My brother spoke to me for 2 hours after 2 1/2 years

by toladest 17 Replies latest jw friends

• toladest
    toladest

Boy that would sound weird to most normal people. My brother is still a JW. He has never attempted to talk to me since I was DFed/DAed. I did speak to him once 2 1/2 years ago but it was an uneasy conversation. Anyway, I heard his wife left him for another guy and he had primary custody of his girls. (she was announced as no longer being a JW) I used that as an excuse to call and see how things are going. He talked to me for 2 whole hours. We briefly discussed the child abuse issue as that is what got me DFed/DAed. Then we just talked. I told him I was hesitant to call and wanted to know if it was ok to call him more often. He said that as long as we don't discuss religious subjects that he did not have a problem with it. In fact he talked about coming to Colorado with his girls to see us! So at least for know it appears I have gained back a brother. I did not think that would happen. I have 2 other brothers that are still JWs that don't speak to me and my mother also won't speak to me. Maybe there is hope, but I won't hold my breath......

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Toladest that is wonderful news! I am so pleased for you. I hope this is the start to a journey of healing between you and your brother.

That's the best news I've heard all day

• nowisee
    nowisee

well it seems there is at least an opening, a possibility, some hope.

it would be wonderful if you could see each other face to face.

my best wishes with fingers crossed, nowisee

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

Its such a strange feeling to get reacquainted with family. I have a sister that was dfd about 10 years before I did (shes 8 years older). Im glad you were able to hold a conversation with a family member, maybe this is the one actual showing of concern that he needed to confirm that people will still love him no matter.

Take it slow, developing a relationship again takes time. Of course there are going to be barriers on both sides, you and your brother. Make it known that you want to be family, and leave it at that. If he wants to talk religion, let him bring it into the conversation. Congrats to you for making an effort, it takes a lot of heart to make the first move.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Wow, you must feel really really great. I'm so happy for you to have contact with your family again.

• bother_forever
    bother_forever

Congrats!, maybe this is just the start of what should be a great relationship for you both, just take things slowly and never attack his beliefs. I know where your coming from, it is wiered if you dont understand the JW mind. Good luck to ya.

• Purza
    Purza
    fact he talked about coming to Colorado with his girls to see us! So at least for know it appears I have gained back a brother.

That is wonderful. I am very happy for you.

Purza

• Frog
    Frog

I think that's really wonderful news. As long as you don't go out on a limb, and get your hopes up. Hopefully the fear doesn't grip him and he retracts his affection, just be prepared that that could happen is all I'm saying:). There is definitley hope, there is always hope. It's important that our family knows we are hear for them whenever they need us, not that they can just give or take us at a whim, but they know that we represent what family should be all about. It's about as close as we can get to 'unconditional' love.

Great news, enjoy your time with your bro. Will be great for his girls to get to know their uncle:) Thanks for sharing frog

• freedom96
    freedom96

Glad to hear that the phone conversation went well for you.

• steve2
    steve2

I'm really happy for you. It's good to know that religion will be kept out of it judging from your brother saying it's okay provided you two don't talk religion. Seems a good deal to me! Enjoy your brother's company - sounds like he's been through a pretty overwhelming time with the end of his marriage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit