So maybe I am occasionally bitter...

by feelinglost 16 Replies latest jw friends

• watchtowerhater
    watchtowerhater

My mother who was a faithful JW had A.L.S. (Lou Gherigs disease). She was in a care facility for the last year of her life. I would go to visit her despite the fact that she was not thrilled to see me (being DF'd and all) but she did like to see my three girls at least. She never outright told me to not visit her. But when she became rather ill, and was on her death bed, my "Elder" brothers tried to keep me from visiting her in the hospital. But they couldn't stop me. They even tried to keep me away from her funeral (which was in a KH). But they could not stop me there either. I told them that I would be at the funeral, sitting in the front row with the rest of my family. If there was not a place for me and my girls, then we'd sit on the stage if need be. I told them that under the circumstances I didn't think that "their god" was to happy with them. Anyway, there was seats waiting for us. DF'd or not, "their" rules do not apply. Sure I can't make them associate, or talk to me etc, but that's their choice, not mine. The JW's just love to think they have such a hold on us by shunning the ones that disagree with their teachings. Would we truly even need these discussion boards if our families would still associate with us despite our choices in life? It seems to be the number one complaint with all exjw's. The treatment they receive from family and friends still associated.

You must be an only child. Good point to make though, as to just who will look after your mother should something happen to your Dad? Then what. As you state, it surely will not be the congregation. Unless she has a large inheritance, then of course they will want her to leave it to the Society. One can truly never really break free from this horrid religion when we still have close family member still associated.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Welcome Lost, Bitter isn't a good enough response for being shunned and snubbed. The best cure for bitter is to get good and pissed off. Then fix whatever it was making you bitter. Never be sad you were shunned, be mad you were shunned.
    It's much easier to deal with anger than depression . . . AND it feels better too! :-)

• feelinglost
    feelinglost

"Did you feel bad saying this? Cause I want to say the same thing to both my parents. I have such a wonderful husband he would support me in helping my parents when they could no longer live on their own. I have been tempted to "threaten" my parents with "what are you going to do when you can no longer care for yourself?", but I feel guilty about that. Don't know. Just wondering. "

Purza- I hate hurting my mom, because I don't feel like any of this is her fault- but I finally got some things off my chest, and it felt good, and she knew I was right that I would be the one taking care of her. I have two half-brothers (we have the same dad), so she would pretty much be entirely my responsibility if something happened to my dad.

• Purza
    Purza
    because I don't feel like any of this is her fault- but I finally got some things off my chest, and it felt good, and she knew I was right that I would be the one taking care of her.

I totally understand that feeling. Glad you were able to communicate that to her.

Purza

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Sounds like my Mom as well. They told my mom that she isn't a true widow, because she has children. (whatever) As long as she has my brother (who is D'A) and me, she has someone to rely on/take care of her. So the elders may very well tell her that it's ok to live with you.

My pagan 'Babylonian the Great' church would be appalled to even think something like what the cult promotes as normal behavior towards those who disagree with their doctrines.

I'm sooo happy I saw the truth about the apostate WT GB bastards.

• Carol
    Carol

My youngest brother has been df"d for 30+ years, however he is very comfortable financially........when convient my mother "associates" with him...like when she needs $$$$.

My sister (she's a pioneer her husband an elder) moved with her husband and 3 children back in with my mother 8 years ago....to "Help out" while mom was undergoing Chemo, etc., my mother did all the cooking, laundry, cleaning, etc. After running up Mom's credit cards, getting her to co-sign for car loans, co-sign for cell phones, etc., moved out because the $600 a week my mother requested for their share of the expenses (my bro-in-law clears $1000 + per week). Mom refinanced a $60,000.00 mortgage to $140,000.00+.....to pay off all of her credit cards and the loans she co-signed (don't ask how many credit cards) she had a bad winter....couldn't sell houses.....fell behind in bills. My "Pioneer" sister went to our df'd brother and asked him to help Mom. The elders said it was okay as he had a responsibility to take care of his mother (the same elders that told her she had to take care of her mother who had given her away at 3 months and told her she couldn't divorce our father even though he swung first and asked questions later). My brother bought my mother's house for what she owed on it giving her a life estate in the property and makes all the mortgage and tax payments and does all the upkeep. My sister is disturbed because he gets the house when Mom is gone! Go figure!

As much as you are tempted, don't say anything you might want to take back later! You can be assured you will be the one to take care of you parents in their old age the JW's won't.

PS I stopped sending $$$$ when I found out it was going to keep my sister in the Pioneer service......

• Es
    Es

welcome to the board feelinglost. I feel for you and can kind of understand the pain your feeling, although my family still have to tiniest bit to do with me, they too are not coming to my wedding and i know how much that hurts. :(Its a bit of a shame your dad cant make your mum realise that she needs you and you need her. Look forward to hearing from you again es

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit