Do you have any 'holdover' beliefs?

by AllAlongTheWatchtower 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

After reading and responding recently to a post about eating pork and clean and unclean meats, and also a few about newfound freedoms and pleasures that some enjoy now that they are out of the JWs, I got to wondering if there is anything like that on the flip side of the coin. In other words, despite you leaving the WTS, is there anything you still believe that they taught, even though you left or were forced out, and no longer believe the rest of the JW doctrine?

I was never a JW, but I was raised in a rather similar group called the Worldwide Church of God, many of the controls, strictures, and abuses that I saw as a child there, I see posted about here-though they are different, they are also the same. Even though I am now an atheist, there are some things that I was raised believing that are just hard to let go. For instance, eating pork, shellfish, etc, that breaks the taboo I was taught as a child. At first, I would purposely eat such things just for the little charge I got out of 'being naughty' after being kicked out the church. Once the novelty of it wore off though, I found that for the most part it was still hard to do on a regular basis, or enjoy when I did. (I still remember my first experience eating crab for my 13th birthday while in a foster home; it was the first birthday I'd had since I was 6 or 7, and the first time I had EVER eaten crabmeat. At about 2 in the AM, I woke up and had to run to the bathroom, I was violently ill-unsure whether I got sick from eating the wrong parts, or a food allergy, or what. At the time I was nearly convinced that I was being struck down like the Israelites who ate the quail in the bible story, I had not only had the audacity to eat crabmeat, but celebrated a b-day besides!)

Another example of this was that the WCG actually lead to me being atheist, they taught that christmas was wrong and pagan just as JWs do, so once I was kicked out, there were very few religions I felt I could turn to. I have seen people here talk about the frustration of trying to help family members out of the organization, but they won't leave because they say 'where else is there to go for the truth?' even if they don't believe the entirety of the doctrine anymore. I sometimes even wonder if I somehow contributed to my wife joining the JWs, due to my own beliefs, which in many cases coincide with JWs. Like not celebrating easter or christmas, which we had talked about before, it never really bothered me to give presents on christmas and such though, in fact I long ago agreed that if she wanted to have a tree or once we had kids to celebrate christmas, I had no problem with it. How ironic that now the shoe is on the other foot, and she is the one who now says they are bad.

• nowisee
    nowisee

i don't think i will ever salute the flag.

• talesin
    talesin

Nope. It's all Gone With the Winds of Change.

tal

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I try not to but it takes time to sort thruogh things so ya kind a throw them out as you get to them, it all takes time go slow because if your pretty successful you'll be throwing out a whole lot.

• zulukai
    zulukai

Welcome...interesting info, Had no idea the WCG were so similar in some beliefs. I still don't do the xmas thing, see no point to the Easter thing. These are relics from ancient religions that have outlived their purpose in my opinion. My kids celebrate all of it and I'm OK with it. They have never said one word to me about my disinterest in those times of year, but lately I have wondered about what they missed as kids and will ask them about it again, We talked about it years ago but I still feel pangs for what their JW upbringing stole from them.

Everytime the first full moon of the spring equinox rolls around I get reflective as I still believe, but the thought of organized religion makes me nauseous. I did until recently, believe that perhaps all the evil in the world meant that we WERE close to a catastrophic meltdown.....by God, I hoped!

This is the power of brainwashing for you. I feel creeped out everytime I drive past a KH...they look quite a bit like concentration camp housing,austere and devoid of life....just like what goes on behind the walls,

You"ll have to house clean one pocket of trash at a time. Some of it will probably stay with you for the rest of your life, but you don't have to let it RULE your life anymore. The food prohibitions are just plain redundant. They served the nation of Isreal for reasons best known by God, and food scientists and were all done away with when Isreal and the Law passed from the world stage as the truth of it's day.

Hope you will find a way to de-program yourself and get rid of the fears. Life really should be enjoyable.

• Justin
    Justin

I find that I do not like the Christ-centeredness of much of Christianity. Even though I accepted the doctrine of the Trinity when I left the JWs, I prefer a version of the Trinity which is functionally the same as I believed when still a JW - where the purpose of Jesus Christ (even though he is considered divine) is to lead us to the Father. The Holy Spirit, also, may be considered a "Person" in the trinitarian sense, but how much of that is metaphorical? I think some ex-JWs, though they have come to terms with the Trinity of the creeds, simply ignore the fact that much of practicing Christianity is actually modalism (the belief that one Person is playing three different roles). So I still prefer a Father-centered religion.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I came from the RC church. Still struggle with not going to confession - wondering whether my sins really get forgiven because now I don't really confess them to anyone - 'just' to God - who rarely has an audible voice! Theres a lot to be said for actually hearing someone say that you're forgiven.

• damselfly
    damselfly

For years after I left I refused to celebrate anything and found myself in the grocery store reading meat packages to make sure that their was no blood. Even though I didn't want to be a JW I couldn't shake the feeling that they were the true religion. But the more time that goes on the easier it is to shake all of that off. I celebrate christmas, enjoy my b'day cake etc. I still have yet to vote in anything, am not even sure how to go about it, but hoping to exercise that freedom soon as well.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Good thread idea!

Hmmm I dont think I'd want to join the army, I wouldnt want blood (if I could help it), I still believe in God and Jesus. I think I still belive that God has a purpose for the earth. Beyond all that Im pretty open.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It took some time to get rid of the remaining jw beliefs (many I had already ceased to believe in before disassociating) and the process was greatly speeded up by the appearance of the internet.

I now believe that nothing that originated from the jws is good, and anything good in them they took from other Christian religions, the individuals that formulated jw doctrine were amateurs at best without a proper solid education in religion so it's no wonder why by meddling in religion they made an absolute mess of the lives of their adherents. Rutherford was the worst offender in this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit