"Science is not Bad, but there is Bad Science."

by Rod P 46 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    The question I have for you is: What is the speed of the two beams of light travelling directly towards each other, relative to each other?

The speed of light does not change when the observer has it's own speed. You just cannot add the two speeds. Two objects traveling each with 90% of the speed of light, in the opposite direction. Can still see each other. When they measure the others speed it would be less then the speed of light.

I'll comment a bit more on this later. or shall we wait upon a thread for special relativity.

p.s. the &nbsp is HTML. I think it is the space character? for some reason it is inserted when replying a post.

Danny

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hey Rod,

just a thought...

Conventionally, it has always been taught that (1) several million years ago, Homo habilis, the first clear ancestor on man's lineage, appeared in Africa; (2) approximately one million years ago, Homo erectus, a more advanced form, appeared in Asia, Africa, and Europe; (3) about 180,000 years ago, "near men" called Neanderthals dominated Europe; and finally, (4) fully modern man, our direct ancestors, apeared in Europe 35,000 years ago, spreading into Africa and Asia and eventually reaching North America 12,000 years ago. Since, according to this scenario, there were no fully modern men anywhere in the world 70,000 years ago,

i have never read anywhere that H.Sapiens are only 70 000 years old. i always understood that the oldest human skulls that have ever been found were the Ethiopian Omo River skulls found by Dr. Richard Leakey in 1967 (McDougall 2005). These were orginally dated to 130 000 years old, but now have been dated to 195 000 years old. Also, I always thought it was estimated by paleoanthropologists that humans originated from somewhere in the rift valley, and not in europe. this is based on fossil evidence. this is not really new information.

This has serious implications for the whole established ;body of opinion heretofore.

i would be curious to know what serious implications this has on paleoanthropology.

P.S. - make sure you post a link to the relativity thread in this thread, in case we miss it.

• Rod P
    Rod P

Tetra,

Having a busy "work day" today, so trying to peak in on this thread kinda on the fly.

I should clarify a couple of points which I did not spell out clearly. This is not saying that "homo sapiens" are 70,000 years old. The information from Dr. Goodman from the 1980's is not saying modern man = homo sapiens. Rather, he is saying "homo sapiens sapiens" (which is a sub-species of "homo sapiens") that is "fully modern man". An example of this would be in the form of Cro-Magnon man, which was believed to have first appeared in Europe about 35,000 years ago.

In the 20+ years that have transpired since then, a lot of dates are being revised much further back in time. Like you say, "homo sapiens" were dated at 130,000 years, but now are being dated to 195,000 years ago.

(Whew!!! Squeezed out of that one, didn't I. )

This has serious implications for the whole established body of opinion heretofore.

"Why?" you ask.

I mean that it is going to upset the whole conventional wisdom that is being taught, necessitating a serious re-write of the whole history of the Indians of North and Central and South America.

"Why?" you may ask.

Well, apparently all over North America they have been finding bones and sophisticated tools that pre-date by many thousands of years that of "fully modern man" of Europe, which therefore, calls into question the whole Bering Strait Migration Theory as the sole explanation for the origin of these indigenous peoples. Add to that the fact that a serious examination of a number of Indian "myths and legends", (extracting the religious elements from those accounts), and you find that these tribes have been claiming that they have always been here, and there never was a migration to explain their respective origin. There are many other evidences to support the "Non-Migratory" thesis as well.

All of this has serious import for Archaeology and Paleoanthropology, and the information is pretty new. It has also aroused a fair bit of controversy over the years.

I will be sure to link up the Big Bang and Relativity Threads up with this one.

Rod P.

• Rod P
    Rod P

Danny,

Thanks for your answer.

I am not going to be responding to the question I posted until later. This is in case there are others who want to jump in on that one.

TTYL.

Rod P.

• hooberus
  • tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

rod,

Well, apparently all over North America they have been finding bones and sophisticated tools that pre-date by many thousands of years that of "fully modern man" of Europe, which therefore, calls into question the whole Bering Strait Migration Theory as the sole explanation for the origin of these indigenous peoples. Add to that the fact that a serious examination of a number of Indian "myths and legends", (extracting the religious elements from those accounts), and you find that these tribes have been claiming that they have always been here, and there never was a migration to explain their respective origin. There are many other evidences to support the "Non-Migratory" thesis as well.

hmmm...interesting. i will have to look into this. perhaps another thread, another time. thanks.

TS

• Rod P
    Rod P

hooberus,

Thank you for those interesting links. However, I wish to reiterate, I do not want this particular thread to get into the debate on the "Big Bang Theory" or the Theory of Relativity. I would like to see these discussed on separate threads, because they are topics that are so extensive in and of themselves. Therefore, I would ask you to re-present your links on the new threads as they come on stream. I will create the links on this thread to link up to the others as they become ready, so that all of you will become informed that they are there.

The intent of this thread was and is to present a basis why Scientists who are not an integral part of the scientific establishment, should be given a fair chance to be heard.

I also wish to state up front here that while you and everyone else are entitled to express your own opinions, and to share some of your sources, I am not at all inclined to get into the game of springing some kind of "hidden agenda" by turning the threads into simple apologetics for God and/or religion.

I think a proper and more valid discussion would be to let the facts speak for themselves. I think that scientific opionion should be able to stand on its own, without necessarily appealing to divinity. If it cannot stand on its own merits, then it is most likely not scientifically factual.

I cannot guarantee that I will be able to accomplish this all on my own. Therefore, while I may make certain initial contributions, I would expect others who become involved in the upcoming threads to jump in with their participation as well. This should help "round out" the discussions or create more balanced presentations. This is in everyone's interest. If I make assumptions that are unfounded or unsupported by the facts, then I would hope that someone would point those out to me. (Sometimes it gets hard to be humble, so do expect a little tit for tat along the way.)

At the end of the day, I would think it is OK to discuss the possible implications of the various theories that are presented, which may well include the argument that the facts are consistent with the notion of a possible spiritual connection. I think that at this stage, all reasonable possiblities should be considered.

Finally, it may be that we cannot have control about the content of other links or articles in terms of religious content, yet they may still have important scientific evidences that should be looked at as relevant to the topic we are exploring. When this happens, I would suggest it would be best to extract the relevant points from the articles that have to do with the scientific aspects, to keep the discussion focused on the science, rather than getting into the debate about god vs. no god. The latter should be kept until the very end, if the evidence suggests it may be relevant.

Rod P.

• hooberus
    hooberus
    I also wish to state up front here that while you and everyone else are entitled to express your own opinions, and to share some of your sources, I am not at all inclined to get into the game of springing some kind of "hidden agenda" by turning the threads into simple apologetics for God and/or religion.

The reason for posting the links was primarily the issues of bias and peer review. Not primarily an attempt to engage in "turning the threads into simple apologetics for God and/or religion" or debates "about god vs. no god."

• Rod P
    Rod P

hooberous,

Fair enough.

I was not coming down on YOU that your motive was about a religious agenda. I was trying to propose that we all play this game as objectively as possible, letting the Science do the talking, and that applies to everyone, including me. The article IS useful in terms of the bias issue and peer review, and so, thanks for the contribution.

There are some sources that are at my disposal which I am tempted to use because of some rather cogent arguments, but which, because it includes some religious philosophical elements, I am hesitant to use, lest it be construed that I am demonstrating a bias that is virtually as unjustified as the bias I accuse the scientists of being guilty of at certain times.

I have also wrestled with the problem of being able to utilize such sources if they have a useful contribution to make notwithstanding its religious bent. I have decided to throw such things into the "pot" for discussion, but then supplement that with my own editorial comments that will, for the time being, remove the "religious elements". At least, I will try hard to achieve that.

This may be easier said than done. Science, in its quest for objectivity, cannot allow any notion of "god" being included or introduced into whatever science is investigating, since that would not be considered "objective". There is no observable empirical evidence that can be referred to, and therefore must be excluded from the equation or from the science. On the other hand, what if certain arguments or evidences DO make the case that things seem to be coming down on the side of god, or at least can be reasonably inferred from such evidence? Should we ignore that or dismiss it outright? The latter is what I feel should be reserved for the end discussion, while the former is what should be considered as the body of the discussion, since it is the part that has to do with gathering and determining the scientific facts.

We may be walking a very fine line here. The atheist scientist may be hell bent on dismissing "god" at every turn, at any price, because "god" is unthinkable in terms of any reality modality. That would be his bias. Similarly, the believer that is already convinced that "god" is behind everything may be equally tempted to argue that every piece of evidence serves only to support his position that this is but another "proof" for "god". That would be his bias.

Again, I don't know how successful we are going to be at achieving such ideal, unbiased discussion, but it's worth a try. I have noticed many discussions on quite a few threads on JWD forum where things are pretty much polarized into two camps. The atheists tend to pooh-pooh any point of view that seems to include anything "spiritual" or "providential". They regard "god" as beyond the science, and therefore has no place in the discussion. They say that it relies on belief and opinion, and not on physical proof or evidence. The "believers", on the other hand, jump right in with insults and insinuations hurled at the atheists, denigrading their "godless philosophies and points of view". They find it incomprehensible how atheists can be so blind about the "intelligent design" behind this marvelous universe, and this could only exist if there were "god" behind it all. And besides, God has revealed Himself to mankind thru his inspired scriptures such as the Bible or the Quran.

I suspect that all too often, neither one is truly "listening" to what the other one is trying to say, since they are too busy putting the other side down, often with no less than knee-jerk reactions. Either that, or they are quietly telling themselves "Oh, that's another one of those believers (or non-believers). I'll just ignore that, or move on." This is the kind of bias I would somehow like to have eliminated or at least minimized as much as is humanly possible for discussion purposes, so that we all might benefit from a real learning experience.

Rod P.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    I suspect that all too often, neither one is truly "listening" to what the other one is trying to say, since they are too busy putting the other side down, often with no less than knee-jerk reactions.

true Rod, this does happen.

another poster got me thinking about carl sagan today. and i think about carl sagan when i read what you wrote above. his wife, ann druyan, described him as being an honest listener, even when he disagreed with his opponent in debate. he truly wanted to understand where the other person was coming from. she said that this often disarmed his opponents, and made them receptive to his side of the argument. this is truly constructive, and i would call it rational maturity. one does not give up their beliefs by truly trying to understand where the other party is coming from.

i thought i would post a couple of Sagan quotes that have to do with what you are talking about here, IMO:

I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true. [Carl Sagan, The Burden Of Skepticism]
    In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion. [Carl Sagan, 1987 CSICOP keynote address]

and Keay Davidson on Carl Sagan in the New York Times Book Review:

All his life, Carl Sagan was troubled by grand dichotomies—between reason and irrationalism, between wonder and skepticism. The dichotomies clashed within him. He yearned to believe in marvelous things—in flying saucers, in Martians, in glistening civilizations across the Milky Way. Yet reason usually brought him back to Earth. Usually; not always. A visionary dreams of a better world than this one. He refuses to think that modern society and its trappings—money, marriage, children, a nine-to-five career, and obeisance to a waving flag and an inscrutable God—are all there is. Sagan was blinded, but not by these. He was blinded by the sheer glory of the new cosmos that was unveiled by science during the first two decades of his life. This cosmos was an ever-expanding, unbounded wonderland of billions of galaxies. And across the light-years, Sagan dreamed, random molecular jigglings had perhaps spawned creeping, crawling, thinking creatures on alien landscapes bathed in the glow of alien suns.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit