Those wrong illustrations

by DannyBloem 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tdogg
    tdogg

I think Danny was not referring to pictues, but illiustrations with words. Anecdotal illustrations.

I remeber the one about a man being in the desert and near death from thirst. Then he is offered a glass of water, but right before he takes it somone spits in it. This was supposed to illustrate how false religion could mostly true in what they teach but impure and undesirable in quenching our "spiritual thirst".

If I was that thirsy I would drink the goddamn water and when I recoverd, kick the ass of the f*ck that spit in it.

There are other stupid illustrations that I recall from thime to time but that is all I can think of right now.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    2) The people call the owner sometimes to tell what they do, and say they rape his family. He just does not care, ad says: ye, well, I'm comming back someday.

LOL danny, you crack me up man!

my fave is the creation illustration of a man building a house. obviously every house has a builder, ergo creation must too!

perhaps this is why he leaves terrorists in charge of his house when he goes on vacation to a different universe? because he no no exist?

• andy2tanx
    andy2tanx

Not a visual illustration but one of Christ's famous ones. The guy who dies and is tormented in a fiery hell-like place. God or one of his minions puts a drop of water on his finger for him to suck (pervy bastard!) to save the guy, was he called Lazarus or something like that, I forget!!?

Well, how come that illustration was used if there is no heaven or hell? Isn't that a bit stupid of god to allow it to be written in his book of lies, er, sorry I mean the bible, if it was based on an intrisic lie?

More proof that god is a total knobber if you ask me...

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    I think Danny was not referring to pictues, but illiustrations with words. ; Anecdotal illustrations.

yes tdogg, that is what I mean. Illustrations with words

The first one I give is I think from the knowledge book or the study book that came later (forgot the name)

Also I think about Jezus illustration about the one that works the whole day, gets his salary. Then half of the day someone is hired. gets also ull salary. Never thought it was fair.

Danny

• Etude
    Etude

Danny:

While I agree with you, I find that most analogies they present as arguments are much more subtle than the one you mentioned. First, my familiarity with this verbal analogy does not indicate that the owner of the house knew that the people he left in charge were bad people. He was simply ignorant of their potential and assumed that they would do the right thing. Secondly and thirdly, if the people inform the owner that they are devastating his family and house, one is free to assume that the owner can't really hurry back to resolve the issue and kick them out.

At the same time, I realize that the Watchtower has to appeal with their message to a large number of people. Unfortunately, this means appealing to the lowest common denominator. It's like my brother-in-law, who is a technical writer for military contracts, says: "You have to aim for an 8th grade education and no higher." What that means is you have to make things simple enough for people with limited education or understanding. That explains the serene pastoral depictions of the "new order" that I see in the magazines and books. If I had to live like that, petting lions and having eternal picnics on some meadow, I'd kill myself. What are they thinking? Well, even then, in paradise, I guess we won't be thinking about going to outer space or using any electronics.

The argument I made does not negate the deception that the Watchtower Society perpetrates. If the analogy is correct, how could God be so ignorant as to not know that the people he left in charge would do these bad deeds in and to his "home"? Why didn't he take relatively quick action as he did before when he caused the great flood instead of waiting for thousands of years? Assuming that God knew all along what was going to happen and had to let it happen (as in the case of Adam and Eve, you know free will and all that stuff), why let it go on when the issue had already been tested? Those are the questions in my mind!

What I'd been used to from the Organization was the blatantly skewed logic that they subjected me to. For example: While living at Bethel Farms, I had to be late to work in order to return keys to a car that I had "borrowed" from the farm office so that I could attend my congregation meeting the night before (my car was out of commission). I was written up (without my knowledge) for being late. After I found out, when I tried to explain that it was not possible for me to show up for work at 8:00 sharp because the farm office opened at the same time and they needed the keys first thing in the morning, a huge issue developed. It ended up with me going to assistant Factory Overseer, a cynical bastard, who eventually said to me: "The fact that others are on time means that you too can be on time." I said: "So, the fact that other people are late means I can be late?"

I faced such reasonings early on in my "career" at Bethel, but I shined them on do to my awe of the place. During an early orientation talk, we were told in the same instance that while we should consider Bethel our home and treat it as such, we could not do what we wanted, such as bring in furniture and put up pictures. Furthermore, we were told that before we set out to change things, we should remember that the "way" things are done at Bethel obviously had Jehovah's blessings and we shouldn't try to change anything. So, that meant (in one example) that if you were a press operator (supervisor), the other members of the team couldn't take turns and do your job. That left the operator to look pretty in front of the tours and receive all the limelight while meerly supervising the others and not doing the hard work (yes, there was a pecking order and no way to advance). That's the way Jehovah wanted it. A few years later, I learned that "Jehovah" didn't want that anymore and crews started to take turns at different jobs. But, not until after a lot of people left discontented and frustrated by going against "Jehovah". That kind of thinking really pisses me off because it's more insidious than some silly illustration, verbal or pictorial, aimed at child-like mentalities. I guess that's why they don't want you to get a higher education. That increases their chances to pull the wool over our eyes.

Etude.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Thank you Etude, for your open comment. It is nice to hear.

While I agree with you, I find that most analogies they present as arguments are much more subtle than the one you mentioned. First, my familiarity with this verbal analogy does not indicate that the owner of the house knew that the people he left in charge were bad people. He was simply ignorant of their potential and assumed that they would do the right thing. Secondly and thirdly, if the people inform the owner that they are devastating his family and house, one is free to assume that the owner can't really hurry back to resolve the issue and kick them out.

You are right, the WT does not include the things in the illustration that I did. I took the illustration a little bit further, but logically I think. For me this is an important thing, it is not that the illustration on itself is so wrong, it is that the whole story behind it is wrong in my eyes. THere is so much things that are hard to believe. Why Jehovah just does not do anything. The WT illustration cleverly avoids this, but it is in the illustration if you think about it.
    If you follow the illustration, would you ever do something like it?

At the same time, I realize that the Watchtower has to appeal with their message to a large number of people. Unfortunately, this means appealing to the lowest common denominator. It's like my brother-in-law, who is a technical writer for military contracts, says: "You have to aim for an 8th grade education and no higher." What that means is you have to make things simple enough for people with limited education or understanding. That explains the serene pastoral depictions of the "new order" that I see in the magazines and books. If I had to live like that, petting lions and having eternal picnics on some meadow, I'd kill myself. What are they thinking? Well, even then, in paradise, I guess we won't be thinking about going to outer space or using any electronics.

Yep, that is another question. I agree here.

That kind of thinking really pisses me off because it's more insidious than some silly illustration, verbal or pictorial, aimed at child-like mentalities. I guess that's why they don't want you to get a higher education. That increases their chances to pull the wool over our eyes.

Yes, I understand. I wanted always to work there. It was one of my goals. After a visit there, at my friend who worked there, and he told me some things that really happen, I was cured.
    There are many subjects and things wrong with the WTS. One is its teachings, another its actions.

Hope you feel welcome here, and can share some

thanks

Danny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit