Excerpts from new book-THE SOCIOPATH NEXT DOOR. Must read for XJWs

by AndersonsInfo 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TopHat
    TopHat

Isn't it true...the more stupid one is.....the more they look up to those they think know more than them. With WTS no education for the lowly ones means the uppity ups will always be in control.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Wow!

As the daughter of a psychopathic father and a narcissistic mother I know these dynamics well.

For a long time now I have considered the personality of the WTS as a duplicate of the personality of Rutherford. I considered this in the light of Rutherford's alcoholism and the codependency of his followers to hide his alcoholism.

But this gives me a slightly different perspective of the org and Rutherford. I doubt there was any other leader in the WTS that devised a plan for his publishing empire so well that decades after his death the WTS carries on, treating people as expendable commodities to be discarded when they refuse to obey. The lack of care for the emotional, psychological and physical needs of the R&F have no importance whatsoever to the WTS as long as they do what they are told and bring honor to the WTS.

Interestingly the Milgram experiment was notable for its results

Perhaps one of the most fascinating experiments ever conducted to investigate this moral question is known as the Milgram experiment, after Stanley Milgram, the psychologist who devised the experiment. Subjects in his experiment were told that they were going to take part in exercises designed to test other people's abilities to learn. They were seated at a mock "shock generator" with thirty switches marked from 15 volts ("slight shock") to 450 volts ("danger--severe shock"). Through a small glass window they could see the "learner" in the adjoining room strapped to a chair with electrodes on his or her wrists. The subject was told he or she was to test the other person's ability to memorize lists of words, and to administer a "shock" when the learner made the mistake, increasing the intensity each time. As the intensity of the "shocks" grew, and the learner pretended to cry out in more and more pain, eventually fainting, the experimenter told the subjects they had to continue administering the shocks. Astonishingly, although the subjects grew nervous and agitated, more than two-thirds administered the highest level of shocks to the learners when ordered to do so by the experimenter. Milgram concluded that when people are ordered to do something by someone they view in authority, most will obey even when doing so violates their consciences. Conscience and Authority (bold is mine)

If we consider just the shunning policy this would explain how people can absolve themselves of responsibility for the damage they do to the ones they are shunning by passing the buck onto the org.

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I heard about this book on Oprah and I find it interesting that its popping up here too.

When I first heard about the book I thought...I should send this book to my Mother In Law, its perfect for her - the statement below is how she treats everyone she doesn't like or is jealous! I have realized that I saw this same quality in quite a few of the JW women at the hall. I cannot stand this behavior.

the covetous sociopath settles for besmirching or damaging enviable qualities in others so that they will not have them, either, or at least not be able to enjoy them as much.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

My wife gives the book (with 6 eyes on the cover) a two thumbs up! You also are able to identify different ones you have come into contact with over time, possibly even family who have sociopath qualities. It's a protection for you.

Outaservice

• willyloman
    willyloman

Fascinating topic, sounds like a "must read" book. This theory explains everything.

• S3RAPH1M
    S3RAPH1M

This reminds me of the documentary called "The Corporation" http://www.thecorporation.com/

• besty
    besty
    On the other hand, education can sometimes level the perceived legitimacy of an authority figure, and thereby limit unquestioning obedience. With education and knowledge, the individual man be able to hold on to the perception of him- or herself as a legitimate authority. P. 64, par 1.

I posted on the possible basis for the WTS anti-education policy here

The more I read about this the more convinced I am that the WTS leaders are reading the same stuff.

• snowbird
    snowbird

This certainly seems like a good read.

The personality of sociopaths is like that of Satan the Devil in that they appear nice and helpful on the surface, but underneath they're as cold and heartless as steel.

More and more I'm beginning to come around to Honesty's view that the WTS worships a demon god from Hell.

Sylvia

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Thanks, Barbara, I'm bookmarking this...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit