Still religeous?

by John Doe 27 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

I'm curious how many here were Witnesses. For those that were, what are your current religeous affiliations?

I'm still evolving, but currently I consider myself to be a cross between an agnostic and a deist. I sometimes wonder what I'd be if I hadn't been raised in a religeous family.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hey john doe,

i was raised a wit, and remained one until about 6 months ago. i am now an atheist. it wasn't just the JWs that fell apart, it was religion in general.

i wonder too what i would be if i hadn't been raised a wit. but the nice thing about being an atheist or an agnostic, is that it is okay to be wrong. if the existence of god is ever proven, it wouldn't be a big deal. i'd just become a theist with a smile and a shake of the head.

• Carmel
    Carmel

You could check profiles of those you want to know about. Your curiosity into others choices is identical to many. The question had been asked many times.

carmel

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

I'm not religious any more.

I got fed up with someone telling me that significance is separate from what I am; and somewhere other than where I am. I don't need some ignorant pompous middlemen, or some confusing and ridicules book to tell me what is Divine and what is not; or where God is and where God isn't. I have a heart to teach me, and eyes to see.

j

• John Doe
    John Doe
    You could check profiles of those you want to know about. Your curiosity into others choices is identical to many. The question had been asked many times.

carmel

Yes, I could if I had anyone in particular in mind, Carmel. I'm more interested in people's thoughts on their religeon, in which their profiles are normally not as dynamic as their responces to questions. I've already gotten two interesting, thought-provoking responses, which are exactly the type I was looking for. 8^) I'm sure this has been discussed many times, but I've noticed this is a high volume board, and the new ones might not have posted on this yet. My apologies if you're tired of reading this type of thread.

• Honesty
    Honesty

For 15 years I was a deluded braindead Joe Hoba's Witless and the Governing Body was my god.

Jesus is my God and Lord now.

I am a member of a Baptist church but that could change any second I find out any teachings that are not solidly based on the bible. I don't owe any religion my allegiance.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I am no-thing.

But for the sake of understanding, I think Taoist closely aproximates my philosophy. Deism seems to follow that too from a more western standpoint--I think?

In either case I am, and I just am learning to be.

• M@el5trom
    M@el5trom

double post - see below - oops

• M@el5trom
    M@el5trom

I think I am leaning toward Deism but am still very much open right now. I can't bring myself to believe that only Christians (or Muslims or Jews or Hindus etc) have it right, since you can find people from each of those religions that is firmly convinced that is the way to follow God.
    I'm still researching, but here is some info about Deism from the following website. What I've read so far seems to fit with what makes sense to me from everything I've read. BTW - I grew up a Witness and am currently inactive (but not DF/DA/etc.)
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/deism.htm

• Deism involves the belief in the existence of God, on purely rational grounds, without any reliance on revealed religion or religious authority.
    • Do not accept the belief of most religions that God revealed himself to humanity through the writings of the Bible, the Qur'an or other religious texts.
    • Disagree with strong Atheists who assert that there is no evidence of the existence of God.
    • They regard their faith as a natural religion, as contrasted with one that is revealed by a God or which is artificially created by humans.
    • Deists base their belief in the existence of God on their observations of design found throughout nature.
    • They believe that one cannot access God through any organized religion, set of beliefs, rituals, sacraments or other practice.
    • God has not selected a chosen people (e.g. Jews or Christians) to be the recipients of any special revelation or gifts.
  • Evanescence
    Evanescence

Well I am an active-happy Catholic

so i'm still religious

Evanescence

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit