF thinks my behavior is wacked. Now I talk to people just to piss her off, that's what she gets!

Now my questions, (I took the long way round the barn), Do you chat with people? How do you respond when ol' Mr Maverick starts to joke and crack wise around you?

• daystar
    daystar

As long as what you have to chat and joke about interests me, I chat and joke back. If not, I smile and go about my business. I thought everyone did this.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    Do you chat with people? How do you respond when ol' Mr Maverick starts to joke and crack wise around you?

I'll talk to anybody.

I love small talk. Talk about everything, while not saying anything. It's an art.

If I see a retired serviceman, (and I'm alone) I'll go shake his hand, and help him do what hes doing.

I'm a nice apostate...

• kls
    kls
    Do you chat with people? How do you respond when ol' Mr Maverick starts to joke and crack wise around you?

It would make me feel more at ease if i were to meet someone and they would start joking ,otherwise i feel weird and uneasy and won't say a word but if as you say Maverick starts with jokes and wise cracks ,i will join in cause that is my kinda people.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I have my moments. All of a sudden I'll be somewhere striking up inane conversations with strangers having a grand old chat... Then as I walk away I ask myself how I managed to end up in conversation in the first place. But I do love a good chin wag...

• G Money
    G Money

Well that just plain ole southern hospitality and bein nice, all don't have it.

Keep it up, maybe it'll be contageous and everyone will be chattin it up and nicer!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Absolutely, Mav! It's the only way to go, eh? I love to chat with strangers in the aisles of grocery stores and Wally World....checkout lines, too.

Frannie

• Ellie
    Ellie

I always chat and have a joke with people, its rude not to isn't it?

• IronGland
    IronGland

I dont think its rude,mav. I do hate it when i'm obviously having a bad day and a stranger keeps making jokes or smalltalk and then acts offended when I dont respond in kind.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I used to be quite quiet and reserved but through the years this has disappeared completely...especially since leaving the witnesses.

I have been known to strike up a conversation with complete strangers and am not put off when others do so with me either...I think its cool...remember being on the train from chester one evening and got chatting to a couple on the train...we got happily merry drinking pims on the train home...it was hillarious.

I think if you are shy and reserved you miss out on those types of opportunities.

DB74

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit