Those wrong illustrations

by DannyBloem 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

The JW literature likes so much illustrations. Some are really wrong. Can you name some?

For example the following illustration:

The man, the owner of the house, goes on holyday and asked people to care for his house. Then he goes on holyday. In the mean time the ones taking care of the house, ruin the house, and do more bad things. When he comes back, what will he do? Of course kick the people out of the house. (jehovah is the owner, the house is the earth, the care takers ungodly people)

Now what is wrong with this illustration:

1) why does the owner asked people who he knows are bad to take care of his house?

2) The people call the owner sometimes to tell what they do, and say they rape his family. He just does not care, ad says: ye, well, I'm comming back someday.

3) The owner knows what is going on. The owner has the power to stop the people. He just does not care.

So, if you put the last 3 points into account, who other is there to blame then the owner?

• greendawn
    greendawn

People in paradise will be naked and not clothed as shown in their literature.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Danny I like your thinking. Its obvious things like this that I could never have spotted as a JW and still find hard to do so now as I break down all the mental blocks.

You made some great points!

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

My fave is a parent repremanding a child for doing something bad. Hand on hot stove thing.

"Isn't only natural to punish the child so as to protect them from harm"

Yeh, like kick them out of the house, never speak to them again, get all the relatives and friends never to speek to them again. And then kill them in the end.

makes sense to me!

steve

• gringojj
    gringojj

What is it with the child analogies? The other day i heard the one about how a child doesnt know why they cant play in the street. So I guess we are like children to god they say we dont know why we cant do certain things. Lame.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    Danny I like your thinking. Its obvious things like this that I could never have spotted as a JW and still find hard to do so now as I break down all the mental blocks.

You made some great points!

Thank you, that is nice to say. Danny

• daystar
    daystar

I see this as a problem with many if not most Christian religions, treating us as ignorant children while the Authorities in the religion are somehow better, smarter, and more in touch with the Divine. This is utter crap and is a method of mass control. Jesus taught rebellion against this control, in whatever form it comes.

• bother_forever
    bother_forever

I think the illustrations fell into several catorgries, 1, The Fear pics - Armageddon, buildings falling down, burning, running scared people etc, 2, The Paradise pics - lots of blue sky, animals, happy looking drones etc, 3, Death and Resurection pics - could also include the silly time lines of a person ageing in this section, 4, Prophetic pics and date diagrams - like the tree being chopped down and 607 = 1914 pic in live forever book, also all the trippy pics in Rev book (I 'd love some of what those artists were on). I think thats generally it, but im sure there are a few catorgries I've forgotton. All the illustrations were wrong.

• riotgirlpeeps
    riotgirlpeeps

I love how almost all of the "worldly" pictures the person has an obviously cut for the picture pair of jeans on and almost always they are smoking, so if you are not a witness you smoke. OHHHHHHHHHHHH in the Knowledge book there is a section on family happiness the family portrayed has a picnic. For one family of four there is far more food than they should eat in one sitting, gluttony anyone?

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

In the Watchtower series Jesus Life and Ministry, the illustration for the story Plucking Grain on the Sabbath (WT 07/15/86 pp 8, 9) shows Jesus and his disciples 'walking through' the wheat fields. Rocky wrote a letter to the Society after the WT article was published in 1986 pointing out the farmer's point of view. A farmer would definitely raise objections to people walking through their ready to harvest wheat. So the illustration did not really show the point of the Pharisees accusations, that of working on the Sabbath. To our surprise, the illustration was changed. Compare the original illustration to that which was published in the book The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived Ó 1991, Story 31 . The illustration is essentially the same except that 'walking through' the fields now shows Jesus and his disciples walking on a pathway lined with a short stone wall. We don't know if it was Rocky's letter that effected that change but it did give us a period of time where we were lulled into believing someone really listened at WT. Amazing how they can change an illustration in a book on a seemingly minor point, but cannot change their policy on protecting children.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit