Still religeous?

by John Doe 27 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

A common analogy to explain Deism is that the Universe is like a clock that God created and wound, but then set it loose and does not actively participate in it's functioning. Ben Franklin said that Deism is probably true, but it's not very practical. :-)

Incidentally, Ben Franklin's autobiography is a great read--he's hilarious and a genius. After reading his work, I find the Discovery Channel's 100 greatest Americans including the likes of Tom Cruise to be insulting. But I digress. . .

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    Still religeous?

Been there, done that, barely survived, won't ever go there again!

J

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I considered myself to remain a Jehovah's Witness for years after my exodus from the borganization, because I had no access to the internet until 1999 and though I had purposefully forced the governing haughty to df me in 1992. It wasn't that I had intentions of going back. It was because I was so inundated with disinformation from the teachings and practices of the witlesses.....and from almost constant study of the scriptures.

There were many strange and profound spiritual experiences and signs given to me which were leading me out of being borganized that I underwent before I finally accessed the internet and began having my eyes opened by websites such as this one. I did not segue into yet another religious medium, as so many have done, for I began realizing a great deal of disillusionment with what I had known, even that which I had thought was true before I was indoctrinated into the jdub cult......and I find now....that all religious beliefs, teachings and practices are just so much bunk.....and have been fostered by some ancient, control-freaky, power-hungry and chauvinistic horn-dogs. To me now, religion in any form is totally repugnant, though I normally manifest an ambivalence or tolerance about anyone else's religious preferences, as I respect others' right to choose whether they wish to be led about by a ring in their noses.

The oath that I took before baptism as a jdub was not the one they have now which binds the oath-takers to the borg. No, the one I took then was prior to the current one and only professed allegiance to Jehovah God and his son, Jesus Christ. So I did not actually become apostate according to the oath I took until I began to be disillusioned with the things I'd thought were true in the scriptures.....and with the God and his son that I'd learned to love and trust. After my eyes were opened on the internet, my whole outlook changed.

I took a test on a website not long ago. One that was posted here on JWD. I tested as a neo-pagan. (pagan >noun a person holding religious beliefs other than those of the main world religions.) I don't really hold with the "neo-" portion of that designation, but the pagan part isn't bad like I used to think. I used to think it was strongly related to atheism or devil-worship. It isn't necessarily. It's a non-religion designation sorta.

Sometimes, I wondered about all those powerful experiences and signs which I experienced pre-internet access. But I pretty much believe now that they were the result of OD-ing on the scriptures until I was experiencing a peculiar version of what I so strongly believed in at the time. After all....they dwindled and then screeched to a sudden halt when I got online and began to realize for whom and why the bible was created.

Frannie

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Nope. Ive had a gut full of god stuff.

You know that alcoholism treatment where they let you drink booze but they give you something that makes you so violently sick you never want to drink again? (aversion therapy) - well, im quite prepared to believe there is some religious truth out there, but it makes me feel so ill just thinking about it, I could never partake again.

When someone uses the phrase 'the lord jesus christ' or 'jesus is my lord' it makes me irrationally and violently angry (I know, and im so cute and sweet normally hah ah hah hahahh !!)

• Evanescence
    Evanescence
    When someone uses the phrase 'the lord jesus christ' or 'jesus is my lord' it makes me irrationally and violently angry (I know, and im so cute and sweet normally hah ah hah hahahh !!)

Blessed be our lord Jesus christ

evanescence

• Es
    Es

heya John, I was brought up as a JW and faded over 3 years ago. I no longer really believe in religion full stop. I believe there is a God and thats bout it. I think after spending a big part of my life as a JW and then dealing with everything you have to when you leave it wouldnt be worth it for me to be in another religion. Hope you find your way es

• jimakazi
    jimakazi

Nope - not me personally.

But just because I no longer have faith doesn't mean i can't respect those who do - no matter what it is.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Not religious anymore. As to a God, I'm not sure. Who knows what's the cause for all the universe to be. I don't think it makes much difference if he exist if we don't see any evidence that he is interested in us.

Ken P.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I believe in God, and Jesus, but beyond that Im not sure I want to know. One thing im NOT going to do is join another religion!

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

I'm not religious at all. Similar to James, I choose to let my own heart lead me to God rather than any man-made organization . Deism sounds most like my personal philosophy (if you can call it that). I beieve that there is a God, but he is OBVIOUSLY not meddling in mankinds day to day affairs.

I think the ultimate realization of every human being is to learn to understand, display and accept LOVE (sounds sappy doesn't it?). If the majority of people on earth understood that then the majority of our problems would be solved. No more doing things out of mere greed, selfishness or lust for power - but every decision would be based on LOVE and take into account the effects of today's actions on present and future generations. Furthermore the world powers would look after the interest of people in EVERY nation, not just those whose resources they wish to exploit.

So, that's where I am right now - and I'm not pressed to move anyplace else at the moment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit