JW at my door this weekend

by Dawn 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Dawn
    Dawn

My neighborhood gets worked about 1 or 2 times a year - and since I have been out a long time, and moved from another city, the JW's here do not know that I used to be one.

So - this poor unsuspecting man stopped on my doorstep Saturday morning to share a scripture with me about the "last days" that we are living it. I took the opportunity to point out that his organization has predicted Armageddon more than once and it did not happen (of course - slipping in Deut 18 about the false prophet ).

He started to try and explain the whole 1975 fiasco when I stopped him and said that I was referring to their claim that Armageddon would come before the generation of 1914 had passed away.

Would you believe - he sat there on my doorstep and lied to my face telling me that the JW's NEVER taught that Armageddon would come before the generation of 1914 passed away I asked him a couple of times to make sure I was clear about his statement. Then I asked him how long he had been a JW - he had been in the "org" for over 40 years.

At that point - I told him point blank that we had nothing further to talk about because he had not been honest with me. I told him that I knew for a fact his organization taught that doctrine - it was in their liturature, it was taught from the platform, and until the doctrine was changed a few years back it was on the front cover of EVERY watchtower issued and could still be found in the older volumes.

The conversation ended rather abruptly. I guess they must be pretty hard up for converts if they now go door to door lying about what they believe!

• Honesty
    Honesty

But he wasn't lying to you. He was using theocratic warfare to fool the demon who was sitting on your shoulder.

• bebu
    bebu

How maddening!

Sounds like cognitive dissonance to me. Lying to one's self is one way to get rid of the ol' heartbreak of dissonance. Too bad he bumped into YOU.

bebu

• whyamihere
    whyamihere
    He was using theocratic warfare to fool the demon who was sitting on your shoulder.

Ok, I spit out my coke on the computer laughing. My kid woke up because I laughed so hard and I almost peed my pants...LOL!

Brooke

• Dawn
    Dawn

That was funny Honesty!

I was tempted to retort with some comment like "How nice that you've learned to silence your inner critic", but I figured he'd wouldn't get it - he's apparently spending way too much mental energy trying to reprogram his memory

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

As I've posted before, that is why I stopped being a jw. One day door knocking about the literal generation, the next day it's figurative!!!!

What scares me is if the wts said be like abraham and sacrifice your children as a restful smoke to me, how many loyal ones would slice their kids over a fire with that glazed look of righteousness in their eyes?

• blondie
    blondie

Dawn, you probably gave him something to talk about with the car group and with the congregation for the next 5 years.

The best thing would be to have a photocopy of where a WT or Awake said there in no uncertain terms.

g94 11/8 p. 10 The Real Significance of 1914 ***

AS INDICATED on page 4, "this magazine builds confidence in the Creator’s promise of a peaceful and secure new world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away."

g93 3/22 p. 11 Why Such Eager Expectation of the New World? ***

Jesus also indicated that this composite sign would be completed during the life of the generation that saw it begin in 1914. At Matthew 24:32-34, he said: "Now learn from the fig tree as an illustration this point: Just as soon as its young branch grows tender and it puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. Likewise also you, when you see all these things, know that he is near at the doors. Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur."

w92 8/15 p. 9 From Historic Hospital to Unique Kingdom Hall ***

The magazine now known as The Watchtower is freely available to visitors. Since 1879 this magazine has grown in circulation to over 15 million copies semimonthly in 111 languages. It directs individuals to the Bible’s promise that some of the generation of 1914 will be alive to see good physical and spiritual health restored to mankind. (Isaiah 33:24) The entire earth will be transformed into a paradise by millions of willing volunteers. (Psalm 37:29)

w91 6/15 pp. 6-7 Soon No More Sickness or Death! ***

Jesus’ disciples asked for a sign as to when the conclusion of the system of things would be. In response Jesus foretold in detail the escalating world events that have taken place since the outbreak of World War I in 1914. Then he added: "When you see all these things, know that he is near at the doors. Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur." So some of the generation living in 1914 will live to see the end of the present world system.—Matthew 24:33, 34.

*** w90 10/15 p. 20 Be Thankful—Jehovah’s Messianic Kingdom Rules ***

And as the generation that heard Christ’s judgment message lived to experience the destruction he foretold, so the present generation since 1914 "will by no means pass away" before the foretold "great tribulation" comes.—Matthew 24:21, 22, 34.

24 What must we do to survive the great tribulation and live on into God’s new world? Regardless of wrong expectations any of us may have had, we must guard against falling asleep as to our Christian duties. (Habakkuk 2:3; 1 Thessalonians 5:1-6) Those able to recall events from 1914 are becoming ever fewer. Thus, we need to be alert; there is no time to lose. (Matthew 24:42)

*** w88 11/1 p. 6 The War to End Wars ***

This explains why the earth has been such a dangerous place since 1914. The Bible foretold the result of Satan’s downfall: "Woe for the earth . . . because the Devil has come down to you, having great anger, knowing he has a short period of time." (Revelation 12:12) How short a time? Jesus said: "This generation [the one seeing the events starting in 1914] will by no means pass away until all these things occur." (Matthew 24:34) What things? All the disasters and turmoil that Jesus prophesied for our day.

*** g88 4/8 p. 14 The Last Days—What’s Next? ***

Likewise today, most of the generation of 1914 has passed away. However, there are still millions on earth who were born in that year or prior to it. And although their numbers are dwindling, Jesus’ words will come true, "this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened." This is yet another reason for believing that Jehovah’s thieflike day is imminent. So, what events should alert Christians watch for?

• Purza
    Purza

How conveniently they forget. . . . or how they make their own reality.

Purza

• gespro
    gespro

GO GET 'EM DAWN

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

He wasn't LYING to you. He was SHARING NEW LIGHT. :-P

I actually had a dub-ette knock on the door today. Unfortunately, I was on the phone with a customer at the time, so my wife took the Watchtower & Awake instead of allowing me the priviledge of sending her off with her tail between her legs. I suppose I should thumb through the magazines to find out firsthand how much wackier they have gotten since I left.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit