God and religion etc..............................

by Zep 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Seven
    Seven

AhHah,

I assure you that is not what I am about.

I realize that's not what you're about. I have a tendency to be blunt and to the point. I was not accusing you of being disingenuous, you are a breath of fresh air here at Planet Simon.
    Do you believe men were moved by God's spirit to write the Bible? Inspiration can be measured by its effects. Are men who attempt to conduct their lives by it's precepts better men for this endeavor? I'm not certain exactly where I stand on this subject. Jesus is the key as I mentioned in another post. If Jesus was not the messiah there is no reason to believe. I feel it's a waste of time arguing such matters as how much time was consumed during the creation of the world. Search for the existance of Jesus on earth.
    That will keep us all busy for awhile. BTW, I liked your quote too.
    seven

I am the Lizard King. I can do anything.Jim
    Morrison

• Seven
    Seven

What's that you say, girlie-boy?
    [url]

Edited by - sevenofnine on 21 September 2000 23:27:40

• Simon
    Simon

hey Seven...I know I've been putting a few pounds on lately...but 'planet'? You'll have people thinking I'm, like, Marlon Brando or something

• Seven
    Seven

Sir Simon, Using the world planetin front of a person's name implies it is their place. Your cheeks aren't big enough to be Brando.
    seven

• AH
    AH

(from AhHah)

Seven,

Care to elaborate on your statement:

"Inspiration can be measured by its effects."?

What effects would establish inspiration by God?

• Seven
    Seven

AH, If you've changed your name to AH, why not Arrrggh, like the Castle Arrrggh from the Monty Python movie? King Arthur and Sir Bedevere came across this castle during their quest for the grail, but were forced to "run away" by animal-throwing French Knights(one of them posts here). To further elaborate on my inspiration statements: IMO, if a writing was inspired by God
    any who study it would find some truth there about the human soul-truths about himself. Within the pages God can be found, and maybe some reading
    it will find in his heart that such a thing as God
    exists. Maybe it doesn't work like this for everyone, but for some it does. I think many people long for God or for something to fulfill their needs and desires. The authors of the Bible believed they were guided by God's spirit. We can decide to believe what they wrote about Jesus to be true, just as we believe what historians write about wars or events of their time.

• AH
    AH

I am posting with profile AH (abbrev for AhHah) until Simon fixes my AhHah profile.

As to your suggestion that I use Arrrggh instead of AH, should I understand that to be a not-too-subtle reaction to my posts on this thread? BTW, I think that movie is hilarious -- a real classic.

Your comment reminds me of the point that Jung made, as quoted at the beginning of this post. If one feels that it serves one well to believe in God, then that is probably what one should do.

I would imagine that the reaction that you described that some have to the Bible is probably similar to the reaction of most individuals of faith to their sacred writings, whatever they might be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit