More fun and games....Reasons not to hire a JW.....

by riotgirlpeeps 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• riotgirlpeeps
    riotgirlpeeps

So I have seen many anti experience threads etc. My Father (a jw elder) has had several businesses for a number of years. (Thanks dad I'll follow your example really well and become an excellent business person.) He has of course hired a number of JW's. And in all fairness he has had other employees who have been not so good as well but thats not the point of this thread. Bad JW Employee stories....

There has been a common theme I have found with JW Employees. Often, though not always they expect better treatment for being a JW working for one, like they think they get extra unexcused absences etc. After all it is a business, business needs consistent employees.

One experience I can share is that there was a "brother" working for my dad, last minute the guy asked for time off to go to a convention. He was told no because a good majority of his co workers already were taking time off among other issues. He quit. Later at that convention, which happened to be ours he was on the platform as a "good" example of someone who made a sacrifice to be there, his sacrifice, you guessed it, that he quit his job so he could be at the convention.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Was it worth it to be at the convention to hear lots of boring talks? Or was it to see lots of nice JW girls?

• riotgirlpeeps
    riotgirlpeeps

This was at a convention several years ago.

I'm going to one this weekend to avoid the freak out stalker reaction that my skipping would have on the rents this time around, and going knowing full well it's my last. So I'll be in full heckling form.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

I know of several instances where a brother had only other brother employees (yes in the cleaning bussiness).

Of course work must go on. When the employees discovered that they did not all get free for the convention automatic all hell broke lose.

Another reason why it is not very wise sometimes: suppose one gets df-ed. You are also in the shit.

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

a lot of these brother-owned businesses are jobs that are done at night (such as, of course, cleaning)... well one night of the year, every JW needs off... the memorial... when that night comes, if you only have JW employees, then you are F'd up tha bum

bethel (of the hire the best man for the job class)

• Dune
    Dune

Considering that conventions and assemblies are prepared for months in advance. Its funny that you should say that he asked for a day off at the last minute, quit when it wasnt given, and then was on the convention plaform for sacrificing his job soon after the ordeal.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I have heard horror stories on here about dubs invading others privacy by going to the elders with personal medical info that they feel might point to sin.

My husband and I worked at a call center for a major Financial corp, he was in high level management and several dubs worked there, because we had to have adequet coverage at all times, the HR dept had special software, that employees would go to for time off requests, It was complex but it would tell you right away if you could get the time off or not, based on your performance (we were rated monthly) and business need. If to many people before you had already requested that slot, chances are you were sol. No way around it, except to get a high level manager to sign off on an exception form, with a really good reason, which were to be used only in very dire situations, well the dubs would get pissed when they didn't get DC & assembly days off and would run straight to the big boss and demand an exception form. In the end even if HR TD'd the exception form, the dubs would just call in anyways. They thought they were better than anybody else, the rules are there for everyone else, I guess they just think the rules don't apply to them.

DL76

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My husband and I are in the process of opening a small retail business and I so do not want to have to hire any jws. Isn't it legal to discriminate based on one's religion? I hope to be able to screen people discreetly so as not to get into to any trouble about this.

• Forscher
    Forscher

With all due respect to NGP, I found that Dub employers weren't any better. They often expected more work for less pay, cheated employees out of hard earned wages (for instance, overtime pay), and had no problem with black-listing poorer Dub employees so that they had nowhere else to go. To top it all off, they had the gall bitch about how bad and lazy Dub EMPLOYEES were! About the only thing that working for Dubs ever had going for it was that I could get time off for meetings and assemblies.

I worked for years for one Dub business where, after long and hard work learning my craft, I rose to supervise a number of other employees, all of whom were paid better than me. Did those freinds get better wages because they worked harder or better than me? Did they get better wages because they were more experienced than me? NO!! They were better paid because they were married and I was not. So, they needed the money and I didn't (that was the explanation given to me by the owner). Another brother I worked for promised me one wage, and then paid me alot less. He also refused to pay for overtime, though he made us all work it. And he was an anointed brother! So, excuse me if I don't sympathize with your complaint.

Boy! It felt good to get that one off my chest!!!

• Carol
    Carol

Mrs.Jones....it is illegal in the U.S. to discriminate in hiring and employee because of race, religion, sexual orientation and/or disability. Be very discrete when interviewing...the JW's seem to know all the rules, regulations and angles of "ceasars's law" and use it when it is to their best interests.

Carol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit