Why don't Jehovah's Witneses offer childrens activities?

by Dragonlady76 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I have always wondered why the JW's don't have a playroom/area or offer kids activities during the meetings. I would imagine it's been brought to the societys attention at some point. It just makes so much sense to offer a place where kids and go and play, where they can be read to, have them sing, color pages on bible related stories etc..... . Kids learn best by interacting with material geared towards their age group,not by sitting like drones for 2 hours. Plus it gives overworked parents especially the moms a chance to actually listen during the meetings. It seems like the society has no interest in children or families. They are bleeding kids left and right, now, imagine if they had paid more attention to the youth and instilled a desire to attend the meetings from an early age with good memories. Other churches do this so why can't the dubs? Just another observation; ever notice how all the DC arenas never have a play area either and if they do it's closed off?

DL76

• jgnat
    jgnat

Imagine if they did commit resources to produce child-friendly literature and spaces. It would take considerable expense in time and resources to coordinate that kind of activity. Someone would have to supervise the children. This would provide a new role for nurturers who are currently required to sell magazines like everybody else.

Why don't JW's offer children's activities? Because children and their mothers are at the bottom of the power structure.

In local churches, it is usually the Sunday School teacher team where women learn their leadership skills while raising their children. We couldn't give women that much power in the society, could we?

• freedom96
    freedom96

I currently go to a non-denominational church, and they offer seperate rooms for each grade and age group. It is fantastic, and I cannot praise it enough.

The WTS just wants to be different at all costs, and it is stupid, and are only hurting themselves.

I have a toddler, and I cannot imagine trying to sit through the meeting for two hours, trying to keep him from running everywhere. There just is no possible way at all.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Because they HATE kids... nothing except their Bible Stories Book is for kids...

And they protect pedophiles... nuff said.

"I hate kids, disgusting little things....glad I never was one..."- The Trunch / Matilda

u/d (of the has 3 kids class)

• blondie
    blondie

Up until the 1940's, the WTS did have separate activities for children and older children. But then they were discontinued to the admonition that it was the parents responsibility to teach their children.

The Bible Students still have separate activities and playrooms for children.

*** Proclaimers chap. 16 pp. 245-246 Meetings for Worship, Instruction, and Encouragement ***

The year 1918 came, and the remnant, or remaining ones of the anointed, were still on the earthly scene. The number of children at their meetings had also greatly increased. Often the youngsters had simply been allowed to play while their parents studied. Yet, young people, too, needed to learn to "seek righteousness, seek meekness," if they would be "hid in the day of the LORD’s anger." (Zeph. 2:3, KJ) So, in 1918 the Society encouraged the congregations to arrange for a juvenile class for children from 8 to 15 years of age. In some places there were even primary classes for those too young to attend the juvenile class. At the same time, parental responsibility toward the children was again emphasized.

This led to other developments. The Golden Age, in 1920, carried a feature entitled "Juvenile Bible Study," with questions accompanied by Scripture citations in which the answers could be found. That same year, The Golden Age ABC was published; it was an illustrated booklet for use by parents in teaching basic Bible truths and Christian qualities to their youngsters. A book entitled The Way to Paradise, written by W. E. Van Amburgh, followed in 1924. It was adapted to "intermediate students of the Bible." For a time it was used at the meetings for younger ones. Additionally, in America, "Junior Witnesses" had their own arrangements for field service. In Switzerland a youth group formed an association called "Jehovah’s Youth," for those between 13 and 25 years of age. They had their own secretary’s office in Berne, and a special magazine, Jehovah’s Youth, was edited and printed on the Society’s presses there. These youths had their own meetings and even put on Bible dramas, as they did in the Volkshaus in Zurich for an audience of 1,500.

What was taking place, however, was that an organization was developing within the organization of Jehovah’s servants. This would not contribute to unity, and it was discontinued in 1936. In April 1938, during a visit to Australia, J. F. Rutherford, the Society’s president, found that a class for children was being held apart from the convention for adults. He immediately arranged for all the children to be brought into the main convention, which was greatly to their benefit.

In that same year, The Watchtower reviewed the entire matter of separate classes for young folks in the congregation. That study again emphasized the fact that parents are responsible to instruct their own children. (Eph. 6:4; compare Deuteronomy 4:9, 10; Jeremiah 35:6-10.) It also showed that the Bible provides no precedent for segregating young ones by means of junior classes. Instead, they were to be present with their parents to hear God’s Word. (Deut. 31:12, 13; Josh. 8:34, 35) When further explanation of study material was needed, this could be given by the parents at home. Furthermore, the articles pointed out that arrangements for such separate classes were actually detracting from the house-to-house preaching of the good news. How so? Because the teachers were staying out of the field service to prepare for these classes and to conduct them. So, all separate classes for youths were discontinued.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Aha. I was half right. From the above article, thanks, Blondie. I see that separate classes did not help inculcate a cult mindset.

This would not contribute to unity

It appears that teaching a child to sit still through droning talks is the most important lesson. And, confirmation to my own gut instinct,

arrangements for such separate classes were actually detracting from the house-to-house preaching of the good news. How so? Because the teachers were staying out of the field service to prepare for these classes and to conduct them.
  • Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    It would take considerable expense in time and resources to coordinate that kind of activity

Yes it would, but I bet that if it were proposed, many people would chip in with old toys or buy new ones and give money to help keep it up, it does not have to be anything fancy, just a little something. If they can spare brothers to walk the parking lot, do mics, head counts, usher... etc... I'm sure they could spare 2 or 3 sisters to administer and supervise the activities.

DL76

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

You're kidding right? This will never happen as long as everything is directed by Elders that either don't have kids, or buy into the whole "discipline" idea.

Make 'em sit still in a chair for 2 hours...if they won't do it...be loving and beat 'em with a belt, and drag them back down the isle in front of all their friends while they are still crying. That's all the activity they need in a perfect society.

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76
    That study again emphasized the fact that parents are responsible to instruct their own children.

Blondie, I don't see how they can defend that view point in regards to providing kh childrens activities. The parents are already the sole care takers of their children and provide them with a home bible study in addition to family study time of the society's literaure. So to me that above comment from the society does not make sense.

DL76

• talesin
    talesin

Discipline and control are obvious cult tactics. Happy children ask questions, are bold and decisive, and these traits are not wanted in the b'Org. It works better for them to have parents beat their children into submission.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit