Question for those who have left the WT with small children??

by PaNiCAtTaCk 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I left with two small children, and I just asked them how it worked for us. At first we did not celebrate anything for years. Life was very much like being in limbo. We did not go to meetings and we did not celebrate holidays. Then my older brother got disfellowshipped and he thought it was really sad that we did not do anything. So he and a friend of mine threw the biggest Halloween and then xmas we had ever seen. It actually was fun.

Now we celebrate all the time and my brother went and got back into being a witness. He feels bad for giving us the holidays and we still thank him. It is a really good time. We don't so much believe in Christ nor anything we celebrate, but we do have some great family memories now and usually at xmas we invite all of our odds and ends friends that have nowhere to go over. This year should be really fun since finding JWD!! We do the dinner and presents and have a great time.

The youngest never went to meetings and we all slather her with the fun. It is not nearly as sinister as we were led to believe. I read above where it said that young ones adapt and they do...in a very good way. They now join after school activities and we do charity work.

My vote is let them do something; limbo was not a good thing.

We actually have saxophone lessons and volleyball games to go to. Birthday parties and PTA meetings. My daughter just said that it felt so odd to be a JW in school. She is happy because she has more friends. They have walked in Dallas Xmas parade and other local parades. Joined gymnastics and gone to dozens of B-day parties. Me personally, I like to see them do all that I never could and I feel my kids have adapted well. I think we over participate because we were so starved for fun for so long.

Funny story............the first year we celebrated, my daughter made a huge ..I mean HUGE xmas list. Pony and all. Then this girl in our apartments, at the time, had no money. Her family was from

• talesin
    talesin
    Help me! What do I do! Will I be destroyed for this??? I cant believe Im even asking these questions.

It's okay, friend. I had these feelings for a long time after I left. The panic would strike, then later I would feel really stupid because I knew intellectually that it was all lies. In time, you will find it happens less and less, so take it easy on yourself.

Your child is SO lucky to be able to start school,,, not being branded as a 'weirdo' because of JW status. You are doing the right thing! Good advice here from the other parents.

tal

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

ok, does the post I made look better? I just realized I should not type without coffee in my system.

• glenwoodswoman
    glenwoodswoman

I have not posted ina while, but you really tugged on my heart strings, panic! My kids were teenagers when I left, and I have since learned that they stretched it as far as they could in school to be like the other kids, and always feeling guilty after sneaking a birthday cupcake or pretending to make a wish list for Santa.

So, rest assured, you are saving your children a world pf grief and guilt. Keep talking to that counselor and then: Let is go

Glennie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit